Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

Product whore turns a new trick

seems you had a hard week. glad you have acne under control. you tamed it.

I was taking advil too, just had three wisdom teeth extracted, will see doc again next monday, hope X-ray turns out to be fine.

Very clear today. I had one chin spot a couple days ago but it didn't come to much and is gone already.

No excessive peeling or dryness, even though it's been cold and windy here.

Everything seems to be working well right now. :D

NMD -- ouch! hope you are feeling better now.

Hi Queen, good to see your doing so good.

Glad you escaped the stomach flu.....sorry you had to take care of everyone.

When you used SA before what kinds of problems did you have? I want to get the Paula's choice BHA but I'm a little scared. SA and me do not agree.

When you used SA before what kinds of problems did you have? I want to get the Paula's choice BHA but I'm a little scared. SA and me do not agree.

Excessive redness, dryness, painful peeling, and lots of small, hard, painful pimples in the irritated zones.

I haven't had ANY of that with the PC BHA's. :dance:

My skin still hates travel. I wonder if it's because my sleep schedule gets so thrown off? I never get any sleep the night before I fly; I'm always frantically doing laundry, paying bills, watering plants, packing .... it's really hard to get out of town!

I had the usual problems this trip: a few small but painful pimples popped up around my nose and chin the night after my flight. This wouldn't have been so bad except that my skin also started peeling a lot in reaction to my products -- always a sure sign that I'm run down and not getting enough sleep!

So I cut back on the products, used a lot of HA, took two Aleves a day, and managed to hold things together for the big party on Saturday night. Actually, a lot of people mentioned how great I looked. :D Maybe they were just being nice .... but I did feel good.

I was peeling a little bit again when I flew back on Sunday, and then my whole face peeled like crazy today .... but it actually looks like it's pretty much back to normal now. It wasn't painful peeling, just a lot of small flakes. Anyway, I'm going to bed early tonight and taking a huge dose of fish oil .... that always helps.

My cheeks are looking a little red and bumpy the last couple days .... not sure what's going on here. Doesn't seem like pimples. It has been bitterly cold and windy out, so I'm wondering if this is some sort of irritation .... all of these active products do make my skin extremely sensitive.

And speaking of active products, I'm experimenting with going back to Green Cream twice a day, at least some days. I plan to use the lactic acid first thing in the AM and put the GC on after I rinse .... then go to the gym for a couple hours .... and after I shower, use the Triple C for the rest of the day. We'll see how this goes.

Hi -

Yeah, the cold, windy weather can do a number on your skin. I vaguely remember what it was like to have that kind of weather...

So, are you liking the effects of the lactic acid? The Derm A Gel I use has both lactic acid and vitamin A proprionate. The retinoid + gentle AHA seems like a good combo. Seems to work for me anyway!

Good luck with increasing the GC to twice a day - I still can't use the Derm A Gel twice a day without getting flaky and dry.

Try and stay warm!!!! :ninja:

Lion Queen,

You said that you have used retin- a before? Do you think that the green cream level 6 would be better for comedonal acne than my tretinoin .05% every othe day? I have been using Paula's choice 2% liquid for about a month now and added the tretinoin to it recently. It makes my skin peel like crazy!

Also good luck with the green cream 2x a day! Keep us updated!

Hi -

Yeah, the cold, windy weather can do a number on your skin. I vaguely remember what it was like to have that kind of weather...

So, are you liking the effects of the lactic acid? The Derm A Gel I use has both lactic acid and vitamin A proprionate. The retinoid + gentle AHA seems like a good combo. Seems to work for me anyway!

Good luck with increasing the GC to twice a day - I still can't use the Derm A Gel twice a day without getting flaky and dry.

Try and stay warm!!!! :ninja:

OMG, it was -12 today .... they closed the schools! brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

And yes, I love the lactic acid .... it leaves my face perfectly prepped for the day. That is, assuming I don't remove several layers of skin by accident. :rolleyes:

Lion Queen,

You said that you have used retin- a before? Do you think that the green cream level 6 would be better for comedonal acne than my tretinoin .05% every othe day? I have been using Paula's choice 2% liquid for about a month now and added the tretinoin to it recently. It makes my skin peel like crazy!

