Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So for the past week and a half i've been eating really good (fruits, veggies, lots of water, etc) and taking vitamins, in hopes to improve my skin. But of course today I pass by the local Taco Johns.. and I gave into some icky grease soaked potato oleys and an extremely sugary churro, FOLLOWED by a chocolate malt at mcdonalds. AFTER regreting eating that, I go over to a friends house and a couple hours later he orders 2 domino's pizzas, so of course i eat a piece (again, full of grease lol). Im hoping that today doesn't really make a difference because tomorrow im going to continue eating healthy, but my question to those who changed their eating habits to healthy-- how on earth do you resist those fast food cravings? Im in need of major advice :lol2:

hey there,

i agree totally. i'm trying to eat all healthy things and maintain a healthy diet at the moment, especially to help clear my acne. i've had those feelings just like u, when u are offered tasty fast food or something nice but greasy, and u just can't pass the offer. whenever u feel like this, try think of an alternative food, like instead of ice cream, have fat-free yoghurt. Whenever you feel like something salty, instead of chips, have a handful of peanuts or some seeds eg. pumpkin, sunflower. Usually whenever im hungry i get these cravings, so I try keep my stomach full by drinking around 3L of water per day. Sometimes u might think ur hungry, but ur probably thirsty. Just think of a healthy alternative to the junk food if ur craving to it, think of something with a similar taste basis.

good luck ! :D

hey there,

i agree totally. i'm trying to eat all healthy things and maintain a healthy diet at the moment, especially to help clear my acne. i've had those feelings just like u, when u are offered tasty fast food or something nice but greasy, and u just can't pass the offer. whenever u feel like this, try think of an alternative food, like instead of ice cream, have fat-free yoghurt. Whenever you feel like something salty, instead of chips, have a handful of peanuts or some seeds eg. pumpkin, sunflower. Usually whenever im hungry i get these cravings, so I try keep my stomach full by drinking around 3L of water per day. Sometimes u might think ur hungry, but ur probably thirsty. Just think of a healthy alternative to the junk food if ur craving to it, think of something with a similar taste basis.

good luck ! :D

thanks! I'll for sure give those ideas a try :D

I can do it for 2 reasons:

#1) I know what it's like to have a face and body covered with zits. Since changing my diet, I know what it's like - not - to. Not to mention, it doesn't feel so good when I breakout again and get pigmentation marks (worse than the acne) because I just couldn't resist (depending on the food, the acne is worse than ever).

#2) I have - substitute - foods for most things!!! :cool:

Salty - Corn Chips (with unsweetened salsa) & Potato Chips (Organic/Natural with no Trans Fats), Home-popped/Natural Popcorn, Rice Cakes, or (roasted) sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds

Sweet - Dried or Fresh Fruit and sometimes a Coffee or Tea sweetened with Xylitol (usually only crave water now), and on those extremely rare occassions Kool-Aid or flavoring sweetened with Xylitol. I can also do 100% dark cocoa (no transfats, or dairy or sugar) if I sweeten it with xylitol too.

Frozen/Cold - Cold Natural (Flavored) Applesauce, Frozen Fruit (pieces or blended), and I guess I could freeze the Coffees, Teas and Cocoas too

Fast Food - Spinach/Loose Leaf/Romaine Salads (unless I am aware that they add sugar, trans fats, or wheat to their meat products), Low Carb Burgers/Chicken Sandwiches (on a salad or wrapped in bibb/loose leaf lettuce - no ketchup), Flavored Chicken Wings (unbattered), Soups (unless they add sugar, wheat), Mexican Food (usually corn based), or Asian food (usually rice based)

Homemade Italian - If wheat/gluten is a problem for you then try Corn, Rice, Quinoa, Buckwheat pastas in all shapes and sizes with unsweetened Pasta Sauces. You can make from scratch or buy gluten-free mixes (sometimes they have added sugar) to make your own pizza, calzone, or garlic bread! Although I haven't had a pizza since...I quit gluten 3.5 years ago ;-) Maybe I should make one again (flopped years ago at it)

Homemade Mexican - Corn (soft or hard) or Brown Rice Tortillas for your burritos, quesadillas, taquitos/rolled tacos etc, and Masa Flour for your gorditas or tamales.

French Fries - deep fry it in a olive oil or some other healthy oil (less oil vs regular frying) or try baking your fries, or buy Cascadian Farms or Alexia brand French Fries (some flavors have added sugar) at your local Walmart or healthfood store.

Misc. Snacks - depending on your tolerance levels to sugar, you can get Gluten Free Cookies, donuts, muffins that taste awesome. You can even find some rather tastey gluten free crackers (especially if you don't have a problem with nuts). Bread is the hardest to mimic, but there are a few promising companies if you can handle dairy, otherwise you can get most food items gluten-free!

