Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
30something2

I'm having restylane or collagen next thurs

I've decided I'm fed up with the indents and scars on my cheeks and even if I get a temporary improvement it will do wonders for my confidence. so I've got an appt next thurs. Theu lady seems very experienced so feel quite sure she won't over fill etc.

The only question is collagen or restylane.. I feel funny about collagen cause of the whole animal thing.. I had a test patch done to see if I reacted about 2 months ago. it was a bit itchy for a while behind my ear and on my arm where the two tets spots were done. I'm worried about reacting to the collagen and with all the talk about mad cow disease!!!

Anyway the lady I'm going to see says collagen has been used for 30 yrs and restylane for 10. She says Collagen is particularly good for treating softer, lesser depressions because the thinner of the collagen products allows for more accurate filling and is very forgiving of over-filling. Restylane generally lasts longer because it is quite hard and therefore can feel quite lumpy.

What do you think?

I tried to search for restylane topics already covered on the board but you have to read for hrs before you get the info you want.. so sorry if this has alreayd been covered.

I've tried both, and found they both are not that great. Restylane does feel hard and lumpy at first and collagen is much smoother and more natural looking. The reason I didn't like either is because they don't last.

Even the restylane didn't last more than 3 months for me. They were both around 2-3 months tops. Hope this helps.

I've had restylane to fill lines on my lower face. It did work really well and lasted a long time -- nearly a year -- but ohmygod it HURT! Especially around my upper lip! The nurses only had me use a numbing cream beforehand and that was totally ineffective. The doctor finally injected my lip with an anesthetic (which also hurt!) and that was better ... but I came out of there looking like I'd been punched in the face several times. Bruised lip, swollen lower face, bruises and redmarks where I'd been injected. After I healed I liked the effects, but have not been able to summon the courage to repeat the process ... I just use lip plumpers now, much cheaper and less painful, and I live with the nasolabial lines.

Anyway, I realize you are getting scars filled and that will probably be a whole lot less painful. All I can say is, if it does hurt like hell, make the doctor _stop_ and give you a nerve block and maybe a nice Valium. And bring some makeup to the office.

Hope it goes well, please let us know ...

Q

I get restalayne done. like it so far. every 5 months or so I use about $150 worth. figure its the price of a haircut each month...

plus, supposedly, it breaks up scar tissue each time you inject (sort of like subcision)

I've had restylane to fill lines on my lower face. It did work really well and lasted a long time -- nearly a year -- but ohmygod it HURT! Especially around my upper lip! The nurses only had me use a numbing cream beforehand and that was totally ineffective. The doctor finally injected my lip with an anesthetic (which also hurt!) and that was better ... but I came out of there looking like I'd been punched in the face several times. Bruised lip, swollen lower face, bruises and redmarks where I'd been injected. After I healed I liked the effects, but have not been able to summon the courage to repeat the process ... I just use lip plumpers now, much cheaper and less painful, and I live with the nasolabial lines.

Anyway, I realize you are getting scars filled and that will probably be a whole lot less painful. All I can say is, if it does hurt like hell, make the doctor _stop_ and give you a nerve block and maybe a nice Valium. And bring some makeup to the office.

Hope it goes well, please let us know ...

Q