Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
accutaner

starvation = Clear skin

I am just asking if anyone would like to join me in experimenting to see if starving or "semi-starving" helps.

I plan on only eating a portion of a slice of bread in the morning and anotherin the evening to take with my Accutane.

I noticed that last year I cleared up significantly within 2 weeks when i went on a strict diet of vegies only. Then I gave up and I started breaking out right away. I have been trying to "starve" since but it is just oo difficult. I need someone to support me and someone to talk to about my progress and share my experince with. I really hope theres someone on this board who is willing to try this with me. the worst thing that can happen is that you'll lose a few pounds. I have already atalked to my dermatologist about it and he is okay with it, I need to visit him bi-weekly if I am going to seriously do it though.

Please help me do this.... I am really desperate!!!

-jay

sounds unhealthy. thought fat helps accutane absorb better? look, you're on accutane, you're like 80% guaranteed to be cleared up irregardless of how you live your life (so long as you pop the pills), why fuck with it?

Dude it might fuck up your blood test, like thin your blood out or something. Its been pretty readily accepted that diet doesnt cause acne. I would suggest eating a little more than two slices of bread, just maybe eat healthier or somethin,

:doh:

Please please please don't do that.

And actually it IS medically and clinically proven that diet can contribute to acne. I know from personal experience. My horrible acne was due only to dairy products... lactose intolerance and the hormones.

75% of people are lactose-intolerant and don't even know it.

By the way, if you're lucky enough to be able to afford Accutane, please don't mess up your treatment by starving yourself. As soon as you start eating again when your acne is cleared up, you'll break out even worse.

At least check out these sites first:

http://www.acnehelp.org.uk/dairy.htm

http://www.rlrouse.com/acne-dairy.html

Also.. to give you some background about myself:

I started having acne at age 13. After high school, I went to school for esthetics (skin care and spa treatments). During the entire course of my education, I was told that acne has nothing to do with diet EVER under ANY circumstance. My instructor, my future spa director, everyone tried to help me. Nothing worked. The ONLY thing I didn't try was Accutane. At the end of my schooling I was entirely discouraged. I was actually on a very gentle regimen (almost exactly like what's described on this site). My skin would clear up some and then it would be worse. I could tell the bp was doing it's job but couldn't tell what was causing it to come back.

A few months ago I made a purely personal decision to stop eating dairy. I never particularly liked milk and didn't like how mucusy and blah I felt. After 3 days, I noticed a huge difference in my overall health. In one week, my skin was almost entirely cleared up. Within one month, my skin was good to go.

Right now my skin isn't perfect, but I'm working on it.

I just can't resist cheesecake.

But the ONLY thing I ever did was eliminate dairy. I never changed anything else.

Good luck to you.

Guest Fearless*Bunny

If that's all you're eating you're body will go into survival mode and all kinds of bad things will happen. You could develop all kinds of things far worse then acne. Accutane should help you and please eat a balanced diet for your own sake.

This doesn't sound like a healthy option to me. In the past your clearing up was due to the medication, not diet. However I do believe that a healthy diet full of veggies, lean proteins, and a few whole grains for good measure is the way to go. I find it hard to believe that what we eat doesn't somehow have an effect on our body chemistry (including its ability to fight acne infections).

I find what works best for me is eating 5 or 6 smaller snack-like meals per day. Apples with peanut butter (or some sort of lean meat), a small salad, then maybe crackers with a bit of cheese...there are lots of options out there.

No, don't do it dude. Sure, you might kill the acne... only because dead people don't get pimples. :doubt: And maybe at your age you might think it's neat to look like Kate Moss... I'm telling you, when you're 18 you're gonna change your mind and you're going to start wishing you were more muscular like plenty of all the gay men out there.

hm, well.. that does seem like a lovely idea doesnt it?

ask those who have suffered from an eating disorder (such as myself)

it helps none.

as a matter of fact, with starving youre not allowing your body the nutrients it needs and your skin ends up looking worse..

I found that when I tried the apple cleanse and fast thingo my skin cleared up a lot, back on regular food it just went back to its usual craptacular self.

However I felt so drained constantly and had no energy to do anything. You can't live like that and still function normally.

