Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kah_lua47

MInocycline 100mg & retin-A micro .04% gel

I've had acne on and off for about 4 years. I'm 23 yrs old and have just about HAD it. yeah.. it took me this LONG to finally give in to prescription meds :(. i know! i know! SO.. today marks the first day of my regimen and I have been praying since I left the derm's office that this works. I'm just tired of it already. Wish me Luck!!

prescription:

100mg of Mino twice a day

0.04% retin-a gel (apply at night after face wash)

I haven't done much research on any of these two meds (because I went in thinking I was gonna get put on accutane) so any tips are more than welcome. Just PLEASE don't come in ONLY to tell me that it won't work. Thanks in advance.

MONTHLY UPDATE:

left and ride side taken at start of regimen: 12-20-2005

IPB Image

left and ride side taken today (a month and 2 days into regimen): 1-22-06

IPB Image

Wont tell you it wont work because ive never tried it. One friend of mine recommended retin a but never got around to it. I am 15 years old and im on 100mg Minocycline once a day. Been on it for around 3 months now and my docter says hes seen a world of difference in my face.

My acne is similar to yours, i have red marks on my cheeks and theyve tagged along since 2003, wish i had pics to show you what i mean.

Anywayz, good luck with the mino and if youd like ill check in with you if i see any improvements with it.

Good luck! Can't wait to see more pics of your progress. Did you ever decide on what cleanser you were going to use? Cetaphil is decent stuff, very gentle. Keep us updated! (I'm getting excited for you...lol) :D

Im on the exact meds, but including Evoclin(which burns soo much, luck u!! :D)

Ive been on them 4 6 months and this is probably the best thing so far :D

Thanks you guys..soo much! It really helps to have soo much support and know that I'm not in this alone.

Shez, It's great to hear that mino worked for you.. I hope I get the same success :). Please, keep in touch. I'm praying that I have improvements in the next month or so.

As for my pics..they actually need some updating. For a while there my red marks were slowly, but surely fading away.. and my breakouts weren't nearly as extreme.. but just this past month I started to break out again and that's when I decided I had enough. I'll post up with some new pics soon. Most of my red marks are gone but my breakouts are back :(.

Hi danielle.. sorry, I didn't realize that I forgot to post up with a cleanser. I tried the cetaphil gentle skin cleanser (liquid) but didn't like it too much ecause my face didn't feel completely CLEAN.. so I switched to the cetaphil bar of soap (the one that they rave about here on acne.org. hehe). I like this one much more. Now I'm on a search for a good moisturizer. I'm hearing great things about complex 15.. so we'll see.

DAY 2

I'm not sure if I applied the retin-a correctly. I was told by my derm to apply it as long as I can tolerate it and to try and work myself up to leaving it on overnight. Well, last night was my first night and I left it on all night with zero irritations to report. I'm thinking I'm going to apply a little more tonight and see where that leads.

As for my acne.. I'm just greatful that I have no NEW breakouts this morning. I have a few of my current ones coming to head (which is a good thing) so we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Also, I didn't sleep very well last night.. my mouth kept drying out and when I woke up I just felt real thirsty. Take note though that I drink at LEAST a gallon of water on a daily basis so it's not because I'm dehydrated ;). I'm not sure if it's the mino that' causing this.. I'll check up in after this.

Thanks you guys..soo much! It really helps to have soo much support and know that I'm not in this alone.

Shez, It's great to hear that mino worked for you.. I hope I get the same success :). Please, keep in touch. I'm praying that I have improvements in the next month or so.

As for my pics..they actually need some updating. For a while there my red marks were slowly, but surely fading away.. and my breakouts weren't nearly as extreme.. but just this past month I started to break out again and that's when I decided I had enough. I'll post up with some new pics soon. Most of my red marks are gone but my breakouts are back :(.

No problem :D

Yeah, ull definently get sum results by the end of the first month :)

yeah i starting going to a derm when ppl started looking at me differently :( (when my acne started)

i knew i had to d o sumthing about it

well i hope u get clear :D

DAY 2

I'm not sure if I applied the retin-a correctly. I was told by my derm to apply it as long as I can tolerate it and to try and work myself up to leaving it on overnight. Well, last night was my first night and I left it on all night with zero irritations to report. I'm thinking I'm going to apply a little more tonight and see where that leads.

As for my acne.. I'm just greatful that I have no NEW breakouts this morning. I have a few of my current ones coming to head (which is a good thing) so we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Also, I didn't sleep very well last night.. my mouth kept drying out and when I woke up I just felt real thirsty. Take note though that I drink at LEAST a gallon of water on a daily basis so it's not because I'm dehydrated ;). I'm not sure if it's the mino that' causing this.. I'll check up in after this.

