Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lemurballs

Minocycline, is my dosage considered low?

Hi, I'm just trying to gauge what how my dosage of prescription meds compares to others with acne. I feel I have moderate acne, with several cystic ones scattered at a time. I am currently on 100mg/day of mincycline + Zoderm 4.5% BP.

I noticed some people are on 500mg Doxycycline...what kind of acne do they have? From the sticky on top i read that Minocycline is less powerful than Doxycycline, & Tetracycline is the most robust. Is my doctor trying to ease me into these....seeing how it goes?

Nah, that's a good dose to start out on. If you are still having problems your derm will probably increase it. Different antibotics need different doses, for example I was on 200mg of mino daily and am now on 2000mg of Keflex daily. Good luck! :)

i started yesturday. I stopped them this time last year because i had been on them for AGES (years) and they seemed to stop working. Anyway had a recent bad breakout so decided id try them again.. i hope they help.

im on 100mg a day to, if it works on a low dose that better for you in the long run.

Goood luck

I noticed some people are on 500mg Doxycycline...what kind of acne do they have? From the sticky on top i read that Minocycline is less powerful than Doxycycline, & Tetracycline is the most robust. Is my doctor trying to ease me into these....seeing how it goes?

Mino is fat soluble, so you don't need as big a dose as it builds up, AFAIK neither Doxy or Tet are fat soluble so you need a bigger dose of those. AFAIK Tetracycline is less effective than Doxy or Mino but YMMV.

Mino is fat soluble, so you don't need as big a dose as it builds up, AFAIK neither Doxy or Tet are fat soluble so you need a bigger dose of those. AFAIK Tetracycline is less effective than Doxy or Mino but YMMV.

While Mino is indeed fat soluble, it only builds up in the fat, but that does not have an affect upon Acne after Mino treatment is stopped. Its anti-biotic effectiveness is lost after only a day or two (like any anti-biotic). The fact that it is stored in the fat is why your gums, or other body parts, may start to discolour purple (I believe it's purple) after prolonged use.

As for if 100mg is low, no. If you have to take a larger dose for it to be effective you should move on to another drug. However, give it at least a month to judge its effectiveness. You should see progress after a month into treatment.

Guest Fearless*Bunny

I'm on 200 mg a day, but she said she only wants to keep me on it for 2 months.