Also good luck with the green cream 2x a day! Keep us updated!

Well, it takes a little while to get used to the tretinoin. Try using it only every other night .... and if you are still peeling badly, try washing it off after 15-20 minutes instead of leaving it on.

It's stronger than GC, so if your skin can tolerate it, it's a perfectly appropriate and highly effective treatment. But if the peeling is horrible and you just can't stand it, GC or one of the other OTC retinoids is going to be a better bet for you.

The bumps on my cheeks are gone .... but I have several clogged pores on my nose and chin now. :(

I've been really inconsistent with my GC at night lately .... have been falling asleep before putting it on. I don't know if there's a connection, but I do need to get my routine back on track.

I might also up the BHAs to twice a day .... maybe I'll get some samples of the liquid to use in the AM ....

I might also up the BHAs to twice a day .... maybe I'll get some samples of the liquid to use in the AM ....

The liquid is perfect for daytime, I use it in the am occasionally. I know you don't wear makeup, but I have no issue with putting makeup over it.

Hey Queen :) just had to drop by and tell you thanks for introducing me to the BHA's. They are working great so far.

Glad your trip went good except for the minor skin problems. I'm sure if people told you that you looked great you did :D Most people just don't say anything, at least that's how I am, hahaha.

Thanks again :wub:

The liquid is perfect for daytime, I use it in the am occasionally. I know you don't wear makeup, but I have no issue with putting makeup over it.

I have been thinking about this some more. I don't have time for 2 active products in the morning .... the 30 minute wait time won't work for me.

So I have to decide ... BHAs twice a day? or GC twice a day? :think:

Bobbi -- so glad the BHAs are working for you!!!! isn't that an amazing product?

My skin is so-so right now. Most of it looks really good ..... but I have a few small spots that I just can't seem to cover up well. I think I need a paler spot cover .... my winter skin is so pale I hardly know myself .... and my regular spot cover looks too yellow all of a sudden. I don't have any more sunshine vacations planned until April, so I'd better figure this out. :D

Thinking about getting some IPL treatments for my face .... I might schedule a consultation for next week. Retinol is great for anti-aging, but it can only do so much.

Queen- LOVE IT :wub:

Just think how great it is for your skin to not see sunshine for 6 months out of the year :eh: I'm feeling you with the ghost like look....

My skin still hates travel. I wonder if it's because my sleep schedule gets so thrown off? I never get any sleep the night before I fly; I'm always frantically doing laundry, paying bills, watering plants, packing .... it's really hard to get out of town!

Hello LQ, if you use tap water to wash your face then I can pretty much guarantee that it's the change in water causing the problem.

No matter how clear my skin is, if I travel to the North of the country where the water is considerably softer, my skin will break out within a day, absolutely guaranteed, become red and sore, all my pores become enlarged, then when I return home my skin stabilizes within a few days.

I've tried and tested this a billion times, so now when I travel I use a gentle face wipe of some sort.

Those small spots I was bitching about in my last post turned out to have been my PMS breakout. My cycle shifted up by an entire week ... I wasn't even thinking about starting the Aleve yet ......

Grrrrr.

Overally, my skin is doing better now .... the weather has warmed up a little and the wind has stopped, so I'm not getting instant irritation the minute I step out the door.

I've been using GC twice a day most days (9 at night, 6 in the daytime), and am definitely peeling more than usual. I think that'll stop, though ... my skin just has to get used to the double dose again. Plus, the weather was NOT helping.

Hello LQ, if you use tap water to wash your face then I can pretty much guarantee that it's the change in water causing the problem.

I've heard that before, but that can't be what's going on in my case .... I start getting the tiny breakouts while I'm actually on the plane. They clear up within a day or two of arrival. Sometimes I break out again on the trip home, but not as much.

I really think it's the sleep factor. Or maybe I'm allergic to airports. :D

I've heard that before, but that can't be what's going on in my case .... I start getting the tiny breakouts while I'm actually on the plane. They clear up within a day or two of arrival. Sometimes I break out again on the trip home, but not as much.

