Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

Product whore turns a new trick

I know for some reason i'll be reluctant to leave GC, even if we find out this vivant stuff is better.

GC's been so good to me!

*sniff*

Well, I don't know that the Vivant products ARE better than Green Cream or Diacneal. They are different! So they will be better for some people, certainly, but not for all.

I spent hours this afternoon on the betterhealthyskin site AND the SkinCare board. Here's what I think I learned (and didn't learn, in some cases):

-- The Vivant products are the least irritating of the Vitamin A-based topicals. So if someone is getting a lot of irritation from Green Cream, this would be an obvious switch.

-- The Vivant line seems to be best for people who have oily skin; Exfol Forte is apparently for REALLY oily skin. The products are gels or serums. Green Cream, because it has an emollient base, is considered to be better for dryer skin.

-- I simply could not get a handle on how strong the RETINOID aspect of the Vivant products is, nor could I find any direct comparisons to Green Cream. When Vivant talks about one product being stronger than another, some of that "strength" obviously comes through adding stronger acids. I could not find any information about the percentage of Vitamin A propionate in each Vivant product, nor anything about how it compares to retinol or retinaldehyde.

-- A couple of users on the SkinCare board said that they thought GC was better for skin plumpness and anti-aging; they were using Vivant Exfol-A to fight acne, but were considering going back to GC when they had the breakouts under control.

I have some more research to do, but my inclination at the moment is to stick with Green Cream. I am not very oily anymore; in fact, I am tending more toward dryness right now. And my breakouts are pretty much under control. So I want to focus on keeping my pores clear (mandelic) and using the strongest retinoids I can for anti-aging.

Starting Monday, I am going to try a new nightly regimen: 3 nights on/1 night off with Retin A; no Diacneal. We'll see how that goes. I may be ready to ditch Diacneal; my curiosity is satisfied and I don't see that it's adding much to my routine right now. I have quite a bit left in the tube, if anyone is interested in a large free sample. :)

Interesting, and thanks for posting what you've learned! I don't think I'm willing to be a guinea pig, but I'm interested to see if anyone else on the board decides to try those products.

I may be ready to ditch Diacneal; my curiosity is satisfied and I don't see that it's adding much to my routine right now. I have quite a bit left in the tube, if anyone is interested in a large free sample. :)

I may be ready to ditch Diacneal; my curiosity is satisfied and I don't see that it's adding much to my routine right now. I have quite a bit left in the tube, if anyone is interested in a large free sample. :)

I'm actually quite interested, Queen. PM me if you're serious about ditching the Diacneal, and we can work out a shipping arrangement. :)

I think it's all yours, Caf! I'll let you know for sure at the end of this week.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Just found out from one of Fulton's papers on the betterhealthyskin site: Retin A cream contains isopropyl myristate. Quite a lot of it, apparently; it's the second ingredient listed. According to the Acne Detective database, this nasty chemical rates 5 for comedogenicity and 3 for irritancy.

WHY would they put this stuff in an acne treatment product? WHY????? I have to ask LabGirl about this ...

Now I think I need to get my hands on Retin A Micro ...

I saw your post over at the skin care board...can't wait to see the response. My question also is, "WHY would they put that in an acne treatment?? What is wrong with these people!?!? :wall::wall::wall:

A little off topic, but WOW, you're moving to Wisconsin!!!?? I've been meaning to ask you about that. What a change! Some of my closest friends here in Oceanside are from Wisconsin (and huge Packers fans!) I also have some friends still living there in Green Bay, and Madison. I hear it gets insanely cold there in the winter! I've heard some great stories about Wisconsin. We love to tease them about the accent, too :razz: With the prices of housing here in Cali, I can't even imagine what you'd be able to get there, its mind blowing! I try not to think about it...we are so house poor...

Me again :D

Forgot to ask you about the samples of the GoW Mandelic. Did you get the sampler pack? I'm not thrilled with spending $30 for a sample, when I'm only interested in the one product. I can't find any individual samples, and I'm hesitant to get a full size, since its so pricey!

*edit* Ok, I'm a dork. I found it! I ordered a sample of the 10% alcohol free. Wasn't sure about the shipping situation, though. It sounded like they charge you separately for shipping. I paid through paypal, but shipping wasn't on there. Do you remember how it worked when you ordered?

It sounded like they charge you separately for shipping. I paid through paypal, but shipping wasn't on there. Do you remember how it worked when you ordered?

Yeah ... they e-mailed me the next day to ask if I wanted 1st Class or Priority shipping. Then they sent me a separate PayPal invoice for the shipping cost.

With my latest order, I used a direct charge to my credit card and they put thru a 2nd charge for shipping. A little awkward ... no biggie, though ...

So yeah, we are moving to Wisconsin! Madison, in fact ... it's where I grew up. My parents still live there, and my husband has family nearby as well. And yes, houses are MUCH cheaper!!!!! I am excited, but sad as well ... I've been in the Bay Area for more than 20 years, and all my friends are here .... :cry:

Is AVENE DIACNEAL good or bad?