First of all. THANK YOU for responding. I am sorry I was unable to respond to all of your great comments. I have been out of town. and to say the least, I have not been starving myself. I have been trying to eat very little though. It's more difficult than i thought it would be. Around September of last year I helped my skin clear up really REALLY well and I did so by eating nothing but Apples, Celery and lettuce etc. I called it my "rabbit Diet:" I cleared up DRAMATICALLY and I don't know.... it was just amazing how much I cleared and how quickly. I have been trying to do the same ever since, (Considering It only lasted about 2 weeks) and once I starting eating normal meals again... I broke out worse than before I had gone on the diet. I guess I have to train myself to eat so little of things I hate. I HATE VEGGIES! But they were truly the miracle that cleared me up last year. I have been eating tiny meals for the last week but for reason It is impossibly difficult for me to eat as little as I did last year... I just can NOT do it and that was the reason why I posted this... i really wanted at least 1 person to try it with me. Okay I will admit I did exaggerate a lot with the "2 slices of bread" a day thing..... but that was the idea i was trying to get across. Here's my goal for next week

MORNING MEALS:

-1 Banana, 1/2 Apple (to give me some sugar so that I'll be awake at school) and It will also be my Co-Accutane meal

-1 Big Cucumber or 2 small ones (simply as a snack to fill up my stomach before lunch

AFTERNOON MEALS:

-About 2 cups of Chopped Celery (Celery is pure water with nutrients.... it has no caloric value) <----- great for filling you up

-1 Tomato (again... simply to fill me up)

EVENING MEALS:

-Broccoli, Green or Soy beans... Snow peas Etc.... (only if I get hungry and need to fill my tummy)

-Lots of lettuce, Spinach, Celery or a low calorie food to take with Accutane

DOESN"T THAT DIET SoUND MUCH BETTER THAN 2 SlICES OF BREAD A DAY. Perhaps, it is around the same caloric value as the bread diet... but healthier I bet.

i just really want someone to do this with me. Please talk to your derm and tell them that you plan to do this. I have already done so and he is okay with it as long as I don't starve completely and Binge.... that is his only issue. He claims that bingeing on sugars will break me out horribly

Please guys, I really hope one of you will be able to do this with me... and once again just to make things clear.... I have not done it since last year. I have tried and tried But I simply have no wil/strength to go through with it. And I know that for me, it helps me clear up SO SO SO MUCH! I hope it will do the same for whoever choses to do it with me. Trust me, my friend Autumn tried it with me last year and so we were able to support ourselves and tell one another our progress and comitment to the diet. I really hope one of you will do this with me...

Please, i am so deserate for a "starvation-buddy" and it really wont be starvation.... just "semi-starvation. "

THANKS!!!! and please don't be offended by my post in any way. I'm sorry "silapp" if this post upset you in any way, Honestly I am very sorry that wasn't my intention. I hope you can forgive me, because I hate when i read journals where people just start offending eachother... Come on, we are a community and a GREAT community at that. We all suffer from something similar and we are all special because of our condition. Each and everyone one of you guys and girls on this website mean a lot to me! (did that make sense? english-wise?) Anyway, What I am trying to say is I hope, Silapp, that I am not on your "Acne.org 'shit-list'" because I would hate that. Please forgive me. If you would rather I delete this post I will do so with no problem, I just ask that you give me the chance to express myself freely to everyone on here. if I notice that It is offending many, like the one who posted after you... I will surely delete it. Because as I was saying... We are a community and I strongly belive that we need to support each other and put our best foot (or finger....considering we're typing haha) and not argue with the people on this website... it honestly hurt me to see that some fellow acne sufferers treat others like "sh*t".... So once again, and I hope I'm not being annoying... i'm sorry.

Anyway, hope you can all respond soon !!! :-)

You shouldn't starve yourself period. But you REALLY shouldn't starve yourself while on accutane. Those meds are so crazy and potentially harmful, don't further screw up your body by not eating. I love accutane, don't get me wrong, but you have to be careful!

EBITHIC: haha (did I spell it wrong... i have a HORRIBLE memory, i just saw it like seconds ago)

Anyway.... It isn't quite hardcore starvation...

Thank you for your concern though. I have talked to my derm about it and he is okay he just wants me to keep him informed every week. His biggest concern is that I'll starve TOO MUCH or TOO DRASTICALLY rather, and then binge eat. He warned me and pretty much frightened the wits out of me. So I haven't starved at all ... i have been eating small meals..... but they are like normal, balanced meals. I am a big eater..... seriously... i eat A LOT! and I honestly think that may be my acne-inudcer.... my derm admonishes me otherwise but i know that when i starve or "semi-starve" i clear up dramatically.

i have not been able to eat as little as before though... i am not focused, strong, controlled enough to do it by myself anymore.

