Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Animal

Differin, is it any good?

I have been on the regime for almost 2 weeks now and have just had another outbreak. I'm getting sick of it now. :)

I was wondering has anyone here used differin cream and how effective was it. I was prescribed a big tube by my derm but thought i would try the regime first. [-o<

Any advice would be much appreciated!

hey animal.

i was on differen for a while and it seemed to work quite well although didnt get rid of my acne completly. that was also while i used to be on antio biotics but differen was definatly sooo much better than retin A anyway.

a couple of months ago i decided to try the regimen. it was awful for it was red.. itchy.. in the day and night it felt like my pimples were stinging/throbbing and i couldnt hack waiting half an hour btw all the stages.

now im on accutane- even tho my acne isnt cysitc or really severe, i managed to get on it. its been 10 days now, and my skin has improved sooo much.. its nearly clear apart from a few red marks. but i guess i havent experienced the intial outbreak yet 8-[ I PRAY its not too bad! [-o<

back to your question- differen worked far more better for me than the regimen. but i guess everyones different.. has different skin types etc etc

good luck! kimmi

I currently use Differin gel, and swear by it. However, I feel that it is only one part of a successful acne treatment regimen. The key for me has been to keep my pores open and functioning normally. I accomplish this by using Differin at night, and washing my face with Carley's Smooth & Clear up to two times daily. Carley's contains an exfoliant consisting of crushed walnut shell powder, and antibacterial properties from the 2% benzoyl peroxide. You also need to address the acne bacteria through the use of topical and oral antibiotics. I do this by applying clindamycin phosphate gel during the day, and taking Keflex oral antibiotics twice daily. I tried several antibiotics before discovering that Keflex worked the best for me. It might not be the best for you. I am seeing my derm next week. I am going to ask him about glycolic acid products for daytime use. I've used them before with great results. Keeping your pores functioning normal is half the battle, so Differin is a good start. BTW, I tried Retin-A Micro, which is also a retinoid. It was much too harsh on my face. This is how I switched to Differin in the first place.

Hey me and my twin brother have been on the regimen for two weeks and have noticed good restults (it took two full weeks to get over the peeling and redness) anyhow, now we decided to take the differin at night ( i figure they didn't make it if it weren't good for anything) and I think it's really helping. Just remember to wash off thoroughly in the morning and apply the BP and later moisturizer (try the eucerin renewal or the eucerin daily control and care moisturizer). And we take 2, 100 mg minocylcines a day. Well I hope that helps

njjacobs.....do you really sensitive skin?

Cause i do, and i am on retin a right now. for about a week my face was real dry and was peeling like a sunburn....but now it has adjusted to it and i am doing ok.

I have been on differin for two weeks now...but I also use plexion TS at night and take minocycline twice a day. The differin is OK, it goes on easy, absorbs fast, and has no odor, it's much more conveniant and effective than retin-A.

My skin is peeling like crazy though. I have also gotten the new pimples the information with the drugs warned about(hidden pimples coming out)

I will continue treatment, overall, the "groups" of zits have broken up, thankfully, so the occasional new zit is fine.

njjacobs.....do you really sensitive skin?

Cause i do, and i am on retin a right now. for about a week my face was real dry and was peeling like a sunburn....but now it has adjusted to it and i am doing ok.

Yes, I tend to have sensitive skin. I tried Retin-A Micro for several months before throwing in the towel. I even took a few days off between applications to see if it would help my face adjust - no luck. I have had no problems with Differin.

I have been on differin for two weeks now...but I also use plexion TS at night and take minocycline twice a day. The differin is OK, it goes on easy, absorbs fast, and has no odor, it's much more conveniant and effective than retin-A. My skin is peeling like crazy though.

What is Plexion?(too lazy to look it up) I know that peeling can be a side effect of Differin, but I don't think that you should be experiencing "peeling like crazy." Perhaps the use of other meds at night with the Differin is too much for your skin. I use Differin by itself at night with great success.

Hmmm, i'm gonna try the regime for a bit longer, i've just finished my second week. If it has no effect by week 3-4 then i'm gonna go on the differin.

THX FOR THE ADVICE EVERYBODY!

Im on Differin at the moment. Not much different yet but there is still hope. I started to use the gel on the same day i started using XIAN. Today and yesterday i had quaite a big breakout, which i think is the intial breakout. So hopefully improvments only from here.

I only use differin by itself at night.

Plexion is some kind of sulphur, kills zits like crazy, I apply that in the morning.

yah, try to stay on the regimen like you have been for at least a few weeks more. i think we all expect to see immediate results and when we dont..we assume it doesnt work for us and we stop using it.

Like when i started retin-a- micro, I already have senstive skin so when i started to break out real bad in the second week i thought maybe my skin is just so sensitive and the retain a is just drying it out even more and irritatiing it causing all the pimples. But i stuck wiith it and my face has gotteb better. Now today, im still only in my 3rd week, my right side has seemed to get a little worse again and a few more pimples are popping up. But im not gonna stop.

Ive stopped and quit too many things too many times because i dont hink they are working. I...and many people here need to exhibit more self control and let the medications have a chance to work for us.

Kinda like playing the major leagues. When your a rookie and your first start playing MLB, you suck...plain and simple. The pitches are soo much faster...the players are soo much better...and you just arent up to their standards. But if you just throw in the towel then you would never know if maybe one day you could have become as good as them. You have to continue trying and practicing EVEN though it may seems to YOU that you are making no progress....but then that one day when you step up to the plate and hit that home run....everything changes.....your attitude...everything...and you are glad you stuck with it.

Differin has never worked for me. Then again, nothing really has! But I've heard only good things about it. One thing that did work somewhat was Clindagel, which is (obviously) a gel stuff. But it's made by the same people and I think it's just supposed to be a stronger version of the Differin. So I would suggest Clindagel instead, but that's just me.