Notifications
Clear all

Aldactone.. Anyone tried it?

MemberMember
(@acneisenemy)

Posted : 12/21/2005 12:35 am

I went to the derm tonight.. he noticed that my acne wasn't really going a way as much as either of us had hoped.. So on top of my 1 a day 100mg of doxy he gave me once a day 100mg of aldactone.. he also said.. I might want to consider a type of photo therapy or something of the similar.. but yes.. Aldactone.. Anyone experienced success with that?

MemberMember
(@pankins)

Posted : 12/21/2005 12:45 am

Yes, I have been taking it for over a year now (aka spirinolactone). I think Aldactone is generic. It inhibits your androgenous hormones therefore clearing your acne and does a fabulous job I might add. Hopefully he told you of all the side effect you could have and to stay away from potassium rich food (bananas, potatos). You can eat some, but in moderation. It also makes you pee a lot as it is a diuretic mainly used for hpyertension.

Good stuff for acne though, especially if your acne is hormonal.

MemberMember
(@acneisenemy)

Posted : 12/21/2005 12:54 am

Yes, I have been taking it for over a year now (aka spirinolactone). I think Aldactone is generic. It inhibits your androgenous hormones therefore clearing your acne and does a fabulous job I might add. Hopefully he told you of all the side effect you could have and to stay away from potassium rich food (bananas, potatos). You can eat some, but in moderation. It also makes you pee a lot as it is a diuretic mainly used for hpyertension.

Good stuff for acne though, especially if your acne is hormonal.

Wow I am so glad to hear that it works pretty well :D and yes I think my acne is mostly hormonal.. Wow I am so excited now.. Thanks :D

He didn't tell me about the potassium thing though.. what happens if I consume too much potassium while taking Aldactone?

MemberMember
(@pankins)

Posted : 12/21/2005 1:20 am

well, aldactone/sprinolactone raises your potassium levels. Too much potassium can put you ino cardiac arrest (now that is EXTREME Levels...your not ganna have a heart attack if you eat a banana), but i THINK that over time, too much potassium intake while on it can cause you some heart problems. You might wanna google it to get better info on the subject. I'm not an expert on it, but I do know that eating too many potassium rich foods while on it is a big no no. I think you are also supposed to stay away from mulit vitamins with potassium as well.

http://www.medicinenet.com/spironolactone/article.htm

Here is one link i found for you on the spirinolactone.

MemberMember
(@acneisenemy)

Posted : 12/21/2005 1:31 am

Wow.. Thank you for all that info :).. I shall be sure to stay away from eating too much potassium.. also away from my multivitamin with potassium.. Thanks again..

MemberMember
(@t)

Posted : 12/21/2005 3:54 pm

I just had my hormones tested, got my appt. on the 6th of january. He said that if my testoterone levels are too high, he is putting me on spiro, or aldactone. I hope I get it after reading this thread.

I have been off accutane for bout 4.5 months now, acne is slowly coming back. Both my doc and I are afraid it will get as bad as it was originally. I have been on Diane 35 for almost a year now, not really helping at all.

MemberMember
(@nonnie1983)

Posted : 12/21/2005 10:39 pm

Wow.. Thank you for all that info :).. I shall be sure to stay away from eating too much potassium.. also away from my multivitamin with potassium.. Thanks again..

my derm said after 3 months of spiro, he wanted my K+ levels tested. my potassium levels were never elevated, and i consume a lot of food w/ potassium b/c of my athletics. (they always say dont eat bananas but seafood, meat, poultry, protein shakes, etc contain high levels if not higher).

it turns out though i was feeling very dizzy and such off and on. i didnt like that, and this drug can actually lower your blood pressure. being an athlete, mine is very low to begin with, and a very low blood pressure is a scary thing.

so after 3 months of 100 mg of spiro, which was really helping, i decided to give it up b/c of how i was feeling. ive been off it for a couple weeks, and my skin still looks great. I think college stress was kicking in. but im going to give yasmin a try b/c it has a more acceptable amount of spiro in it.

my derm told me you cannot stay on this drug for long term b/c of all of the side effects and b/c they are not too many long term studies. plus having to dish out $60 every 3 months to see him and get blood work got me thinking.

MemberMember
(@grace-embraced)

Posted : 12/26/2015 7:31 pm

Birth control and aldactone acne treatment:

I am hoping to receive some feedback from anyone who is currently receiving or has received treatment for acne by using birth control and aldactone.

My daughter who is almost 18 has been battling acne since 8th grade. She tried antibiotics, topicals, natural treatments (that did help for awhile), and diet changes. She continued to break out mainly on her forehead (large pustules) and cheeks (some cysts and pustules). She also had acne on her back and chest.

In mid-September, her doctor prescribed birth control (Ortho tri cyclen) not just because of acne, But also for her heavy periods and PMS symptoms.She had an initial breakout that lasted about 6 weeks. She saw some clearing on her back and chest, forehead cleared up nicely, but her cheeks were still breaking out.

She just went in for her 3 month checkup and her doctor added 100mg/day of aldactone.

I am praying this works for her! She also has been using Retin A 3 times per week for about 1 month.

Have any of you had success or failure with this treatment? I'd love to hear your feedback!