Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neo 17

Well, my skin is not so good 9-10 months post tane..

Literally every time I look in the mirror I can find another disgusting zit to kill nowadays. No exaggeration. They go away in 2-3 days but still are disgusting and annoying, sometimes painful.

I took accutane once, but my face is reverting 9 months later. My back and chest have stayed okay, but even they do get acne. I'm ashamed because I killed this acne before, and now when people see me they're like WTF, you have it again. No one's said this, but they must think it...

I don't want to do accutane again, at least not a full course as the side effects were harsh while on. I've considered taking a low dose just until whenever, and I may yet go for this, but I dunno. That could be damaging long-term. Another option is to take a low dose for 5-6mo to see if that fixes it.

Isn't there anything else? I've tried Differin, BP...all are useless. Antibiotics seem like a waste of time. At least with low dose accutane I'd be guaranteed no breakouts 24/7 with only like 10mg twice a week. (I've tried it before). but what if it's withdrawn from the market? i'd be ****ed lol. or what if this negatively effects the liver long term?

I think I need to see a derm or something before it gets out of hand. but what else can they do? i've been stressing over this for months now...

Advice?

Literally every time I look in the mirror I can find another disgusting zit to kill nowadays. No exaggeration. They go away in 2-3 days but still are disgusting and annoying, sometimes painful.

I took accutane once, but my face is reverting 9 months later. My back and chest have stayed okay, but even they do get acne. I'm ashamed because I killed this acne before, and now when people see me they're like WTF, you have it again. No one's said this, but they must think it...

I don't want to do accutane again, at least not a full course as the side effects were harsh while on. I've considered taking a low dose just until whenever, and I may yet go for this, but I dunno. That could be damaging long-term. Another option is to take a low dose for 5-6mo to see if that fixes it.

Isn't there anything else? I've tried Differin, BP...all are useless. Antibiotics seem like a waste of time. At least with low dose accutane I'd be guaranteed no breakouts 24/7 with only like 10mg twice a week. (I've tried it before). but what if it's withdrawn from the market? i'd be ****ed lol. or what if this negatively effects the liver long term?

I think I need to see a derm or something before it gets out of hand. but what else can they do? i've been stressing over this for months now...

Advice?

I would say go visit your derm. Itell everybody to keep on top of this with their doc when they come off of accutane so you don't revert and get all discouraged. At least you got 9 months of clarity out of it. Some people require two courses and if you are willing I'd keep on top of it with your doctor. I woujld think talking with a derm would give you some piece of mind.

When my acne came back post-Accutane, I found this website and Dan's regimen is keeping me clear. I know you said in your post that bp is useless, but if you haven't tried it using Dan's method, you really should look into it. There are several of us post-accutane users who are using the Regimen and keeping clear.

Go to your derm, pronto. I've already concluded that if my acne comes back after 'tane that I'm going to go back to the Dr and raise holy hell. I will not let myself just "deal" with acne like I did before 'tane, because now I have scarring that is permanent. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Anyway, that sucks it seems it's coming back, but you can definitely try to head it off by going back to the Dr's ASAP.

A few questions: How high was your dosage, how long was your course, and did your Dr give you a topical--like Retin-A--to use after your course was over with?

I took accutane about 8-9 months ago as well. I get the ocassional 3 or 4 small ones. I find that if I stay true to a delicate cleansing regime and benzoyl peroxide treatment it helps. I'm sure that you're looking great! Keep smiling :)

Advice?

Have you tried B5? Some say that it works great. Look at www.vilantae.com for one example of where you can get it. I tried it and it didn't work for me, but many say that it's great!

Advice?

The most common chemical exfoliants are AHA, BHA, and retinoids. Enzymes from pumpkin, papaya, among others help too. These (enzymes) are usually found in masks and cleansers rather than topical treatment form. Scrubs are categorized as manual exfoliants. I find using a combination of both chemical and manual exfoliants is more effective than using either or. HTH~

antibiotics and differin and all that sucked for pre-tane but now works pretty well for me post tane. our faces change a lot from the tane, our oil glands aren't the same which allows treatments that were once futile to be useful.

Compared to pre-treatment, my acne has improved a lot and is very mild.

I guess I just have higher expectations now for my skin. I've forgotten what it was like to have horrible acne, and now I think having normal acne is horrible.

I think I might do a low dose course of accutane for a few months just to seal the deal (it's all I probably need), even though the blood test will cost me an arm and a leg.

happy new year btw everyone

Compared to pre-treatment, my acne has improved a lot and is very mild.

I guess I just have higher expectations now for my skin. I've forgotten what it was like to have horrible acne, and now I think having normal acne is horrible.

