Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikey23

testosterone and acne

does increased testosterone have any effect on acne?

Hi Mikey =)

That is so controversial now a days! There is definately a link to increased testosterone and acne or the severity of acne, but not everyone with high testosterone levels gets acne. :think:

Hmm, so it appears that along with the increase in testosterone and/or in growth hormone/IGF-1 you musthave an increase in inflammatory products.

If you have such a combination, acne tends develop, even in people that NEVER had acne before!

Therefore, and we have had males on here do it, when you take DHEA supplements, Whey Powders, or Pro-testosterone or Anti-Aromatase products you are asking for it. These products are designed to help build muscle and to do that we need Insulin, IGF-1, and Testosterone (among others). If these hormones & growth factors are not eliminated quickly or properly, they will remain in our system until various inflammatory products come out to reduce their levels. When that happens not only was inflammation created naturally and primarily through the workout, but also secondarily because of the increased levels of these hormones & growth factors in our system. Oh but it doesn't stop there because if one is also Carb Loading or eating foods that boost our insulin, thus testoserone and IGF-1 levels, and LDL Cholesterol levels we've also given our body MORE fuel to produce more Inflammatory Products.

Remember, while it's more so a symptom of a larger problem, acne is classified on it's own as an Inflammatory Skin Disease!

Well, that's my rational at this early in the morning ;)

I read somewhere that many males with acne usually have higher testosterone levels than those who don't have acne.

I don't read too much into it though, the internet is full of BS, but it would explain why steroid users sometimes get acne.

Look on the bright side though, high testosterone levels have many pro's aswell as a few con's :)

Hi Mikey =)

That is so controversial now a days! There is definately a link to increased testosterone and acne or the severity of acne, but not everyone with high testosterone levels gets acne. :think:

Hmm, so it appears that along with the increase in testosterone and/or in growth hormone/IGF-1 you musthave an increase in inflammatory products.

If you have such a combination, acne tends develop, even in people that NEVER had acne before!

Therefore, and we have had males on here do it, when you take DHEA supplements, Whey Powders, or Pro-testosterone or Anti-Aromatase products you are asking for it. These products are designed to help build muscle and to do that we need Insulin, IGF-1, and Testosterone (among others). If these hormones & growth factors are not eliminated quickly or properly, they will remain in our system until various inflammatory products come out to reduce their levels. When that happens not only was inflammation created naturally and primarily through the workout, but also secondarily because of the increased levels of these hormones & growth factors in our system. Oh but it doesn't stop there because if one is also Carb Loading or eating foods that boost our insulin, thus testoserone and IGF-1 levels, and LDL Cholesterol levels we've also given our body MORE fuel to produce more Inflammatory Products.

Remember, while it's more so a symptom of a larger problem, acne is classified on it's own as an Inflammatory Skin Disease!

Excellent post!

My only point of contention is about Whey. It's just protein, from milk, I wasn't under the impression it would affect your levels of testosterone (although, nobody takes whey without working out, so I guess it doesn't really matter).

I'm probably over-reacting though; during Christmas, my cousin though my Whey was a steriod. lol.

Hi Mikey =)

Excellent post!

My only point of contention is about Whey. It's just protein, from milk, I wasn't under the impression it would affect your levels of testosterone (although, nobody takes whey without working out, so I guess it doesn't really matter).

I'm probably over-reacting though; during Christmas, my cousin though my Whey was a steriod. lol.

Whey will boost your levels of Insulin and IGF-1. If you have higher levels of these two, then you may indirectly also increase your testosterone levels, yet despite this, higher and prolonged levels of IGF-1 will increase the presence of inflammatory products. Remember acne is but another sign or form of inflammation. ;-)

: Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Nov;80(5):1246-53. Related Articles, Links

Glycemia and insulinemia in healthy subjects after lactose-equivalent meals of milk and other food proteins: the role of plasma amino acids and incretins.

Nilsson M, Stenberg M, Frid AH, Holst JJ, Bjorck IM.

Department of Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Lund University, Sweden. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Milk products deviate from other carbohydrate-containing foods in that they produce high insulin responses, despitetheir low GI. The insulinotropic mechanism of milk has not been elucidated.

OBJECTIVE: The objective was to evaluate the effect of common dietary sources of animal or vegetable proteins on concentrations of postprandial blood glucose, insulin, amino acids, and incretin hormones [glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) and glucagon-like peptide 1] in healthy subjects.

DESIGN: Twelve healthy volunteers were served test meals consisting of reconstituted milk, cheese, whey, cod, and wheat gluten with equivalent amounts of lactose. An equicarbohydrate load of white-wheat bread was used as a reference meal.

RESULTS: A correlation was found between postprandial insulin responses and early increments in plasma amino acids; the strongest correlations were seen for leucine, valine, lysine, and isoleucine.A correlation was also obtained between responses of insulin and GIP concentrations. Reconstituted milk powder and whey had substantially lower postprandial glucose areas under the curve (AUCs) than did the bread reference (-62% and -57%, respectively). Whey meal was accompanied by higher AUCs for insulin (90%) and GIP (54%).

CONCLUSIONS: It can be concluded that food proteins differ in their capacity to stimulate insulin release, possibly by differently affecting the early release of incretin hormones and insulinotropic amino acids. Milk proteins have insulinotropic properties; thewhey fraction contains the predominatinginsulin secretagogue.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/5/1246

(Of course there are studies that support this and others that claim the opposite. I know my experiences and others around here know there's)

Don't forget that protein actually is needed to fight acne, or so I read. I'm not sure about artificial protein though like whey.

Don't forget that protein actually is needed to fight acne, or so I read. I'm not sure about artificial protein though like whey.

Yup, protein is important and certain ones reduce insulin and others can spike it due to their anabolic effects. So the goal would not be to eliminate all protein sources, as impossible as it is to eliminate all carbohydrates, but to be aware and experiment with those that are more potent insulin and growth factor stimulators. Whey is a natural milk protein produced by all mammals, but lactating human females produce more whey protein than cows do actually, go figure! While this is not a debate about how good or bad milk is, milk is food used to help babies grow, and depending on the fat, protein, and nutrient content they can grow quite quickly, and as such this may explain why some people can't handle milk or other dairy products beyond a certain point. Or in the case of acne, we have growth of sebaceous glands, growth of skin cells, thickening of skin cells (more growth), etc so...maybe just maybe, due to all this extra growth, along with the inflammation that follows, perhaps dairy products act as source of fuel for certain sufferers.