Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsaenz2002

Smoothbeam Laser???

Has anyone had smoothbeam laser treatments for acne or acne scarring??

It is a new kind of laser.I am going for a consultation tomorrow about this...

Oh btw I am new here and my name is David. I know how all you guys feel! I used to have a good looking face and would get looks from women all the time until two months ago. I have alot of allergies. I took this medication called Depakote Er and I exploded in acne that has not gone away. I have cystic and the less severe kind. I am hoping that cosmetic surgury can save me! :)

Hey...I had the Smoothbeam treatment done a couple months ago and I was thoroughly impressed with the results. I had several cystic breakouts, but a couple days after I had the treatment done, those were all completely gone [and I mean completely]. Since having that done - and, of course, sticking to Dan's regimen - I haven't had a single breakout since. The regimen was good at getting rid of the smaller breakouts, but the deeper ones never seemed to go away - until I had the Smoothbeam treatment done. And the best part was, the machine was treating my scars as well!

I'll give you a little advice though. I'm not sure if you're just having a small portion of your face done or the whole shebang, but if you have the topical numbing cream they prescribe for the procedure, make sure you cover ALL the spots you're getting done. If you don't, or if you don't put enough on, that machine hurts like hell!

Good luck and I hope you have the same results I had!

Dan

How many treatments did you have? What was the per treatment cost? I just had a smoothbeam consultation this week. There are only 2 Dr.'s offices in my state that offer it...one of them charges $600 per treatment, and the other $125. In both cases the staff performs the laser, not the Dr. I was told that I'd need 3-4 treatments spaced 1 month apart. Smoothbeam is only recently approved for acne scars, so the offices did not have any before and after photos of their clients. I may set up an appt. for the $125 office soon. I'll be sure to post if I go through with it.

The doctor told me that smoothbeam does indeed stop breakouts for up to one year. Keep in mind that the Candela company manufactures both n-lite and smoothbeam. Only smoothbeam is FDA approved for acne scars.

I just had the smoothbeam treatment done today along with clear light. The derm is out of Los Angeles and charges $250. The clear light is $125. Has anyone ever done clear light? I will post my results.

Hi Lisa,

I'm in the LA area as well and considering different options for scarring. Could you tell me the derm that did your treaments with? Thanks.

I have had two treatments with the Smoothbeam laser and the Medlite Yag laser for acne scars (pock type scars and discoloration all over my face). My doctor also used a pulsed dye laser for the redness on my face. The cost for the SB and MD laser are $350 and $150 and the pulsed dye laser cost around $200. I was told I would have a series of 6 treatments one month apart.

They use a numbing ointment ELA-Max 3 (lidocaine 5%) an hour before my treatment. The lasers do sting a bit and can be uncomfortable but it doesn't last very long. The doctor did have to turn the machine down because he could see me flinching. It is like large rubber bands hitting your face. I tried to tolerate it so he wouldn't turn it down but he could tell it was bothering me. Right after the treatment my skin is red and a bit swollen and the first time I did get some oozing and scabbing on my chin. My face was a bit swollen for a few days and this makes my scars look less noticeable but after a few days it went back to the way it was before the treatment. The nurse said that it would probably take 2 or 3 treatments before you can see any difference. Honestly I can not see a difference. The nurse did say that they recommend that you have a microdermabrasion before the lasers to make sure your skin is totally clean and if you have any makeup residue in your pores that the laser might bounce off and not penetrate as well. The first two times I did not have the microderm but this next time (in a week) I will try it.

I don't know if I am starting to get discouraged or not but I am going to give it two more treatments and if I don't see any difference I am going to look into some kind of laser resurfacing. Either the CO2 or the Erbium Yag laser.

I know once you have a scar you will pretty much always have a scar but my skin is red and discolored. I hate wearing so much makeup!!

I ll have 4 sessions with smoothbeam laser (colagen stimulation) + V beam combined (to get rid of redness) during upcoming 4 months, I am curious if it helps. I ll let you know. My scars are rather shallow but I also have few more deeper on my temples and i think I ll need some more treatments there, prolly resurfacing or something.

Thanks for posting about the smoothbeam, This is what we need more information on being that it was recently approved by the FDA. I'm presently undergoing NLITE and it does appear similar to this smoothbeam!!!!

hey kam1 i also have shallow scarring. Im getting my first smoothbeam treatment on the 6th. I dont know how many i need but i also might go with some v beam treatments for the redness. I will let u all know how it goes.

Does anyone know how effective smoothbeam actually is towards breakouts? If i get a couple treatments can i stop using my benzaclin and retin a micro maybe?

I had a smoothbeam treatment 2 weeks ago, and although I was told not to expect any improvement for at least 30 days, I have noticed a difference. I did have a microderm first, then the sb laser set on 11 (max is 14). It is difficult to put percentages on improvement, but I would have to say that depressed scars have plumped up 20-30%. I was just beginning to get some breakouts again, and the smoothbeam halted that process immediately. I go for a 2nd treatment May 8th, and a follow up in June. I'll be sure to post how it goes. My sister has decided to try sb laser after seeing the improvement that I've gotten. The Phys. Asst. that performs the laser was very confident that I would achieve great results, so we'll see. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but I sure hope this is the answer for me!

Hi Wildcard - Could you please tell us how the smoothbeam laser feels on your face? Does it hurt? Can you describe it?

Sounds very promising. I also hope it's the answer for you! Please do keep us posted on your results. :)

been reading this thread and smoothbeam seems like a good option for shallow scarring along with n-lite. Can't find it in Australia though aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say that the smoothbeam laser is a little more intense than a rubberband snapping against your face. You definitely get used to the feeling, and certain areas hurt more than others. My lips were the most sensitive, and the cheeks the least. I couldn't help but flinch a few times, but the technician said that it was very common. I also had her turn up the machine so I could get good benefit! I did not find the pain very significant...the TCA peel was 90% more painful, even with the topical Lidocaine as a pain buffer. I did not take topical pain relief with the smoothbeam, I just don't think it's necessary, and the process is over quickly! But I should say that the Dr. in the office did a test spot on himself and decided against doing full face because he thought it was too painful. The technician also told me that her male clients have a much more difficult time with the pain (maybe more hair follicles make a difference?). Anyone who can sit in a dentists chair having a cavity filled (with novacaine) can handle this procedure with ease! I'll sure let everyone know how my next appt. goes!

hey wildcard,

im getting smoothbeam done tomorrow, my first treatment. the doc said id have to give it 3 treatments.

you were saying it clears up your face right away?

also, the scars(not the pitted or whatever, but red bumps) do they clear up right away? i know that the indented scares take a while to treat, but i was just curious if all the other crap goes away quickly or after the first treatment.

you got AIM???

I guess I could go through the Smoothbeam without the topical lidocaine but since I the doctor is using three lasers on me I have to have it! It is uncomfortable but not unbearable with the lidocaine. Some people threashold for pain is different and I hope this next time I can grin and bear it so the doctor will turn it up full blast.

JP

The laser did zap an acne flare-up that day, and it has not come back. The technician said that 98% of acne will be stopped within 3 treatments, and over 60% will be stopped after the 1st treatment. I must add that I was having very infrequent breakouts at the time of the laser, but it completely removed the flareup. I tried smoothbeam in hope to improve depressed acne scars, and it is helping for sure. Please share your success too! I'm really rooting for you tomorrow, and tell them to turn up the volume on the laser! I'm not sure what AIM is, can you clarify?