Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danielm

Question about Salacylic Acid...

Well, I tried to avoid it, before anything with SA in it dried me up. But, there is a company that makes skin care products for me, its called "Zirh." Very good products. They have scrubs, cleansers, a SPF 15 moisturizer, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I used to use the cleanser, and i would never really see a diff in my skin, and i hated the fact that i got so oily. It wasn't till later on did i realize how much the moisturizer actually helps.

Well, about 2 years later, my mother knew i liked these skin products and she got me a gift package. It contained their cleanser, "Clean" By Zirh, their scrub, their shaving gel, and their moisturizer.

My issue was with the cleanser. I read the ingredients and it had salicylic acid in it. I've read around that a combo of SA and BP can help. It just so happened i ran out of my gentle cleansing bar. So I said, screw it, i'll give it a try. I started using it again, right when i was having my small breakout a few days ago, because i've been on the regimen consistently for 3 1/2 weeks. Well, i actually noticed more of an improvement than anything. The active pimples that were in my breakout are now starting to go away. I wash in the shower and then shave, and then apply a good liberal amount of BP. I then wait a little bit and moisturize. My face doesn't seem irritated or anything, feels nice and clean.

What is your guys' take on this? Remember this cleanser doesn't focus in the SA or anything, it just has it in there, with all of the other ingredients. I'll give it until saturday and see if improvement happens. If i get worse, i will stop with the cleanser and get a gentle bar.

the zirh scrub soap bar is supposed to be really good for bacne.

combining sa and bp will irritate like a crazy bitch.

u can try this. put a dab of something with sa on an open pimple (scab is removed). after that is absorbed, put some bp on it

Wait a week or two, because if you breakout because of the irritation the SA and BP are causing together, you will see only see it come up maybe 2 weeks after. If it feels just as gentle as a gentle bar and doesn't break you out, then maybe it's alright to use. Usually, cleansers with SA are more expensive, so when you run out, it may be just cost-efficient and more safe to just purchase a gentle cleansing bar instead.

You think i should stick with a cleansing bar?

How do you shave with a liquid cleanser? :think:

I would go back to a gentle bar, it's better to shave with and will cause you less irritation.

Which bar were you using before you switched to the SA cleanser?

for years I used an SA cleanser (not scrub, just liquid) and topical bp (10% because I didn't know better) and the combo never ever cleared me up, and it was super drying. When I found the Regimen, I really had to let go of those old habits I had of scrubbing hard while washing, and that dry would equal clear skin, because it just didn't. Switching to a gentle non-medicated cleanser was just against my nature, but I did it, and found that the Regimen does work, just as Dan says.

In the past, any scrubby cleanser always made my skin worse, create more breakouts, but I was so in the mindset that it should help, I would continue using the darn things.

I finally realized that scrubbing does not clear acne, being gentle is probably the single best thing I have learned from this website, and I wish I had realized it years and years earlier.

It is, of course, your choice which products you use, but if you deviate from the Regimen as Dan describes, then you aren't doing the Regimen. You are doing something different, and you may, or may not, get optimal results. I think alot of people deviate from the Regimen in some way, either with products or application process, and then say "well, the regimen didn't work for me" when in fact they weren't doing the regimen at all.

We know the Regimen works for alot of people, when used the way Dan says to, so if you want to use other products and scrubs and things, that's your choice, but you can't say you are on the Regimen really.

I have recently changed from a normal cleanser and 5% BP, to a salacylic cleanser and 10% BP.

And I have never been clearer! Seems to me there is nothing wrong with both, I was slightly dry for a while, but now am fine. And with 10% BP my oil is literally gone!

You think i should stick with a cleansing bar?

How do you shave with a liquid cleanser? :think:

I would go back to a gentle bar, it's better to shave with and will cause you less irritation.

Which bar were you using before you switched to the SA cleanser?

Well, if i go back to the gentle bar, I will be going to the Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing bar. I heard its good, and before i was just using a regular facial bar. Don't get me wrong, i was improving, so deviating had nothing to do with me not getting clear. Last night when i washed my face with the cleanser, i noticed i looked clear all around. I read something about SA helping to penetrate into the pore while BP actively destroys the bacteria. Perhaps I should safely go to Cetaphil Cleansing bar.

I would greatly appreciate anyone else who uses Salacylic Acid in the regimen.