I really think it's the sleep factor. Or maybe I'm allergic to airports. :D

I have the same problem with travel and breakouts. Maybe its a stress-related thing? Traveling by plane has gotten much more annoying and stressful over the last several years.

I have the same problem with travel and breakouts. Maybe its a stress-related thing? Traveling by plane has gotten much more annoying and stressful over the last several years.

Stress could certainly be a factor as well .... especially when I'm traveling with two small boys .... :wacko:

But this happens on EVERY plane trip, whether I'm alone or with the kids. I should really try getting a full night's sleep sometime before I go and see what happens.

(Ha ha ha, that is soooooooooooooo not gonna happen anytime soon.)

Mail just arrived: product bonanza! I had placed a Diana Yvonne order a week or so ago, and it was delayed due to illness in their office. I had ordered three products .... and because of the delay, they also sent me three freebies! A free box of gauze pads for applying lactic acid; a free bottle of Ultra Emu Oil, woohoo! and a mystery product that I have to go look up on their site. It is a tiny green plastic jar and comes with a tiny plastic paddle for application. No label. I wonder what it could be? :think:

Stress could certainly be a factor as well .... especially when I'm traveling with two small boys .... :wacko:

But this happens on EVERY plane trip, whether I'm alone or with the kids. I should really try getting a full night's sleep sometime before I go and see what happens.

(Ha ha ha, that is soooooooooooooo not gonna happen anytime soon.)

Mail just arrived: product bonanza! I had placed a Diana Yvonne order a week or so ago, and it was delayed due to illness in their office. I had ordered three products .... and because of the delay, they also sent me three freebies! A free box of gauze pads for applying lactic acid; a free bottle of Ultra Emu Oil, woohoo! and a mystery product that I have to go look up on their site. It is a tiny green plastic jar and comes with a tiny plastic paddle for application. No label. I wonder what it could be? :think:

Ooh, I ordered from them a little over a week ago and haven't gotten my stuff yet. I wonder if I'll get any freebies?? Hope so!!

Ooh, I ordered from them a little over a week ago and haven't gotten my stuff yet. I wonder if I'll get any freebies?? Hope so!!

I hope so, too!

Well, I think I've survived the transition back to twice-a-day retinol. I didn't do it as gradually as I should have .... I guess I was cocky, since I've been using Level 9 for so long. So I got myself a few days of the uglies. :(

I definitely had more peeling and scaling than usual .... there's still a little bit of that going on, but not much.

Also, I had a bunch of the tiny, irritation-spawned micro-zits pop up in the usual trouble spots: both sides of the chin, the nasolabial zone, and in the crease of my nose. No comedones, just little bubbles of goopy white matter under the skin. Those have almost entirely cleared up now, although I still have a few small scabs.

So things are looking good again ... and overall texture and tone are excellent.

About the same today. A few more of the mini-micro-zits appeared on my chin this AM, but disappeared during exfoliation and didn't leave marks.

There's one patch of rough dry skin on my forehead, but aside from that, my face and throat are smooth and clear ... just a few tiny marks left by my nose and chin, and they're only visible if you look really closely.

I think I'm through the worst of the transition .... :dance:

I'm having a lazy day ... my 5 year old has a fever and is lethargic and sleepy, so we're just hanging out. My husband is out of town and my 7 year old is with my mom for the day.

So for once I didn't have to rush thru my normal morning regimen .... and I thought I'd leave the lactic acid on a bit longer, until I could feel it start to sting. Normally I don't have time to leave it on for more than a couple minutes.

Well, about 15 minutes went by and it still wasn't stinging. I finally rinsed it off, just to be on the safe side (I've never had it on for more than 5 minutes), but honestly I think I could have left it on longer. Oh, and my skin looked great afterward. It was really tired and dry looking before I put the acid on (sick kids make for interrupted sleep) .... after I rinsed, I seriously looked 10 years younger.

This opens up all sorts of possibilities. If I can get to the point of this being a leave-on product, I could start layering it under the BHAs and Green Cream at night. It's the same pH as the BHAs, I think, so I wouldn't need a wait time.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm .... I think I'm going to wander over to the SkinCare board and do a little reading. :D