Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone :) I'm new to the boards.

I've had acne since I was eleven (I'm now 21), and I've had scars probably since midway through high school. I've tried microdermabrasion and chemical peels, and they didn't help much.

My scars are basically all on my cheeks. They are certainly noticeable, and having them has absolutely wrecked any self-esteem I would have had otherwise. Dermatologists have told me they are not super severe; in pictures you can either barely see them or not see them at all. In person is a different story though.

I am also extremely pale skinned, so any little thing shows up a lot more on my face than it would on someone a bit darker.

Do any of you use foundation/concealer to cover up your scars? If so, what brands have you found work best for you?

Also, have any of you tried tanning, either fake tans like Mystic Tan or tanning beds? Has this helped hide scars or improve acne at all for you?

And finally, have any of you with scars had success with laser treatment? What laser did you get, and how much did it cost?

Thank you so much!

Looking forward to getting to know all you beautiful people!

Candra

Hi :D

I haven't tried mystic tan, but have been thinking about it a lot lately. I would think it would almost act like a foundation in covering up the scars, but like I said, I haven't tried it so it is only speculation on my part. I'd like to hear from others who have tried it - someone must have.

As for the tanning beds, I heard they make scars look worse in the long run, due to collagen loss. I don't tan, but am SO tempted to start, especially because I work in a beauty salon and everyone has perfect skin ( :evil: )and a lot, but not all of the girls tan. I am the only person there with scarring. It plain sucks as you can imagine. That said, I don't think I will tan, because I know I'll regret it later. Then, I can add leathery and wrinkled to my repertoire of skin woes. :wall:

I surf alot so I scar.. from the sun.. if u look at kelly slater he has alot of pock marks on his face..

Are you saying the sun causes scarring and not just discoloration?

It is my belief extreme tanning led to the developement of some of my acne scars. I used to use a tanning bed several times a week, and during that time, whenever I got a breakout, even a small one, it left a scar.

From what I understand, UV rays from the sun or tanning beds weaken the collagen bands/fibers in your skin, making it more susceptible to scarring and wrinkles. The extent it does this is different for everyone. I know some people who tan without any problem with scarring or wrinkles (at least for now). No matter what, though, it is a fact that sun damage will begin to show up eventually in individuals who tan a lot.

Makes sense... looks like real tanning is out of the question. I do await hearing from someone who has tried Mystic spray on tan though.

Thank you all for your replies so far :D

I have tried Mystic spray-on-tan and i didn't like it all. It appeared fake looking and actually made my skin look worse. I wanted to like it really bad too :(

I surf alot so I scar.. from the sun.. if u look at kelly slater he has alot of pock marks on his face..

kelly slater was also on accutane at one point.

he also recently won his 7th world title for those who don't know. just wanted to add that.

This makes my skin look so much better! I love it. I want one all the time now. I recommend it to people with light-moderate scarring.

I use make-up while using a toner to help get ride of them, in the mean time, it is healing time

I almost look like I don't have scarring now. It looks a lot better. When I wear makeup over it I have to really look to see most of them. I'm hooked!