I have never had any irritation from applying the retin a, so dont worry :D

ummmm...i never get a dry mouth so im not sure why that is :confused:

yeah.. I'm not so sure about the dry mouth. I might have overdone it with the mino.. I took two pills 6 hrs apart and I read later that it should be 12 hrs apart..whoops! SO I did the 12 hr thing and I feel much better.

As for the retin-A, I applied a bit more than I did last night just to see if I feel anything. I'm afraid my dosage might be too weak: .04%?? If I don't feel anything in the next couple days then I'll check with my derm.

DAY 3

my head was pounding last night and I felt really nauseous. Hopefully my body adjusts to the mino soon.

I had a few whiteheads today and, for the most part, my face isn't as red anymore. Also, I noticed a few black heads on my nose. I don't even remember the last time I had a blackhead. It could be because I'm only washing my face with soap now and no BP or any of that.

I'm also starting to feel the retin-A. My face felt a little more sensitive today and I'm starting to dry up. I'm not sure if there's a breakout phase to retin-A, but if there is I hope it happens soon just to get it out of the way.

yeah.. I'm not so sure about the dry mouth. I might have overdone it with the mino.. I took two pills 6 hrs apart and I read later that it should be 12 hrs apart..whoops! SO I did the 12 hr thing and I feel much better.

As for the retin-A, I applied a bit more than I did last night just to see if I feel anything. I'm afraid my dosage might be too weak: .04%?? If I don't feel anything in the next couple days then I'll check with my derm.

no, im on .04% itll jus take a while for u to see difference ;D

ya, i take mino when i wake up and before i go to bed

DAY 3

my head was pounding last night and I felt really nauseous. Hopefully my body adjusts to the mino soon.

I had a few whiteheads today and, for the most part, my face isn't as red anymore. Also, I noticed a few black heads on my nose. I don't even remember the last time I had a blackhead. It could be because I'm only washing my face with soap now and no BP or any of that.

I'm also starting to feel the retin-A. My face felt a little more sensitive today and I'm starting to dry up. I'm not sure if there's a breakout phase to retin-A, but if there is I hope it happens soon just to get it out of the way.

The blackheads will go within a couple days with the retin a!!

i never rilly had a breakout with the retin a, jus sum dryness.

Thanks Lebluvr for the assurance. Ifinaly did some research on retin-a last night and you're right.. IT'S NORMAL!! lol. But is it possible for everything to happen so quickly?? I hope so. I've already had about 4 initial breakouts as it is, so hopefully I'll have a similar reaction to you and not really have a breakout :).

My face now is soo sensitive.. to the touch. When i pat my face dry after I wash I have to do it real soft and slow.lol. But whatever. If this is what it takes, then I'm willing to do it.

As for the mino.. nothing new to report. I'm not feeling as sick to the stomach anymore and my headaches aren't as strong either.

I have two painful cysts: one above my lip and the other on my right cheek. Both seem to be slowly dying out as the others are just in the healing phase now. I'm still hopeful!!

Happy Holidays everyone.. 2 more days til Christmas :)!!!

Yeah, your skin might peel a little bit at first from the retin-a micro, but that's a good thing. Means your skin is shedding the old crappy skin for nice skin, it's renewing itself. You really should try the bottle water thing too if you have hard water. It looks a little goofy bringing a water bottle into the shower, but it sooo worth it. Hope you had a great christmas! :D

DAY 6

SO far so good. I'm not sure if the retin-A is strong enough though. I feel that there should be more peeling or discomfort (??). One thing's for sure, the parts of my face that aren't covered with acne looks really.. umm.. how should I put this.. healthy?? lol. I don't feel like a complete grease ball and (maybe it's just me) my pores appear much smaller now.

I had a few black-heads pop up on my nose.. nothing major. I can feel something trying to come out on my chin, but it hasn't sufaced and I don't think it will. Everything else is DEFINATELY healing. The 2 cysts on my nose have FINALLY died out. I still have a couple on my cheeks and forehead. For the most part though I have about a billion redish brown marks all over. Hopefully the retin-A will help speed up the fading process. I'm really thinking about increasing it's strength.

DAY 6

SO far so good. I'm not sure if the retin-A is strong enough though. I feel that there should be more peeling or discomfort (??). One thing's for sure, the parts of my face that aren't covered with acne looks really.. umm.. how should I put this.. healthy?? lol. I don't feel like a complete grease ball and (maybe it's just me) my pores appear much smaller now.

dont worry about the lack of the peeling and discomfort. yeah the retin a also helps the skin not covered with acne, atleast thats how it is for me. my pores are rilly small, i dunno if its b/c the mino or retin a?

I had a few black-heads pop up on my nose.. nothing major. I can feel something trying to come out on my chin, but it hasn't sufaced and I don't think it will. Everything else is DEFINATELY healing. The 2 cysts on my nose have FINALLY died out. I still have a couple on my cheeks and forehead. For the most part though I have about a billion redish brown marks all over. Hopefully the retin-A will help speed up the fading process. I'm really thinking about increasing it's strength.