Good anti-acne/anti-aging product ... just not a strong enough retinoid for me anymore.

So I decided to take last night off from retinoids as well as today and tonight. Last night was all about moisturizers; today I used the DY Triple Vitamin C serum with emu/HA/Ti02; tonight it's CPs, emu, VitaOil and moisturizer.

Peeling and flaking has slowed down very noticeably, although I am still definitely on the dry side. Pores still look good, but I WANT MY MANDELIC SERUM! Healing is going extremely well ... most of the scabs flaked off today, so I am looking very very clear right now. Hoping for a WOW day tomorrow ...

I was out and about all day today -- we took the kids to a theme park, so I was walking around outside from roughly 10-6, sans hat, and did not get sunburned at all. I'm sure it helped that it was overcast a lot of the day ... still, I feel a lot better about the TiO2 sunscreen. I think it's going to be just fine for most days, and I'll just have to use something more heavy-duty for more intense conditions (beach, skiing, etc.)

I found a source for Retin A Micro gel, but it will be very expensive ($139/tube, as opposed to about $30 for the Retin A cream). I am just so pissed off about the isopropyl myristate in the cream, I can hardly stand it ... it is such a struggle keeping my pores clear without the damn acne medication working against me as well!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .... :evil:

YES!!!! it's definitely a WOW day, and a low-maintenance one at that ... no peeling or flaking after I cleansed, so no jessfoliation or enzyme peel ... just GC-9 and a little HA/emu ...

I love my Green Cream glow!

LabGirl posted a really good answer to my isopropyl myristate question ... it's in the Prescription forum if anyone is interested.

If I were using the Retin A cream to battle active acne, I'd stick with it without a second thought after reading her post. Clearly in that case, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. But for me ... since I'm primarily using it for anti-aging, and I'm very sensitive to this whole issue of clogged pores ... I think I'm going to make the switch to Retin A Micro gel. Nobody tell my husband ...

I have an untouched tube of this stuff plus one that's still more than half-full ... anyone want it?

Queen, I'm excited for you that you're having a WOW day! :D

I've noticed you are having more and more near WOW days, and your actual WOW days are increasing! Good news for us! Man, it is so hard to be patient.

I don't think I'd use that Retin-A either. If I ever get to that point in strength, I'd go for the Retin-A micro. At this point in time, I think I'm looking at using retinoids indefinitely.

hey lionqueen,

i've just started using the clear emu oil from DY. did you notice any clogged pores or bumpiness with this stuff? i'm applying a blob of HA with 2-3 drops of emu oil, but it seems after every night of wearing it, i wake up to new bumps... and i'm on accutane, so otherwise i'm completely smooth skinned (but still with crappy texture and coloring).

any advice would be most appreciated.

thanks!

air

YES!!!! it's definitely a WOW day, and a low-maintenance one at that ... no peeling or flaking after I cleansed, so no jessfoliation or enzyme peel ... just GC-9 and a little HA/emu ...

I love my Green Cream glow!

LabGirl posted a really good answer to my isopropyl myristate question ... it's in the Prescription forum if anyone is interested.

If I were using the Retin A cream to battle active acne, I'd stick with it without a second thought after reading her post. Clearly in that case, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. But for me ... since I'm primarily using it for anti-aging, and I'm very sensitive to this whole issue of clogged pores ... I think I'm going to make the switch to Retin A Micro gel. Nobody tell my husband ...

I have an untouched tube of this stuff plus one that's still more than half-full ... anyone want it?

Eh heh, I DO!!!!

My skin if horror right now, and any bit helps. If you Retin-A Micro to be more effective, and have no use for your regular Retin-A, then I'd be more than happy to take your Retin-A. :D

Queen, I'm excited for you that you're having a WOW day! :D

I've noticed you are having more and more near WOW days, and your actual WOW days are increasing! Good news for us! Man, it is so hard to be patient.

I don't think I'd use that Retin-A either. If I ever get to that point in strength, I'd go for the Retin-A micro. At this point in time, I think I'm looking at using retinoids indefinitely.

Thanks, sweetie! I am excited too. I think I would have had a lot more WOW days in the past couple of weeks had it not been for all the tinkering around with the mandelic ... now that I have that more or less figured out, I am hoping for smooth sailing for awhile.

I have Retin A Micro Gel on the way ... and my GoW mandelic serums arrived today!!!!! :)

i've just started using the clear emu oil from DY. did you notice any clogged pores or bumpiness with this stuff? i'm applying a blob of HA with 2-3 drops of emu oil, but it seems after every night of wearing it, i wake up to new bumps... and i'm on accutane, so otherwise i'm completely smooth skinned (but still with crappy texture and coloring).

Gosh ... that surprises me. I have never heard of anyone having a reaction like that to emu or HA, but of course it's possible you could have some sort of sensitivity.

Pam, have you run across anything like this in your research?