I think I might do a low dose course of accutane for a few months just to seal the deal (it's all I probably need), even though the blood test will cost me an arm and a leg.

happy new year btw everyone

how old r u ??

i dunno, i am going on accutane for the 2nd time in a year and a half. after two months of being off tane the acne came back as it does for many people. if u start trying the regime and it doesnt work, i have to say u will prolly have to go back on tane. what price are u willing to pay for clear skin? i am willing to do tane again simply because my skin bothers me sooo much that its ridiculous. weigh out the pos and negatives/

Advice?

the exact same thing happened to me. after about 7 months, i had full blown acne again after being clear. im still there. technically you should try another round of accutane. one should wait 6 months in between. i've decided not to because i had awful side effects while on accutane (joint pain, horrible dry skin/chapped lips that were more embarassing than acne etc.). so, if accutane was good to you, why not try it again? the chances for curing acne raise to 70% with the second round.

Consider doing shorter maintenance courses. There's a guy on the board -- RunRunRonnie or something is his name -- who does a one month course once a year and it keeps him clear. He did a full course but his acne came back. One month a year is all he needs.

I'm doing low dose and it works like magic. 40mg every other week and I have perfect skin.

I was in this tiny, dirty little club on New Years, pressed up against 500 people for 4 hours, sweating my balls off with my hair hanging down in my face; I was touching my face, other people were touching my face. I didn't even care. I had no oil. Accutane is like a magic force field that protects you from acne and oil. Some filthy wino even came up to me and I told him to touch my face.

Then I went home drunk and climbed into bed without even rinsing my skin off. Before Accutane none if this would have been possible. But I guess I'm the only one hip enough on the whole board to do low dose, so whatever.

Consider doing shorter maintenance courses. There's a guy on the board -- RunRunRonnie or something is his name -- who does a one month course once a year and it keeps him clear. He did a full course but his acne came back. One month a year is all he needs.

I'm doing low dose and it works like magic. 40mg every other week and I have perfect skin.

I was in this tiny, dirty little club on New Years, pressed up against 500 people for 4 hours, sweating my balls off with my hair hanging down in my face; I was touching my face, other people were touching my face. I didn't even care. I had no oil. Accutane is like a magic force field that protects you from acne and oil. Some filthy wino even came up to me and I told him to touch my face.

Then I went home drunk and climbed into bed without even rinsing my skin off. Before Accutane none if this would have been possible. But I guess I'm the only one hip enough on the whole board to do low dose, so whatever.

So you take 40 mg every other week? Did you do a full course and then go low-dose, or did you do the LD thing right off the bat? I'm assuming you must be a male, because I think most derms would balk at putting a female on such a course. Although, it seems like if you really want the acne to stay away, low-dosing is the way to go. Wish I had such a great derm like you've seem to got.

So you take 40 mg every other week? Did you do a full course and then go low-dose, or did you do the LD thing right off the bat? I'm assuming you must be a male, because I think most derms would balk at putting a female on such a course. Although, it seems like if you really want the acne to stay away, low-dosing is the way to go. Wish I had such a great derm like you've seem to got.

I did a full course which ended 10/04. My acne started coming back exactly one year later.

Low dose keeps me 100% clear and eliminates 90% of my oiliness -- I get all the benefits of Accutane without the side effects of a full course.

I think it works especially well if oily skin is the main contributing factor to your acne problem. My new derm told me that it wasn't so much that I am particularly acne prone, it's just that I had so much oil that I couldn't help but breakout. Anyone whose skin is producing enough oil will break out.

Extremely oily skin is worse than acne. It's like being suffocated.

Nuevo Wavo,

Wow, you're so damn lucky! Honestly, I wish 'tane would be prescribed to me at a low-dose for long term treatment. It's most likely the only thing that will keep my skin the way I'd like it to be.

Do you have the whole red-faced thing going on, or do you not have any of the bad side effects? Why did your doc decide to put you on a bi weekly dose instead of once a week?

Nuevo Wavo,

Wow, you're so damn lucky! Honestly, I wish 'tane would be prescribed to me at a low-dose for long term treatment. It's most likely the only thing that will keep my skin the way I'd like it to be.

Do you have the whole red-faced thing going on, or do you not have any of the bad side effects? Why did your doc decide to put you on a bi weekly dose instead of once a week?

Carys, hey.

I have no side effects that I would notice unless I worked out with weights. Because I do workout, I have noticed my joints and my back are killing me after heavy exertion, even at such a low dose. I'm still not positive I can attribute it to the Accutane, though.

As far as the bi-weekly dose, my derm told me to just experiment and see how little I could get away with taking. (Originally he wanted me to take 40mg 2-3X weekly, but I thought that was way too much.)

So I took 40 mg a week for the first month. After that, I found I didn't need to take anymore for another 4 weeks, because my skin stayed completely clear and comfortable.

After 4 weeks, though, my skin started feeling oily and I got a couple zits, so I'm trying every other week doses now. So far it's working perfectly.

I find the effects of Accutane at a low dose are preferable to the full dose. I don't get so dry that I crack, I just stay non-oily, and sort of matte, as they say. No chapped lips, either. And it makes my hair look awesome. No seborrhea and it feels thicker and more manageable.

It also helps with the absorption of topical retinoids (Tazorac) that I am taking, and it has improved my marks and scars in only 2 months.

I don't know what I'm going to do in the future, though. I don't want to take it forever.