Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davin

22 M, Davins experience with Mr. Tane

Well I have had acne since I was about 14 year old. On and off. I finally decided to take accutane after nothing else worked for me. I am now 22 and on my 7th day of accutane. I wanted to post because I want to help other people, and tell my story. So far my skin has been oily.. back dry, and lips starting to get dry. I cant stand acne anymore.. I was hoping it would go away on its own, but of course it didnt. Otherwise I wouldnt be here. I also have bacne.. which I cant even go swimming in the summer without being afraid to take off my shirt. So I am praying that accutane will finally work for me and I can start living a happy life again. I have no shame.. so I dont mind posting pics. Right now I am drinking a ton of water, and using cetaphil SPF lotion, and chapstick lip balm/ and Burts Bees on my lips. So far.. I have not come across and pain in joints, or bloody nose.. just my skin is breaking out. I hope it starts to calm down. I am on 40mg. right now. and I weigh about 170 pounds. But its X-mas so I will update this later! here is a few pics

post-34132-1135524794_thumb.jpg

post-34132-1135524830_thumb.jpg

post-34132-1135524794_thumb.jpg

post-34132-1135524830_thumb.jpg

Good luck mate! Keep us updated. Really hope the accutane works for you.

I feel exactly the same about how acne can screw up the life of a twenty

something male. I've lost girlfriends to it too.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS,

Tom

Thanks Mr. Tom! question.. I am having huge white heads appear on my forehead.. and they will not go away until I wash my face and they tear open? Has this happened to anyone else? This is the worst my face has ever been in my whole life! Also, when I go out.. at work etc.. I had been wearing a hat.. would that make it worse? Anyone had any advice?

Tommorow I am going to go get some emu oil, look for aquafor, vitamin E, cetaphil spf face lotion, and some flax seed oil to help combat

You sound pretty much in the exact situation I am in at the moment. I am 22 in a month weigh 77kg and your story pretty much sums up my life for the last few years. Infact from your pics your severity looks very similar to mine however my forehead is pretty much always clear and it attacks my jawline really badly.

Acne has damaged me the worst psychologically which is really hard. I used to love hanging out with friends etc but I avoid that even now and I barely go out anywhere either :doubt:

Anyway I am probably almost 2 months into my tane course. I started on 20mg a day and its been a bit up and down.

Same symptoms you have described for the first week, it gets really oily the first day or so then starts to dry up and I had a bit of a breakout towards the end of the first week. By then I was pretty much sahara desert skin peeling off dry and I started to use a small amount of moisturiser however my skin seems to adjust to the dryness really quickly and after about 2 days I didn't need any moisturiser to be comfortable.

Towards the end of the 2nd week I was the clearest I have been in a long time however it didn't last I guess probably due to the fact my skin had become accustomed such a low dosage and was doing its best to keep pumping out sebum. That continued for another 2-3 weeks gradually getting worse again which was pretty depressing.

I have had my first lot of bloodtests while ON tane and have been bumped up to 30mg a day (20mg once a day then 20mg twice a day alternating) and have been on that for about a week and am improving again which gives me some more hope :) Same deal with dryness, I use moisturiser occasionally only when it gets uncomfortable/can actually see dry skin and I am going without more and more.

I honestly think that putting any kind of stuff into your skin whether it is listed as non-comedogenic or not still can't be as good and putting nothing into it.

When I do wash with something I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser however I found even that makes my skin dry out a fair bit, enough to warrant moisturiser. I have started to just use water now which which is very hard when you have been washing your face for years with a ton of different stuff but I found that is helping.

Other than that dry lips and eyes are my main complaints, nothing eyedrops and chapstick can't fix. I also had a bit of joint pain early on but that seems to have passed.

I'd say if you are starting on 40mg a day you are going to get some harsh dryness very soon, but there is hope for sure :) Good luck with it all!

Seeing I typed all this out I should probably start a log of my own as I do have a few pics I have taken every now and then other people may be interested in comparing progress with.

