Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my skin is very spotty all over. only have about 1 cyst a month. my skin is very oily. but lately it is also very dry. i have flaky skin mainly around my nose but my skin remains oily.

any ideas of what i should use on my skin.

at the moment i just use a cleansing bar,.

Aspirin mask helps you get rid of the flankiness. After using it, your skin will feel sooooooooooo smooth!!

As for getting the oil.. I have no idea. I basically have the same problem :(

my skin is very spotty all over. only have about 1 cyst a month. my skin is very oily. but lately it is also very dry. i have flaky skin mainly around my nose but my skin remains oily.

My skin sounds a lot like yours.. to moisturize, I use walgreens 8% alpha hydroxy lotion and it gets the job done (today I just switched to neutrogena healthy skin face lotion because it has spf 15).. as for the oil, I myself am still trying to find something to help with that =\.. for now.. all hail clean & clear oil blotting sheets! lol

I used to have skin like yours; oily but with dehydrated surface. If I were you, I would be more worried about the dryness as it tends to spark off more problems. I found that Olay Moisturizing Cream for Sensitive Skin is very good for my skin. I use it at night and it helps with the dryness so much that my skin is actually 're-texturized'. No more roughness and flaking round the nose, cheeks and lips; only smooth and calmed skin. ;)

As for the oil, I don't actually have a clear idea how my face starts becoming less oily, but I suspect it might have to do with having skin that is more moisturized. I realise that when my skin is moisturized, it is less prone to irritation and redness and oiliness.

Also, in my case, stress wrecks my skin. It sets the hormones to do crazy things, so perhaps you can try to observe if stress levels has anything to do with your oily skin. I know for one thing that it had caused mine, 'cos the time my face started getting really oily and pimply was when I was taking my A level exams, and then later on, when I was in the second year of university.

my skin is very oily. but lately it is also very dry.

Huh?? It's very oily and very dry at the same time? What exactly does "dry" MEAN, in this context?

I used to have skin like yours; oily but with dehydrated surface.

If there's a layer of oil on your skin, how do you know that it has a dehydrated surface? So many of the comments on this site having to do with "dryness" are baffling to me. People use that word rather indiscriminantly.

Bryan

I'd recommend getting a decent moisturiser and sticking with it for a few weeks.

I used to have the same problem... i'd wash my face everytime it got oily, then within a few hours the body would over-compensate and it'd be back oily again. Just wash once in the morning and once in the evening, and apply the moisturiser afterwards.

Moisturiser will help combat the oil problem as the sebum glands will not have to produce as much excess oil in order to keep your skin supple and lubricated.

Fish oil definately helps too, you may also want to check out B5 which has been excellent for most people in reducing oil production, but only a minority in helping with the acne.

Best of luck mate.

I have similar skin, and the dryness is caused by sensitivity to acne medications and the weather (especially if you live in dry, chilly areas). Try Aveeno Clear Complexion Moisturizer which has significantly reduced the oil on my face and moisturizes quite well.

I used to have the same problem... i'd wash my face everytime it got oily, then within a few hours the body would over-compensate and it'd be back oily again.

The body doesn't "compensate" at all in its production of sebum, in response to washing the skin. You should know better than to say something like that. Sebum is produced continuously, so if you wash it off, it will gradually come back over a period of time. "Compensation" doesn't have anything to do with it.

Moisturiser will help combat the oil problem as the sebum glands will not have to produce as much excess oil in order to keep your skin supple and lubricated.

How exactly do the sebum glands KNOW whether or not the skin is "supple and lubricated"? Do they extend tiny little "feelers" of some sort (tentacles, maybe?) up to the surface of the skin which poke around a little, and then send messages back to the glands deep underneath ("Hey, guys!! It's gettin' kinda dry and tight up here! Step-up the production of oil, will ya??") :D

Bryan

Maybe your skin is dehydrated from over-cleansing, or from winter weather? I have similar problems.

To help your skin from the inside: drink plenty of water, eat salmon a couple times a week, take an EFA (essential fatty acid) supplement with omegas 3,6,9, and get enough sleep.

For external treatment: try using a very mild cleanser like Cetaphil or Calmin twice a day, morning and night. Treat your skin at night with a topical retinoid such as Retin A or Differin or Tazorac (prescription) or Green Cream (over the counter). Use a very light and noncomedogenic moisturizer during the day. If the flakiness persists, occasionally use a cleanser that has AHAs/BHAs in it ... but just massage it over your face, don't scrub.

Q