Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

any advice on what to do would be great... it sucks being a girl like this, i can't have any fun because i'm so self concious, and i'm confined to high cut tshirts... =( ive been planning on going to a derma for awhile now but i dont have alot of money to pay for it but i really want to go since ive tried a ton of stuff but if anything has worked for anyone i'd really try anything... also i know tanning will only ruin your skin and only hides it but it's worked the best so far, last summer i tanned and i actually felt comfortable enough to wear a swimming suit on vacation, but im trying to tan now but also cant realy afford it and obviously it's not helping any

IPB Image

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hmmm :think: do you have medical coverage of any kind? Or are you perhaps covered under a family member's policy? I think seeing a derm would be your best bet. I've never been on the medication myself, but perhaps you'd benefit from accutane? Maybe visit our prescription med forum for some helpful advice/opinions!

Good luck hun :angel:

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hmmm :think: do you have medical coverage of any kind? Or are you perhaps covered under a family member's policy? I think seeing a derm would be your best bet. I've never been on the medication myself, but perhaps you'd benefit from accutane? Maybe visit our prescription med forum for some helpful advice/opinions!

Good luck hun :angel:

Thanks alot... yeah I dont have any coverage right now b/c of my current situation im living on my own (yeah yeah i know, i have enough for the internet - my roommate pays for it :P) how do i go about seeing a derm, do i just call, or do i have o go to the normal doctor first?

You're quite welcome. If you're paying out of pocket, you could probably just go straight to a derm. It can get pretty costly though :think: But maybe they can help you out with some options (payment plans, or something to that effect)? :pray:

Let us know how you're doing, whichever route you decide upon! :)

don't tan. spend that hard earned money on a dermatologist. sister had acne like yours, and she went on accutane. i don't like advocating perscription drugs, but shes almost clear.

don't tan. spend that hard earned money on a dermatologist. sister had acne like yours, and she went on accutane. i don't like advocating perscription drugs, but shes almost clear.

thanks =)

you can try various antibiotics that a derm would prescribe you but i dont think its worth it.

i would try to get accutane before it gets worse.

Go to a derm, dont let it get worse, My back and chest was like yours and I didnt do much about it, and it has left me with very bad scaring. Best of luck.

you can try various antibiotics that a derm would prescribe you but i dont think its worth it.

i would try to get accutane before it gets worse.

thanks, how do i go about getting accutane? do i need to go to a dermatologist?

Go to a derm, dont let it get worse, My back and chest was like yours and I didnt do much about it, and it has left me with very bad scaring. Best of luck.

yeah, my chest is already starting to scar i can see, and also i have weird white marks on it... thanks.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

You only really have two options. Accutane or PDT with ALA. The only problem with the latter is that you'd have to get the treatment in several places, which could make it very expensive. For that reason alone, Accutane looks the better of the two.

I'd advise that you never tan, always wear a sunscreen. Even in Winter. Best of luck.

I must comment on this situation because I had went through it for a long time. I used to have bad chest/back acne. It began when I was roughly 16.

My derm suggested I go on accutane, but me and my family chose not to.

I'm 23 now, and am 100% happy I never went on accutane. I am currently doing the CSR on my chin to prevent any type of break outs.

My body acne is gone, and the red marks are 90% faded with no scarring.

I'm not advising you to just "live with it", but that's what I decided to do, and am happy I did.....oral drugs scare me, even though they are controlled or monitored, they can still have adverse effects on your liver.

Just sharing an experience.

wow ginette is that u? ..u look like mandy moore.cute

thanks :redface: I'm not very good with actors...but I've been told I look like so many people lol Either that, or I always get "Haven't I seen you someplace before?" :lol2:

This particular photo of me isn't very good quality, I'm really not so cute in person *sigh* :doubt:

I must comment on this situation because I had went through it for a long time. I used to have bad chest/back acne. It began when I was roughly 16.

My derm suggested I go on accutane, but me and my family chose not to.

I'm 23 now, and am 100% happy I never went on accutane. I am currently doing the CSR on my chin to prevent any type of break outs.

My body acne is gone, and the red marks are 90% faded with no scarring.

I'm not advising you to just "live with it", but that's what I decided to do, and am happy I did.....oral drugs scare me, even though they are controlled or monitored, they can still have adverse effects on your liver.