Davin- to answer ur question, when i get huge whiteheads, i always pop them and they go away the next day or two. however if i leave them alone like everyone says, they just sit there forever. im on my 70th day of accutane. So ive finished a little more than 2 months. i definitly see improvements, but not like i was expecting. When i first started my treatment, my dermotologists said i will be completely clear in 12 weeks. I doubt that is going to happen unless there is a miracle. I have been so close to clearing up, and then the next day i totally break out again..

Chikin- I agree with you on the moisturizing part. I only moisturize prior to putting on makeup. but just walking around the house or going to sleep, i don't. And what you said about clearing up after 2 weeks sounds like me. My face cleared after 2 weeks of treatment, and i thought accutane was amazing. Unfortunately, it was just a tease and i broke out even worse.

I guess its a little different for me as I am a guy, no makeup goes on my skin :)

I am the same when it comes to noticeable whiteheads, I can't stand them and I have to pop them. However it can be a double edged sword as if it doesn't pop easily its not hard to make it twice as bad. I have been trying to just leave my face alone and not touch it at all but its incredibly hard.

Yeah i know how you feel, the huge whitehead f**kers look so bad, but i think popping them will only make it worse.

Guest tenshigirl25

well dont worry..im on accutane too and my acne was a lot worse then yours..actually, i wouldnt even say yours qualifys for accutane..but it is an amzing drug. my face has never been this clear in my life. i am in month 4 now and it took about 2 - 3 months to see really good results. u look good, so dont worry.. :D

Well the pics kind of hide some of it.. trust me its worse then it looks.. As most people on with acne.. I am becoming like a magician hiding it.. lol its scary.. I will be thinking about it while talking to people.. and on purpose look a certain direction, or walk on a certain side of someone... I should take some pics of my back which is pretty bad. :(

DAY 11: My skin is improving a bit.. kind of calming down a little. still oily. The whiteheads.. I have just been scraping them after the shower and trying to not "pop" them and hoping that it wont leave scars. My back is looking a little bit better. Although the tops of my shoulders are breaking out.

:boohoo: what sucks is over Christmas I only see most of my family once a year and I could see them starring at my skin.. and new years is coming up this weekend.. Some friends invited me out.. and I am afraid to go anywhere. Tottally kills my confidence. :ninja:

I had trouble finding emu oil.. what kind is everyone using? i found this:

http://kalayaskincare.net/catalog/product_...&products_id=61

Well the pics kind of hide some of it.. trust me its worse then it looks.. As most people on with acne.. I am becoming like a magician hiding it.. lol its scary.. I will be thinking about it while talking to people.. and on purpose look a certain direction, or walk on a certain side of someone... I should take some pics of my back which is pretty bad. :(

DAY 11: My skin is improving a bit.. kind of calming down a little. still oily. The whiteheads.. I have just been scraping them after the shower and trying to not "pop" them and hoping that it wont leave scars. My back is looking a little bit better. Although the tops of my shoulders are breaking out.

:boohoo: what sucks is over Christmas I only see most of my family once a year and I could see them starring at my skin.. and new years is coming up this weekend.. Some friends invited me out.. and I am afraid to go anywhere. Tottally kills my confidence. :ninja:

I hate to break it to you. You haven't had your break out yet. Your skin might have turned red and it might seem worse, but you can still see parts of your skin. The breakout happens after about 2 weeks in most cases. And it tends to be exactly after it starts to get btter.

You see it's better and getting better an you're just amazed that it's been less than 2 weeks.. And the next day, boom. Don't worry though, your face doesn't look that bad and for men, looks are irrelevant when it comes to women. Go out and have a good time, stop worrin about that shit. You only live once.

:pray: oh no.. lol that was the last thing I needed to hear.. but o well.. I will stick it out and see what happens.

