Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CharlesInCharge

How expensive is Accutane?

It's very expensive, especially the brand name, but the generic isn't cheap either. My pharmacy receipt says that my single pack of 20mg Claravis (a generic) would be about $280 without insurance. That's a 30 day supply. If you are prescribed a higher dose you'll have to buy each pack separately, depending on what combo of pills they have to give you you may need several packs. Then you have to pay for monthly blood work and doctor's visits, plus all the moisturizers and lip balm and such. It's much better if you have insurance, but coverage varies widely so you should talk to your insurance company if you have one to see what they'll cover and what your out of pocket costs will be.

Thanks a lot for the reply. As of right now I'm on my mothers Insurance. But as of Febuary I will be 19 and I will have none.

Although I just got a new job but I'm not sure what type of insurance they will provide for me.

Accutane would cost me $3000, $50 a pill for 60 pills.

Generic cost me $5 with insurance, Claravis brand.

yeah insurance is a life saver....without it.........ouch

do you have any health insurance policies you can prepay or something ?

Accutane would cost me $3000, $50 a pill for 60 pills.

Generic cost me $5 with insurance, Claravis brand.

Wow, that is a lot.

yeah insurance is a life saver....without it.........ouch

do you have any health insurance policies you can prepay or something ?

I'm not sure if I can prepay or not, but like I said I'm sure I can get some sort of insurance from my new job I just doubt it will be as good as my old insurance.

accutane was 700 without insurance, and 420 for sotret- the generic. yikes!

So I take it that there is a difference quality wise depending on wether you take the Generic brank or the Fancy brand?

I took Roche Accutane the first time around (there were no generics for it at the time) I take Amnesteem (generic) now and I have the same results.

Yeah it's really expensive stuff.

A 4 months supply (40mg each day) of brand name Roaccutane cost me over £2! Yes, a whole 2 pound! God you've got to love the UK and NHS system sometimes! :whistle:

I have been paying out of pocket the past three months. Not only do you have to think about the prescription itself, but also that bloodwork and doctors office visit.

Bloodwork - $130

Office visit - $40

RX - $200-$400

Yes, its a lot!!!

I have been paying out of pocket the past three months. Not only do you have to think about the prescription itself, but also that bloodwork and doctors office visit.

Bloodwork - $130

Office visit - $40

RX - $200-$400

Yes, its a lot!!!

So does that mean it is 570 all together? Or is the RX $200-$400 everytime you fill up?

mine cost like 2sgd each pill, which is abt 1.2usd i guess..

the cost price my clinic bought was at 1sgd per pill tho.. easy $$ for those doctors...-.-

Cost me 80$ a month with my insurance. 400$ without.

So I pay 80 a month, and if I lost them or something I get them free with in that month.

Now, the doctor didn't cost me much either, but thats with insurance.

Doc bill added up to around 3,500$

Your looking at a price about 6,000$ with out the insurance. Unless you get a good deal on the doctor.

I live in the U.S.A

Also depends on how long you need to take TANE for.

Cost me 80$ a month with my insurance. 400$ without.

So I pay 80 a month, and if I lost them or something I get them free with in that month.

Now, the doctor didn't cost me much either, but thats with insurance.

Doc bill added up to around 3,500$

Your looking at a price about 6,000$ with out the insurance. Unless you get a good deal on the doctor.

I live in the U.S.A

Also depends on how long you need to take TANE for.

Yeah, that is a lot.

I' m still not sure if I will need Accutane because I am going to see the dermatoligist in about a month and I'm sure they'll precribe me something for a while before they recommend Accutane for me.

But I am fully prepared to take Accutane. My confidence lies in two of my friends that have taken it and the results for them have been wonderfull.

I'm trying to obtain a course of Accutane from the NHS (UK). A prescription costs £6.50 ($10?), but I don't know how much they put in a prescription! Anyway, I have to get referred to a dermatologist via my General Practitioner first, and my GP will probably find some excuse not to refer me. All this takes months to achieve. Depressing, isn't it?!

I'm trying to obtain a course of Accutane from the NHS (UK). A prescription costs £6.50 ($10?), but I don't know how much they put in a prescription! Anyway, I have to get referred to a dermatologist via my General Practitioner first, and my GP will probably find some excuse not to refer me. All this takes months to achieve. Depressing, isn't it?!

I'm not depressed or anything I am just tired of having to deal with it.

My face is worse now then it has been in 4 years but I have been dealing with acne since I was 11 (started puberty very early).

This will be my 1st Derm visit in almost 5 years so I am excited to see what they say.

My acne isn't that bad imo, but my friends that were on Accutane had better acne than I did and they turned out just fine. So far it has been 2 years for them (give or take) and they have recieved no side-effects or anything.

Bloodwork - $130

Office visit - $40

RX - $200-$400

Yes, its a lot!!!

So does that mean it is 570 all together? Or is the RX $200-$400 everytime you fill up?

The $200-400 dollars is EVERY time I pick a new prescription up - for the generic. So, about $600 a month for six months.