Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
funkymunky

why do i only break around my lips?

these days it seems that 85% of my acne is within a half inch or so radius from my mouth. is there something i'm missing? or something i'm doing wrong? i never touch my face. i sleep on my back so i don't mash my face into a puddle of drool. my diet is flawless. i'm currently on the botchla regimen. any thoughts on my condition would be greatly appreciated - jeremiah

these days it seems that 85% of my acne is within a half inch or so radius from my mouth. is there something i'm missing? or something i'm doing wrong? i never touch my face. i sleep on my back so i don't mash my face into a puddle of drool. my diet is flawless. i'm currently on the botchla regimen. any thoughts on my condition would be greatly appreciated - jeremiah

Well...I heard if you chew your fingernails or touch your fingernails to your lips that bacteria from your fingers spread around your mouth and cause acne. If you do chew your fingernails that might be the case...I hope this advice helps. ;)

that's weird .......why do ppl break out on there cheeks or jawline and mouth......... :think:

OR TEMPLES, FOREHEAD, CHIN, AND NOSE.... :think:

It might be a lip product or a sensitivity to toothpaste. Try washing your face with a gentle product like Purpose or Cetaphil after you brush your teeth, making sure to wash the effected area well, or switch to a toothpaste that doesn't contain sodium lauryl sulfate (or however it's spelled) and see if that helps. Check the ingredients of any lipbalm you might be using. It may also be something irritating that's getting on the area when you eat. I've had breakouts right at the lip line when i eat hotwings with cayenne in the sauce, but other sauce types like teriyaki don't seem to have the same reaction. Cayenne doesn't bother me from eating it, but when it gets on my skin directly it does and it's hard to eat wings without getting it on your face.

thanks for all your great replies and advice. i do bite my nails like crazy...i'm gonna quit and see if it helps. i'm also gonna use listerine when i brush to help kill the bacteria. who knows, maybe a few months from now i'll be virtually acne free...yeah (nice dream). thanks again guys - jeremiah

You may want to try cutting back on your flouride. In August, I went from flawless skin to constant breakouts around my mouth practically overnight. I hadn't changed anything, except that I started drinking tap water instead of bottled water (I don't drink soda or juice at all). I didn't make the connection until last week. My skin was breaking out so bad, I was contemplating making a dermatologist appointment and getting back on antibiotics (I have also been on Accutane). I had been trying to find a solution. I even started using a Brita Pitcher for my drinking water and to wash my face. I did see some improvement, but I was still constantly breaking out. Last week I started reading about SLS (sodium lauryl sulfates) and fluoride in toothpastes irritating skin, so I switched to a flouride-free toothpaste. I really like Tom's of Maine Fluoride-free in Silly Strawberry (it's made for kids). Pretty much overnight my skin stopped breaking out. I can't believe the difference. It's only been a week, but hopefully this is a permanent solution for me - and for someone else. I usually just browse the boards, but felt compelled to post my experience.

I was googling flouride and found that 4 ppm is the maximum level allowed in U.S. tap water, but that toothpaste often contains 1000 ppm - 1500 ppm (that's why there's a poison warning on toothpaste). Bottled water often has very low doses, if at all. Even though you do not swallow toothpaste, fluoride is still readily absorbed by the skin in your mouth. I think in August, I was getting a high dose of flouride in my toothpaste plus a high dose from the tap water, too - it was more than my skin could handle.

How do you mean Tap Water is bad! :(

Should I stop drinking it, plus I live in Wales....are things different over here?

Lee.

How do you mean Tap Water is bad! :(

Should I stop drinking it, plus I live in Wales....are things different over here?

Lee.

Tap water isn't necessarily bad. We had always used bottled water because we live out in the country and have very hard water (high mineral content). The bottled water I had been drinking had very little fluoride, but our tap water had much higher levels (U.S. tap water has fluoride added to it). Small amounts of fluoride help prevent tooth decay, but high levels can do more harm than good. I drink water all day long (I don't like sodas and caffeine makes me dizzy), so I get a pretty high dose of fluoride compared to someone who drinks juice or sodas all day long and only occasionally drinks water. For me, fluoride in tap water plus fluoride in toothpaste was too much.

Thank you Shutterbug for your post. Same situation with me although I will occassionally cheat and use tap water for my oatmeal in the morning. Yuck! Anyway I use tom's of Maine toothpaste as well. But I use the Apricot one. The only danger in it I think is that it taste so good! Anway, water is something to look at as well as the fluoride in your toothpaste. Hard water especially, as it is drying to the skin and because it has higher mineral content that crap stays in your skin when soap is mixed with it. I wasn't breaking out around my mouth but with Crest toothpaste it would peel the inside of my mouth and i got canker sores. Crest toothpastes have a high amount of Flouride in them. Sorry, thats kind of an over-share but something to think about.

Hard water especially, as it is drying to the skin and because it has higher mineral content that crap stays in your skin when soap is mixed with it.

For a couple of months I've been only using filtered water to wash my face. It really does make a difference. My skin is softer, and doesn't feel dried out after washing it (even now in the dead of winter). Before, I would have to re-apply moisturizer (Cetaphil) several times when I used tap water and my face would still feel dry.

OMG! Crest gave me canker sores, too. Aquafresh didn't bother me, but Crest was horrible. Tom's of Maine rocks! I wish that they would make the Orange-Mango fluoride-free, too. Although I might have to try the Apricot next time.

I too suffere from perioral acne. FYI people, dont get perioral acne confused with herpes. Google pics of herpes to make sure.

Ok, not using fluoride can result in cavities. So before ANYONE stops using fluorided, confirm that it is causing your problems.

So, go to the dentist and get an Rx for a fluoride mouthwash, high concentration. I just did that.

I am going to apply this solution to a specific spot, and if it causes no acne, I am gonna say that toothpaste is safe.