Story of the day: long story short

I am at work.. I do security systems.. and we are aiming cameras.. I am up on a ladder with my face right in front of the thing and the guy I work with is telling me to move it left or right etc.. usually he is a good guy. Today we were rushing to get things done.. and it got ugly. lol so after me thinking about my face being plastered in front of a monitor all day.... he says we dont have time for me to go out and get lunch and just have some of his.... now his and reg. soda.. I dont drink caffine.. and candy bars.. etc.. and I am thinking to myself.. my skin is bad enough.. I dont need to chance anything. So I say I want to go to Dominicks.. he gets mad tells me to go home. Now I am about to get in my car.. and I call another guy we always work with to tell him what happened and see if he could talk some sense into him. He knew I was on Accutane. SO he calls him and the guy I was working with calls back and said he was really sorry and didnt know I was on medication etc.. so yeah.. its getting in the way as always.

ALthough I am happy to report that.. as of yet I havent had many side effects at all.. as far as joint pain etc.. just dry lips and I had a headache.. but went away after a day.. not sure if it caused it.. I was worring about the brain pressure thing. Still excercising and drinking alot of water. Havent found the emu oil, and havent picked up anymore flax seed or vitamin E. I will this weekend though.

I was worring about the brain pressure thing. Still excercising and drinking alot of water. Havent found the emu oil, and havent picked up anymore flax seed or vitamin E. I will this weekend though.

Hey, good luck with the roaccutane. I didn't have any effects until about three weeks in then my skin got really bad and was much worse than when I started but you have to stick with it as you will wake up one day and all your spots will be gone. I have pics in my diary http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...19&hl=larabeard

I was started off on 40mg and then a month in put up to 60mg to start with I started getting headaches. I was scared shitless that my brain was expanding too but I rang my derm and we alternated the dosage and soon I got used to it now i'm fine. It might be roaccutane or just coincedence. The only time you need to worry is if you get blurred vision or double vision but if you are worried about a headache just ring your derm. I harrased mine like mad one week he got a call off me every day that week. The brain symptom is very very very rare. The other thing that I saw you mention was joint pain again that is very rare and my derm has only seen it one patient that was a england level squash player. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info.. well on day 13 I am starting to get the nose bleeds.. not major.. but it drys up inside and when I blow my nose. ... and is dry around the edges of my nose... :liar: people prob think I am doing cocaine or something cause I am always rubbin my nose casue it itchs! lol

Thanks for the info.. well on day 13 I am starting to get the nose bleeds.. not major.. but it drys up inside and when I blow my nose. ... and is dry around the edges of my nose... :liar: people prob think I am doing cocaine or something cause I am always rubbin my nose casue it itchs! lol

Yeah I haven't had any nosebleeds at all the only thing that really annoys me is how dry my lips get but if i keep them well moisturised they are fine. If your lips ever get really bad you wanna try lutsine xeramance cream they sell it in boots and its recommended by dermatologists i only have to apply it three times a day as opposed to every 30 minutes when i used vasaline. Good luck.

It sounds like you and I went on 'tane at just about the same time, so fear not...even though we don't know each other, we're in this together!

All I can say is hang in there and cheer up. Coming from the chick perspective, I can say that you're quite cute, and as for your ex...it's her loss.

Six months from now, you'll be like this :dance: and she'll be like this :doh:

"they sell it in boots" LOL that part scared me.. :think: thanks beaney! Let me know how your doing as we go.. or do you have a thread going?

Yeah my ex is a weird situation.. which I dont want to put people to sleep talking about it... unless you want to know.

I went out last night since my skin is doing rather good! but like someone posted before.. it will prob get worse. So I figured I should take advantage of it while I can since it was New Years! Went to a friends party and had a blast! Saw a bunch of old friends that I havent seen since I was like 13! It was weird, and I had a female admirer.. lol we were suppose to go back and hang out.. but my buddy and his girl started causing drama.. the one thing I hate the most. Sticking to the accutane regimen.. I didnt want to chance drinking.. so I drove and didnt even have one. I know it prob wouldnt hurt.. but I want to do whatever I can and try and get the cockroaches off my face and back.. man it will be so nice to be able to take off my shirt and not worry about it. :pray:

Day 13

Skin is doing a little better. No real side effect except dry nose and lips. I stopped putting on alot of cetaphil, and my face isnt getting as oily.

"they sell it in boots" LOL that part scared me.. :think: thanks beaney! Let me know how your doing as we go.. or do you have a thread going?