I would try cutting out the emu and just use HA for a few nights ... see what happens. Or vice versa.

You might also try posting over on the DY SkinCare board and see what Deb has to say ... she is far more knowledgeable about those products than I am.

Eh heh, I DO!!!!

My skin if horror right now, and any bit helps. If you Retin-A Micro to be more effective, and have no use for your regular Retin-A, then I'd be more than happy to take your Retin-A. :D

OK Xero, PM me with your name and address and I'll ship it off to you after my RAM gel arrives.

That's an interesting point about the Retin-A. I think I'm going to post a link to her response in my log, since it's very well-stated.

Also, congrats on having a WOW day, Queen! Those are just great, aren't they?

Queen, wow I missed out on a lot of stuff here lately. I will have to reread all your posts because there is ton of good info.

Ok you better PM me about your Retin A mico source. I will probably continue with the cream for a while but I definetly want to switch at some time.

I am going to order some madelic acid today. Pam and you are both using it, I can't be left behind. :shifty:

Oh and you rock getting us our own forum!!!!

Queen, I just read in Caffeine's log your going to be in Ennis on your way to Madison. You will be about 45 minutes away from me my dear.

Also, congrats on having a WOW day, Queen! Those are just great, aren't they?

Thanks, Caf! I'm having another one today .... better, if possible. :) :) :)

I hope you are feeling better, my dear!

Queen, wow I missed out on a lot of stuff here lately. I will have to reread all your posts because there is ton of good info.

Ok you better PM me about your Retin A mico source. I will probably continue with the cream for a while but I definetly want to switch at some time.

I am going to order some madelic acid today. Pam and you are both using it, I can't be left behind. :shifty:

Oh and you rock getting us our own forum!!!!

See, that's what happens when you take the weekends off. OK, I will send you a PM. Hope you love the mandelic as much as I do ... but watch out for dryness ...

The new forum is nice, isn't it? I like being able to find everyone.

Queen, I just read in Caffeine's log your going to be in Ennis on your way to Madison. You will be about 45 minutes away from me my dear.

I will drive around looking for a cute strawberry blonde with a monster dog and crystal clear skin. You have until July, should be no problem. :)

Queen- what do you think of Vivant mandelic acid? Would I better off ordering from GoW? Should I be guinea pig for the Vivant stuff? Hmmmm decisions. I'm interested in some of their stuff. I wish I hadn't spent so much $$ on face stuff this month. I'm feeling a little guilty about buying more crap. They are pretty proud of the stuff, even the samples are pricey.

Goal: crystal clear skin by July.

Look for pretty lady with smooth clear skin and two wild kids driving around looking for me and my monster dog. :D

Queen- what do you think of Vivant mandelic acid? Would I better off ordering from GoW? Should I be guinea pig for the Vivant stuff? Hmmmm decisions. I'm interested in some of their stuff. I wish I hadn't spent so much $$ on face stuff this month. I'm feeling a little guilty about buying more crap. They are pretty proud of the stuff, even the samples are pricey.

The Vivant mandelic is the one I tried first ... I got a sample from Diana Yvonne. It is extremely strong and pretty much fried my face to a crisp. I could see that it was tightening pores and getting rid of blackheads ... but that wasn't doing me much good, considering that my face was one big scab. That is overstating the situation slightly, but only slightly.

Your skin sounds oilier than mine, so you might have a different experience ... but you would have to be REALLY careful about using it with Retin A and GC. Maybe only use mandelic on alternate days with retinoids, unless you were feeling cocky ....

The GoW serums, by contrast, are extremely easy to use. The Vivant is alcohol-based, so it's a thin liquid and stings/burns when it goes on; the GoW serums are thicker and more syrupy, like hyaluronic acid. The only irritation I have experienced with them was when I put some on over a raw patch of skin that had just peeled, and I got the burned effect there and had to wait a few days for it all to heal and peel.

For the past week or so, I have been using the 10% serum under Green Cream in the morning and under Retin A at night with no problems (I wait 30 minutes between mandelic and retinoid). Sometimes I take a post-workout shower in the middle of the day as well, and after that I just use the 15% serum by itself. Unlike the Vivant, which made my face very tight and stretched and shiny, these leave a nice finish; my skin looks tighter, but velvety smooth.

Basically, the GoW serums have to be used with some caution; the Vivant has to be used with EXTREME caution. Don't say I didn't warn you. :)

Wow, it seems like everyone is jumping on the mandelic bandwagon. I may have to join you guys. I think I'll be ordering a bunch of samples (mandelic and some CPs) soon ...I'm actually itching to try them immediately, but will be buying new school texts/new apartment things in the next month, so I'm trying to be patient. I guess I'll just let you guys forge ahead without me, that way you'll be able to give me all sorts of good advice when I can finally try it. :D

I didn' realize it was the first one you tried, I won't be purchasing that then. Since my skin is now oily/flaky/dry depending on the day. Don't want to encourage any more dryness. Thank you so much Queen for your always thorough answers. :D