Just sharing an experience.

Thanks. I've been on oral tetracycline and that didn't help much either, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember the names of when I was younger.. maybe I should have included that in the post. I don't know the different between all the drugs you can take or the abbreviations or anything. But I'm going to try the regimen on my face for awhile since i can't really afford a derm right now and some other stuff i read on my chest and back, and if it doesn't work then... oh well onto something else :P

Ginette, you are modest! you are beautiful! there is no way that acne (which, by the way, you don't seem to have) could ruin yout pretty features. I know how you feel though, I constantly have people comparing me to actresses/models and it actually makes me feel worse because i feel like I am so close to feeling good about myself if not for this damn acne! But just so you know, from one girl to another, you are beautiful!

Ginette, you are modest! you are beautiful! there is no way that acne (which, by the way, you don't seem to have) could ruin yout pretty features. I know how you feel though, I constantly have people comparing me to actresses/models and it actually makes me feel worse because i feel like I am so close to feeling good about myself if not for this damn acne! But just so you know, from one girl to another, you are beautiful!

damec, thank you so much! that means a lot to me. Yeah, I'm still working on my confidence. It's hard when most of your life you're used to feeling ugly and ashamed, like a complete freak :( It's like, the acne is gone, but I still feel like I have it! :mad: I'm working on this issue tho! Again, thank you for your kind words :wub:

Okay sorry, returning this thread back to starlogic.... :shifty:

starlogic, are you currently using any birth control pills? i have had great succes with desogen (i think it is also called Apri). it is similar to ortho tri-cyclen and it seems to be the only thing that helps with cystic acne for me. also, judging by the redness it looks like infection is a real issue. i would consider using an antibiotic as well.

I wouldn't rule out accutune eaither, it can really be a miracle for some.

above all, i would definately see a dermatologist asap, no matter what. can you maybe get state funded insurance?

i know that right now you probably feel like this misery will never end, but hopefully you can take some comfort in the fact that it WILL end, it mwill take some serious patience, no doubt, but it WILL end. ;)

Thanks damec, nope, nope, nope nope nope lol, basically nope to everything.

I am trying the regimen right now and it's making some sort of difference. I am going to do this for about 2 months and if it doesn't seem worth it, then I am just going to try to find enough money to go to the derm! Thanks!

Oh you should try Accutane, I think you would really like it. And they make generic brands that work just as well that are cheaper--my derm perscribed me a generic brand and it cleared me up completely. I only use the regimen now once a day to keep me staying clear but I don't even think I'd need it. Talk to your derm though I think you'd really like it!

i have had great succes with desogen (i think it is also called Apri). it is similar to ortho tri-cyclen and it seems to be the only thing that helps with cystic acne for me.

damec,

I just went on desogen (generic: Apri) a couple weeks ago after being on OTC Lo for a couple years with little to no success. I am hoping this will prove better for me. Did you try OTC or OTC Lo before trying desogen? How long have you been on it and when did you start to notice a reduction in monthly breakouts?

Thanks for any personal experience with it.

Oh you should try Accutane, I think you would really like it. And they make generic brands that work just as well that are cheaper--my derm perscribed me a generic brand and it cleared me up completely. I only use the regimen now once a day to keep me staying clear but I don't even think I'd need it. Talk to your derm though I think you'd really like it!

My mom doesn't want me on it b/c it's "too dangerous"

yeah well she didn't have this bad of acne when she was younger, she can go *grumble* ...

I'm going to the derm sometime this week though to check out this weird moleish thing on the side of my face, but I'm telling him the regimen is working for me for now

your be good for accutane. your acne is severe enough for it for sure, as long as you have health insurance i guess.

im not suggesting anything but if my mom told me i couldent take accutane if i had acne like yours id have a few thigns to say and a trip the docter about an hour later as long as my mom had healthy insurance.

good luck w/e path you take

your be good for accutane. your acne is severe enough for it for sure, as long as you have health insurance i guess.

im not suggesting anything but if my mom told me i couldent take accutane if i had acne like yours id have a few thigns to say and a trip the docter about an hour later as long as my mom had healthy insurance.

good luck w/e path you take

Thanks