When u feel sumthing comin up, put sum neosporin on it after the retin a dries. wait atleast 6 months andd see what it duz for u, before u go up on the strength.

Anyway good luck :D

yeah, thanks lebluvr. I just want it done and over with already and I'm tired of experimenting. I'll wait it out a bit to see how it goes. I have no complaints so far, I just got a little worried because I read a few posts about retin-a and peeling seems to be a major concern. Maybe my face is just too oily even for the retin-a..lol.

Well.. I woke up this morning with about 3 new whiteheads. I''m not sure if it's the mino or retin working (or both), but I know that something is definately doing its job. Prior to both I was on the verge of non-stop breakouts AGAIN.. which is what pushed me towards prescription meds. Now I only hope that it brings everything out and then STOPS anything new from forming. I'm willing to wait the 3 months to see how it goes.

I'm also getting more blackheads on the nose.. nowhere else though. I do have some peeling (nothing a little moisturizer won't rid me of) around the mouth.. and occasionally on my cheeks around the cysts or dried out zits.

okie dokes..back to watching CSI!!!

Okay.. so it's only been about a week and a half and I am already excited. I'm trying to stop myself because I have a tendency to jinx every good situation that comes my way.. BUT I AM!! lol. My face is seriously starting to clear up. I woke up with a few more whiteheads (which seems to be the norm now) but I'd take a whitehead over a cyst ANY DAY, so I'm good. Plus! the whiteheads are ready to pop as it is and are (for the most part) gone by the end of the day.

I had a bit more peeling today.. so I'm happy about that as well. The peeling really helps with my previous breakouts and hopefully cuts down the fading time for the red marks. I have a feeling that I will be getting that initial breakout out though from the retin-a by week 3. I'm not looking forward to it, but if thats what it take to get clear skin.. then bring it :)!!

YAY! The cyst on my right cheek Has FINALLY died down. I woke up with a few more whiteheads again. They pop up mostly around my mouth and chin area for some reason. Also, the cysts on my forhead seem to be taking the LONGEST to go away. Hopefully by the end of next week they'll be a little better.

Happy Holidays!!

DAY 12

more peeling and my face is starting to itch every now and then. I keep reading that week 3 is when the breakouts come, so I'm trying to prep myself for that. I have no new cysts and no whitheads this morning. The one on my cheek is almost flat and the group on my forhead finally popped and have shrunk down a bit. If everything is down by next week I'll post up with some pics. So far so good!!

minocycline was really good,I took once a day and my acne was nearly all gone after 2 month.

but when I stoped minocyline for 2weeks, acne start to come back visiting me.

but I dunt want to continue minocycline for life, as you know,it has many side effect,

so these days I turned my refimen to BP 2.5%

this BP 2.5% is alrite so far, u will be fine

just to let you know....i was put on mino for 3 months, but only got throught it for a month...*i was then put on accutane*...but you might get headaches and itchy skin...that lasted the whole month :(....but GOOD LUCK!

your have the exact same regimen as me. i'm very happy with the medication i'm on (i've been on retin-a micro forever, and just recently started taking minocycline).

be prepared for the retin-a micro initial breakout. it SUCKS, but the results are very rewarding, so stick with it. good luck!

your have the exact same regimen as me. i'm very happy with the medication i'm on (i've been on retin-a micro forever, and just recently started taking minocycline).

be prepared for the retin-a micro initial breakout. it SUCKS, but the results are very rewarding, so stick with it. good luck!

ughhhg...this is soooo weird everyones talking about the initial breakout, i never had a breakout, jus dry skin.....freaky, lol, i wonder if im speacial or sumthing!! :D

Yeah.. I'm praying for your experience Lebluvr but preppin' myself for everyone elses..hehe.

I have this huge zit (excuse me for not using the a more appropriate/technical term here) on the corner of my nose. I was expecting to wake up with just a few whitheads but it doesn't look like this one will come to a head for at least a day or two. It is very RED though.. yikes! Could this be the beginning of the dreadful initial breakout?? SO early?? I haven't even hit 2 weeks yet. My skin is just terrible. You know what though..it wouldn't look soo bad if I didn't have all these red marks..errgh!! I'm thinking that even IF this regimen doesn't get rid of ALL the acne, and all I'm let with are a few zits every now and then.. so be it. Just let me get past this phase of severe cystic acne already!!

ALMOST FORGOT..

a lot more peeling today. on my forehead, nose-bridge, chin.. and well, EVERYWHERE. I found that if you take a pair of tweezers to your face though on your down time really helps, and (in a weird kind of way) can be entertaining. Gotta make the most of it, right!?!

when u go to sleep, after the retin a, put sum neosporin cream, thatll really help!!

i rilly dunoo if ur going through the breakout, but good luck!!

yeah, never thought about the tweezers!! good idea though!! ;)