As for the whole oily greasy thing, well unless you are sensitive to a particular oil (peanut, cottonseed, etc), usually the problem is that they cook with trans fat oil (which may cause cystic acne, enlarged pores, oily skin depending on the individual). So if you care to ask (I don't always ask, but I do check the restuarants ingredients online), you can make a decision as to whether you want to have that (deep fat) fried item or not. I can honestly say that aside from the chicken wings (every 2 - 4 weeks), tacos (1 - 3x month), potato chips I'm not getting much fried food in my diet. But I have found that unbattered chicken, fish, or ribs fried tastes just as good as the battered version. Of course you can always use rice flour, corn flour/starch, potato flour/starch or some other flours instead of wheat/gluten if you really want the battered texture. Honestly, I've found the the BEST way to ensure purity is to cook everythingyourself, when I do that, my skin hits the 100% mark, but with my schedule, I don't do it consistently enough.

Best of luck!

P.S. I do turn down dinner offers and other foods unless I'm offered something I can eat. People don't understand why I'm so strict but I knowwhy (not everyone knows its for acne, they think it's because I'm Insulin Resistant only). It's not like I gain 5lbs in the hips, I breakout for all the world to see and sometimes in very stubborn acne, so they either learn not to ask or offer me foods I won't turn down.

P. P. S. If I do eat over at someones house, I may bring my own dessert (fruit) or gluten-free pasta and sometimes I smuggle in some popcorn, potato chips or dried fruit & seeds in the movie theater so I won't want that other buttered popcorn crud. ;)

you know what helped me not eat ANY sugar or fried or junk foods for about a whole year? It's really in the first month, tha'ts the hardest, but once you get into it...it's easy to stay.

In the fist month, everytime I craved something, I would just imagine myself with new huge red painful cysts and also gaining weight helped me stay away too, lol. And then after a month, it really was not hard, I didn't even want to eat any junk.

But of course, the holidays came around and I fell off track majorly. I've tried to get back on track twice now and it haven't been able to. But I will because I know the first month is the hardest, then after that it will be easy.

It's important to understand that everyone is different, AND that there are some things that you can do that can allow you to "cheat" a little on diet. For instance, I don't have to be quite as strict as Sweetjade. Through experimenting, I've determined that I can eat wheat... I still try to keep it to a min, and ususally only eat sprouted wheat. I can also eat goat cheese and goat yogurt. I DO strictly avoid sugar, although I did have a little over Christmas. If I cheat one day, I just have to make sure I don't make a habit out of it.

That being said, I recently had a series of colonics, and WHILE I was doing those and for about a month after, I did not get one single zit and I pretty much ate whatever I wanted (within reason... and I'm generally a very healthy eater). My point being that some cleansing can go a long way. Since I KNOW now, that something in my bowel/digestive system is causing the acne, I am now going to concentrate on bowel cleansing and see where that takes me.

If you notice a positive difference in the condition of your skin when you eat healthily then it of couse makes sense to eat healthily.

When you're feeling low it's easy to turn to food for the quick fix but it usually ends with negative results, remember that's all it is, 'a quick fix'.

Sometimes all it takes is a reality check, question yourself and ask 'Is this quick fix of junk food really worth the pain?'. Only you can answer that but it's always a good question to ask yourself. Also think about the days to come and how bad you'll feel when your skin does take a turn for the worse, you don't want leave the house because of your spots etc, is it worth it?

One easy solution is to STOP thinking about the foods, don't keep telling yourself 'I can't eat chocolate, I can't eat chocolate' as you're still thinking about chocolate and tempting yourself, simply think about something else, you choose what that might be ;), perhaps choose to think about how good your skin is at the moment and how bad it may be tomorrow if you eat the crap.

Allow yourself the odd cheat, you'll soon learn what you can and can't get away with and how often you can cheat with those foods.

Good luck

Paul

get the book nourishing traditions by sally fallon

It will give you plently of idea's on how to eat healhy. Its tough

I know... but I've been able to slowly find foods that are healthy

and I like also.

In fact some of the recipes in the book are amazing & I crave them just

as anything else

So for the past week and a half i've been eating really good (fruits, veggies, lots of water, etc) and taking vitamins, in hopes to improve my skin. But of course today I pass by the local Taco Johns.. and I gave into some icky grease soaked potato oleys and an extremely sugary churro, FOLLOWED by a chocolate malt at mcdonalds. AFTER regreting eating that, I go over to a friends house and a couple hours later he orders 2 domino's pizzas, so of course i eat a piece (again, full of grease lol). Im hoping that today doesn't really make a difference because tomorrow im going to continue eating healthy, but my question to those who changed their eating habits to healthy-- how on earth do you resist those fast food cravings? Im in need of major advice :lol2:

I try to avoid it as much as possible, but if im out with friends or in town I live my life.