Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

burdock root or milk thistle

Hello! Tomorrow im going to use some of my christmas money and buy either burdock root or milk thistle...what one would you recommend? thank you

hey there,

well i recommend u find a supplement that contains both in one. I've seen some supplements like the Zen Med derma cleanse pills, that contain both milk thistle and burdock root, as well as dandelion root as a bonus. All three herbs can assist in treating acne from the inside. Currently I am taking a high potency milk thistle supplement, twice a day. My acne has kinda flared up, but i've read things become worse before better.

Good luck!

hey there,

well i recommend u find a supplement that contains both in one. I've seen some supplements like the Zen Med derma cleanse pills, that contain both milk thistle and burdock root, as well as dandelion root as a bonus. All three herbs can assist in treating acne from the inside. Currently I am taking a high potency milk thistle supplement, twice a day. My acne has kinda flared up, but i've read things become worse before better.

Good luck!

thanks very much :D

Ive used burdock capsules last year with no visible effect on my skin. But Ive heard it helped for some others clearing their acne

My aunt is a chiropractor and she's fairly familiar with alternative healing. When I told her I stopped taking Burdock root (because I wanted to try Milk Thistle) she advised me to continue taking Burdock, as it is a blood purifier. I've heard that both Milk Thistle and Burdock Root are liver cleansers, but according to my Aunt Burdock is for blood. She gave me this advice without being aware it had to do with my acne, so I'm sure Burdock is just a good supplement to take, anyway. :think:

I've tried a few supplements and what really helped me in the end was 1,000 mg daily of Vitex (Agnes Cactus Berry/ Chaste Berry). I found my acne to be largely hormonal (i'm female and I got majorly red breakouts around my chin area). It took about 2 months for my body to get regulated to the Vitex, then an additional month before I could see anything. Turns out it was helping my acne more than I realized- which i found out when I went off of the Vitex during a trip to Puerto Rico and broke out badly. So I went back on the Vitex when I returned and have been on it since then (4 months). Compared to last year, my face is so much nicer! I'm not acne-less, but it's definately managed. :dance:

So, to make a long story longer, I have no idea what Burdock root does on its own because i've never been on it alone. But it certainly wasn't solely responsible for clearing up my acne. But make sure that you diagnose what kind of acne you have, first (compared to the advice you get from others). If someone is telling you what worked for them when they have completely different circumstances (age, sex) and skin than you, then it most likely will not have the same effect (good or bad) on you (although the only way you can tell WHAT effect it will have on you is to try it).

-Man, i haven't posted on here for a while. Hi all! missed ya. :wub: