Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elledee

third day on Accutane

Hey there,

I'm a 34, female and finally started Accutane after nothing else my doctor gave me worked for cystic acne. I had minor acne problems before, but about 8 months ago it became completely out of control. I've been reading the boards and have found them quite helpful...I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me and/or if there was someone else just starting Accutane that would like to share this "fabulous" journey with me? It's great to have all the support and info from the people who have been on it longer or are finished, but it might be helpful to have someone to talk to who is going through it right now as well.

Best of luck to everyone!

Lipbalm and Moisteriser. Patience and Strenght. =)

Thanks for the advice! Do you apply moisturizer every day or only to dry areas as they occur? I ask because when I mentioned I was using a lot of moisturizer, someone else mentioned that I should be careful not to use too much, that it's good to be dry for the medicine to work. This doesn't make sense to me, but I don't want to use too much if it's not going to help.

Thanks again for the help!

Use as much moisturizer as you need. Dryness is a side effect of Accutane, not the primary effect. Accutane clears clogs in the pores and prevents new ones from forming by regulating the rate at which cells are sloughed off into the pore. It works just fine with moisturizer and you'll be much more comfortable.

Use as much moisturizer as you need. Dryness is a side effect of Accutane, not the primary effect. Accutane clears clogs in the pores and prevents new ones from forming by regulating the rate at which cells are sloughed off into the pore. It works just fine with moisturizer and you'll be much more comfortable.

Great! I've got dry skin to begin with -- even before the accutane -- so not using a ton of moisturizer would have been torture. Do you have any hints on what to do about an itchy scalp? The only place I'm noticing a dry problem so far is my scalp.

Avoid shampooing as much as possible. Use a heavy conditioner designed for dry hair, and a leave in conditioner as well, and don't be afraid to get that on your scalp. Shampoo whenever the conditioner buildup gets out of hand. If your scalp is still dry you might consider using an oil spray, Paul Mitchell makes a good one.

Great! I've got dry skin to begin with -- even before the accutane -- so not using a ton of moisturizer would have been torture. Do you have any hints on what to do about an itchy scalp? The only place I'm noticing a dry problem so far is my scalp.

Head & Shoulders has a conditioner and shampoo for dry scalp. You might want to give that a try.

yeah accutane is great

just look for Aquaphor for your lips and put it on everyday and night

and a good moisturizer for your body is Cetaphil ---------it comes in this green tube and it says for sensitive skin I think

also you may get patches on your arms .......thats normal because of the dryness of your skin

and for your eyes get some good eye drops since your eyes may dry out........I have mine called Silamistan

or something like that works great

good luck though

yeah accutane is great

just look for Aquaphor for your lips and put it on everyday and night

and a good moisturizer for your body is Cetaphil ---------it comes in this green tube and it says for sensitive skin I think

also you may get patches on your arms .......thats normal because of the dryness of your skin

and for your eyes get some good eye drops since your eyes may dry out........I have mine called Silamistan

or something like that works great

good luck though

Thanks for the info! I already had Aquaphor and Cetaphil Cream Moisturizer so I'm relieved to know I've made good choices! I'll look for the Silamistan on my way home from work because my eyes are starting to feel a bit dry.