Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mz_minnie

My rather boring but effective (for me, anyway) regimen

My skin is mostly clear, so I'm starting this journal because it might help someone who has a similar skintype as me. I'm also going to try a few new things and I thought this would be a good place to record my progress for my own reference, as well as for anyone else who is interested.

About me and my skin:

I am a 22 year old female. I have a very light complexion. Don't scar easily, but marks take forever to fade. Had moderate/severe acne between ages 13 - 18. Started birth control at 18, acne improved significantly. Started the regimen at age 20, still had a few stubborn zits. Have been "perfecting" the regimen since then, skin getting better and better.

Current skin issues: skin is a teensy bit too dry, overall reddish tint to skin.

CURRENT REGIMEN (7-15-03)

Mornings

Wash face with plain soap in shower.

Exfoliate with an Oil of Olay daily facial cloth.

Apply Clinique toner #3 to wipe off soap residue

Apply Benzac AC 5% benzoyl peroxide

Apply Coppertone Faces sunscreen

Evenings

Wash face with liquid handsoap

Apply Clinique toner #3

Apply Benzac AC 5%

Sleep with hair pulled back from face

NEW THINGS I'M TRYING

1. One drop of tea tree oil mixed in with my bp at night. Seems to improve dryness and overall "healthfullness" of skin. No new pimples since I've been using it, so perhaps it has a hand in that as well.

2. Tape method in the morning. Helps remove flakyness. Skin looks better at least temporarily. Doesn't irritate skin. I'm not sure if it's had an effect on removing my redmarks from old pimples, though.

THINGS I'VE TRIED THAT HAVEN'T WORKED

Moisturizer - makes me break out, even the expensive stuff, even the "non-comedogenic" stuff. I use it occassionally if my skin gets VERY dry, but I pay a price for it the next day.

Foundation - used to be addicted to it, but it makes things much worse. Just mascara and lipgloss for me, thankyouverymuch.

Salicylic Acid ointments - seems to dry out my skin w/o healing the pimples much. However, I am thinking of applying it as a mask over my nose to see if it reduced the appearance of blackheads.

Facial scrubs that come in a tube - scratch my skin up w/o exfoliating totally. Seem to leave raw spots and dry, flaky spots at the same time. I also have a tendency to be a bit too enthusiastic with exfoliators, so the facial cloths I use now allow me to scrub my face to my little heart's content without doing any damage to my skin.

That hebal pill that has the man or woman's face on the front (I think it's called Nature's Cure) - simply doesn't work.

Vitamin b-12 taken orally - made a minimal improvement, if any.

ur dryness might be due to the soap you are washing your face with. Soap can very harsh and drynig. Why not try something real gentle such as cetaphil?

I don't think the soap has anything to do with it, because it's only on my face for about 30 seconds. I believe that a lot of people's skin dries out (or breaks out) because of the residue their soap leaves behind. Before I began using the toner, the kind of cleanser I used was a HUGE issue, but I can use pretty much anything nowadays. I think the dryness has more to do with the frequency of my product use, but it's the price I pay to have clear skin.

Thanks for the advice, though.

By the way, I heard that Cetaphil is majorly drying to the skin. :^o [-X

minnie, come ON girl, hand soap on ur FACE?? that stuff must be majorly drying .. you're routine sounds more like something to dry your skin to oblivion rather than curing your acne.. you use too many products and do too many things in my opinion.. i think you should go with something a lot simpler.. you dont NEED to wash ur face and then use the olay cloth, ur just wasting money hun.. but hey if u like it then have a blast

Well, according to an article I read about a year ago by a dermatologist (who uses handsoap on her own face), you don't need to worry about what kind of soap you use, as long as it's not leaving any residue behind. It's the residue that dries out your face, and it can allow bacteria to breed in it as well. According to this article, since soap is only on your face for about 30 seconds, you should not waste your money investing in expensive cleaners. I choose to invest the money in toner instead, which takes care of the residue and makes my skin look nice and smooth. I used expensive cleansers for YEARS before switching to this method, and it has made a big difference for me.

I don't think the facial cloths do a good job of really getting rid of the oil and dirt - they mostly exfoliate, which is why I use soap in addition.

And as for not curing my acne, all the acne on my face has pretty much disappeared because of my method, thankyouverymuch. I find that dry skin is much easier to control and deal with than pimples. And if you read my next post, you'll see that I've found a way to get rid of the dryness as well.

7/22/03

Damn! My skin looks great! I'm celebrating because my skin is looking so lovely lately, better than it has in years. If you've read my first log entry, you know that I've gotten a handle on the ance, but have been suffering from dry skin. Well, I seem to have found a way to moisturize that doesn't make me break out. I'm convinced that the tea tree oil mixed w/ bp oinment at night is the ticket. I think that twice a day would be too much (plus it would smell strong durring the day). I've also had a problem with "flushed" skin from the bz, and that's gone as well.

The bad news is that the backs of my shoulders have gotten about five icky pimples (I think it's from wearing a backpack and sweating where the straps are). I'm applying a thick paste of bp to the spots. Is it just me, or is back acne more persistent? If anyone knows how to handle this area, I would welcome your input.

I've found something that I think is working on my back acne. I take a few asprin, grind them up on the counter with the back of a spoon, add a few drops of water to make a paste, then rub it on my back before I go to bed. Not only are my pimples reducing quickly, the redmarks from previous pimples seem to be fading as well. Yay! :(/

I've switched down to the Clinique #2 toner, and I like it much better. My skin is not nearly as dry as it was before. I only intermittently use the tea tree oil on my face, because I don't need it so much with the new toner. Bacne is gone - I've stopped wearing my backpack alltogether.

I've recently gotten back into wearing foundation-like makeup. I tried the Burt's Bees tinted moisturizer, which I really liked at first but made me break out SEVERELY after several days. I'm now mixing in some Clinique foundation in with my sunscreen, which is nice. The coverage is very minimal, but it evens out my skintone a little (not so much of an issue lately) and I think it helps control any shinyness the sunscreen leaves.

Skin is doing good overall, but I have two small whiteheads on my chin. I'm slathering them with bp, and it seems like they're going to clear up in a day or two (hopefully). I'm wondering what caused them.

i have like 5 pimples on my back small ones but i was wondering does the asprin thing really work?