Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay_68

Mold on clothes

Mycotoxins may contribute to the development of acne. But is there any relationship between moldy clothes and acne? I think it is a possibility.

Do you always remove your laundry from the washing machine promptly? Don't leave wet clothes in the washer where mold can grow quickly!

Do you use a dryer? What about washing powders? have you ever tried non-bio washing powders? If biological washing powders kill bacteria only, we can have trouble with molds! It is like antibiotics do not kill fungi, fungal infections can worsen while taking atibiotics.

Since I am using a dryer machine, my acne is getting better. And if moldy clothes can cause acne, we can have an explanation why acne becomes worse during the winter - it is a known fact that SUNLIGHT kills molds.

Any comments?

Or maybe you should just go shopping? Ever heard of that? Some clothes belong to the needy. Although I wouldn't give molded clothes to the needy. There's a lot of places out there that sells new clothes. Trust me.

How many people with acne actually let their clothes get moldy..?

I am willing to guess ..not many.

I have been on this earth for almost 40 years, not once have I dealt with mold on my clothes.

With all due respect.. I think you are reaching to extremes.

This is why parents eat their young in the wild..... j/k but thanks for the laugh

Seriously, if you're getting moldy clothes you have much bigger problems than just acne

Mycotoxins may contribute to the development of acne. But is there any relationship between moldy clothes and acne? I think it is a possibility.

Since I am using a dryer machine, my acne is getting better. And if moldy clothes can cause acne, we can have an explanation why acne becomes worse during the winter - it is a known fact that SUNLIGHT kills molds.

Any comments?

Yeah, but sunlight kills P.Acnes, which is the main culprit in acne. Removal of P.Acnes stops acne in most people. Everyone has bacteria/molds of all kinds on their skin as well, but molds don't necessarily respond to say, minocycline, but acne does.

OTOH some people's acne doesn't respond to mino, but does respond to Bactrim and Septrim; these kill some kinds of molds... so YMMV. It depends what is causing your skin condition.

Or maybe you should just go shopping? Ever heard of that? Some clothes belong to the needy. Although I wouldn't give molded clothes to the needy. There's a lot of places out there that sells new clothes. Trust me.

I've gotten some of my best clothes from thrift stores and salvation army/ goodwill type places. It's awesome!! Awesomely cheap, I wouldn't want to pay the redicouluss prices they charge in dept. stores and the like. But I guess im not really keeping up with the FASHUNs lately. oh well. I don't think the clothes you wear can contribute to your acne, but I fancy myself somewhat of a scrub. :lol2:

And if moldy clothes can cause acne, we can have an explanation why acne becomes worse during the winte

yo maybe it gets worse cus of all the dry heat inside and cold air outside?

OK, so here's the deal, anti-fungal medications are thought to also be anti-cholesterol drugs (statins). Certain advocates of the fungal connection say that doctors don't know how statins work, only that they do. Since fungi are blamed for high cholesterol problems that apparently go away when one's diet changes (theory being they dropped the fungi infested foods) and/or go on an antifungal regimen, perhaps there is some truth to this...

In the mean time, here's how it connects to acne development

Int J Tissue React. 1988;10(2):111-3. Related Articles, Links

The effect of ketoconazole on sebum secretion in patients suffering from acne and seborrhoea.

De Pedrini P, Rapisarda R, Spano G.

Clinica Medica Generale e Terapia Medica Institute, La Sapienza, University of Rome, Italy.

Ketoconazole, an imidazolic antimycotic derivative, has proved to have an antiandrogenous effect, which may be observed to inhibit the adrenal and gonadal steroid synthesis. The authors wished to verify this effect of the drug in men and women suffering from acne and seborrhoea, conditions believed to indicate a heightened androgenous effect in the sebaceous gland. They aimed to do this by studying the cutaneous sebum, which is considered a reliable indirect indicatorof androgenous activity. They found a statistically significant decrease in the rate of sebum production in all patients administered with a single daily oral dose of ketoconazole (200 mg). Moreover no untoward side-effects were reported. The anti-androgenous property of ketoconazole would therefore suggest that the drug could be proposed as a useful alternative in the treatment of acne and seborrhoea. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

heres my comment :

[email protected]!HU!!!111one

maybe people with acne should just start living in a plastic bubble.

ever heard of the bubble-boy syndrome?

please make an experiment: put some baker's yeast onto your skin, preferably not fresh one (when it gets rotten will be invaded by molds). This will cause terrible severe acne!

Answers? Are you still laughing?

puttin yeast on my skin will give me acne?:|

what else man

i dont mean to disrespect anybody but when i saw what you wrote here i spat on my screen.

i know everybody wants to find something that will help but for fucks sake....

puttin yeast on my skin will give me acne?:|

what else man

i dont mean to disrespect anybody but when i saw what you wrote here i spat on my screen.

i know everybody wants to find something that will help but for fucks sake....

Well, I do not advice putting yeasts onto your skin, but believe me, this is not a joke. And yes, I know that this theory sounds really weird... and this is only just a hypothesis, just another one. I am not saying that I am an acne researcher, but I am aware of the official explanations what you can find in textbooks. What we know that this disease is related to hormone-imbalance (androgens), and this hypothesis seems to be the best one that works in reality. I personally do not believe the existence of acne bacteria, and treating millions of patients with roaccutane is not ethical. Everyone knows that acne recurs after treatment, it is nothing else just "palliative" therapy (means does not cure the disease itself).

If you read the latest scientific papers on this topic, you might know that they found a correlation between milk consumption and the severity of acne. They found a link between vitamin-D as well. If you know something about the biochemistry of vitamin-D you should be aware of the fact that one of the forms of pre-vitamin-D can only be found in the cell membrane of fungi in nature. And please check PubMed, it is a known fact that different fungi are linked to acne-like skin diseases. Another interesting fact is that those patients who underwent kidney transplantations and are taking immunosuppressive drugs (for example Cyclosporin A) suffer from severe acne. It is well known among physicians that these patients have severe fungal infections due to the immunosuppressive treatment. I believe (but it is just a hypothesis!) acne has something to do with fungi.

But there are several hypothesis. Maybe it is something extremely simple. Something which is linked to our western civilization. Something what is part of our every day life, and we do not recognize as a cause of skin diseases.

maybe it is true,

but amazingly enough i dont give a shit about mycotoxins, i mean you cant worry about shit like that in your life.

I know this thread is old but if I already took cyclosporin and my acne started right when I started taking those pills, would that be the reason why I have acne? And since I am not taking those pills anymore would accutane solve my problem still?

Eh....I actually yheard something like you should switch pillowcases frequently because bacteria can build up on them and thus affect your face....is it really that important? No.