So the main thing is that it's not truly starving yourself.... it's simply eating very little ... I am aware that with the small amount of food, accutane can seriously hurt my body... that's why i would like to keep my stomach full (if you scroll up to my previous post) I would like to keep it full with low-calorie foods like celery... which is basically water....

So don't worry... I wont starve as in the true definition... i will just eat a lot less ... only if I find a partner to share my daily food intake with and share feelings etc....

Thank you for your concern once again!! glad too read your reply!

with much love to the acne.org members,

-JAY

Dude that sounds like starvation to me, if your body doesnt get enough food it will eat itself, like your muscles and other parts. Accutane can fuck you up, and if you only eating like 500? calories a day that is some bad news. Accutane will do its thing with your acne so there is no sense on trying to help it out. Eat like the italians do, their fit and they eat a lot. Plus it might fuck up your blood test and that would be even worse news.

If you stay away from Milk products, it MAY help your acne.

Studies have shown that milk products are connected to acne...but not with everyone.

So going on a diet may help only because you are decreasing the amount of milk you consume on a daily basis.

Just try staying away from milk and milk based products for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Let's see about that "meal plan", shall we? Those aren't "small meals" as you claim. They are equal to nothing.

The average male (over the age of 14) REQUIRES 3000 calories per day.

Your ENTIRE DAILY diet regimen comes to 250 calories. And that's with you eating A LOT of celery as you claimed you would be doing.

I still say eat a lot of veggies. Eat breads and pastas too. Eat lots of fruits. Make sure to eat at LEAST 2000 calories (and that's pushing it).

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY NUTRIENTS YOU TAKE IN WITH THESE VEGGIES OR HOW MANY SUPPLEMENTS YOU TAKE!!

You WILL starve yourself straight into the hospital if you are for real about this diet. Starvation isn't about malnutrition. It's about lack of energy (calories) for your body to function correctly.

That is the typical ANOREXIC diet. Those girls that tell themselves every single day that they aren't starving themselves because they are in fact eating SOMETHING. It's not enough.

And if your dermatologist is telling you otherwise, he or she's a quack.

That is all.

I actually think this thread should be removed if you are going to try and get someone to do this with you. It's dangerous, unhealthy and most of all, wrong! Eating next to no calories will not help your skin or your body, it will make your body go into starvation mode, will make your body store any fat that it does manage to get and will cause your immune system to be lowered, leaving you prone to infection. Please stop trying to encourange others to do this with you. If you are so desperate to try it, it's your choice, but you will be endangering someone else's health if they try this. If a young teenager were to try this, they could do themselves damage, especially during a time when their bodies NEED calories to grow.

BettyCherry xxx

thanks for the replies.

you all sound quite upset. Im sorry.

Thank you for the "no milk" tip and for the advice.

It all made me very sad.

I'm sorry, i just don't know what to do with myself. I reall want to lose weight and acne.

I weigh about 138 or so, I'm 5'7" and I have nasty acne.

I'll take all of your advice and try it. Especially the "no dairy" thing. I have tried it before, I just didn't do it long enough I guess because I felt like I was breaking out even more during hose 2 weeks I tried it... I will try it longer this time.

I will post different threads from now.. I'm sorry so upsetting you all.

I hope you will be able to comment on my other threads...

thanks guys!

I love your support and concerns~

-jay

Guest Fearless*Bunny

Starving youself isn't going to help your acne or help you lose weight the right way. Sure you'll lose weight, but the truth is it's unhealthy and not a long term solution to either problem. If you want to lose weight eat right and exercise. I know it's said way too often but it's true. As for the acne just let the tane do it's job. Killing yourself to look "beautiful" isn't really worth it.

Yeah, tane will take care of it all. Starving yourself won't do anything. From your stats you sound like a pretty slim guy, I don't see why you need to lose any more weight. Eating nothing looks bad on girls (Nicole Ritchie when she was a bag of bones) and even worse on guys.

Take care taner

Dude that sounds like starvation to me, if your body doesnt get enough food it will eat itself, like your muscles and other parts. Accutane can fuck you up, and if you only eating like 500? calories a day that is some bad news. Accutane will do its thing with your acne so there is no sense on trying to help it out. Eat like the italians do, their fit and they eat a lot. Plus it might fuck up your blood test and that would be even worse news.

Well dair products apparently may affect acne, but the stupid drug itself says in the instructions to take it with water or Milk!!! Milk!!!! What the hell are they thinking? They are contradicting themselves