Yeah my ex is a weird situation.. which I dont want to put people to sleep talking about it... unless you want to know.

I went out last night since my skin is doing rather good! but like someone posted before.. it will prob get worse. So I figured I should take advantage of it while I can since it was New Years! Went to a friends party and had a blast! Saw a bunch of old friends that I havent seen since I was like 13! It was weird, and I had a female admirer.. lol we were suppose to go back and hang out.. but my buddy and his girl started causing drama.. the one thing I hate the most. Sticking to the accutane regimen.. I didnt want to chance drinking.. so I drove and didnt even have one. I know it prob wouldnt hurt.. but I want to do whatever I can and try and get the cockroaches off my face and back.. man it will be so nice to be able to take off my shirt and not worry about it. :pray:

Day 13

Skin is doing a little better. No real side effect except dry nose and lips. I stopped putting on alot of cetaphil, and my face isnt getting as oily.

ALSO what I.U should I be taking of vitamin E? I bought 400 I.U.. I weigh about 170 pounds?

Regarding the vitamin E thing, all the research I did prior to starting tane said that anywhere from 400 to 800 I.U. is good. If you take more than 800, there start to be some side effects (headaches, blood thinning--both of which are potential side effects of the accutane itself), and more than 1000 I.U. is dangerous.

The 400 sounds good. That's what I take each morning.

Also, whenever you have your next derm appointment (I don't mean to sound like a mom, but you should be going every month for checkups and bloodwork), ask him/her for a recommendation. There's no substitute for a doctor's opinion.

Oh, and by the way, I don't have a thread going (yet), although I'm thinking about starting one. Although, it would be pretty boring. So far, my story is the same as almost everyone else's--very chapped lips, slightly dry skin, and minor backache when I first lie down at night. But, two weeks into the treatment I haven't had any nosebleeds, no joint pain (which was something that really worried me at first--I love working out, and I was afraid the exercise would stress my knees), and I haven't broken out. I'm already looking better...not good, but better.

oh man.. I got a major nosebleed at like 5am this morning! I woke up, and all the sudden my nose started gushing blood like someone punched me in my sleep! Kinda scary! Thanks Beany.. my mom actually told me the same thing on the E, so I am taking the 400 and Flax seed oil now.

I need to find something to help the inside on my nose.. anyone?

Still getting headaches, :doh: and my back is breaking out a bit more, face is about the same

oh man.. I got a major nosebleed at like 5am this morning! I woke up, and all the sudden my nose started gushing blood like someone punched me in my sleep! Kinda scary! Thanks Beany.. my mom actually told me the same thing on the E, so I am taking the 400 and Flax seed oil now.

I need to find something to help the inside on my nose.. anyone?

Still getting headaches, :doh: and my back is breaking out a bit more, face is about the same

I'm in a similar situation to you: 26 year old male, 170 lbs., 80 mg/day. I started on Dec. 19th so I think I'm on day 16 now. However, my nose has been pretty good. Twice a day, I take a q-tip, dip it in vaseline, and coat the inside of my nostrils to prevent them from drying out. I do this in the morning after the shower and at night before bed, and it seems to be helping quite a bit.

Good luck.

Thanks Mr. Tom! question.. I am having huge white heads appear on my forehead.. and they will not go away until I wash my face and they tear open? Has this happened to anyone else? This is the worst my face has ever been in my whole life! Also, when I go out.. at work etc.. I had been wearing a hat.. would that make it worse? Anyone had any advice?

Tommorow I am going to go get some emu oil, look for aquafor, vitamin E, cetaphil spf face lotion, and some flax seed oil to help combat

All those products are ones I've used, and have really liked them all. Well except I just used the Cetaphil Cream but not with SPF....I use different stuff w/SPF.

I really like the Emu Oil and felt like it made my skin soft. But then it didn't seem like it was moisturizing enough after awhile, so then I'd just mix it with my moisturizer!

Good luck with your Tane Treatment.

what emu oil are you using? I couldnt find any when I went to the store and I see all kinds on the web?

ok i am typying right now with one hand cause my nose is gushing again... what should i do? why is it bleeding so much?