Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eff acne

Acne has destroyed my life

Hello guys, i came to this forum to get help. i hope i put this in the right section. but im 18 years old and never had a problem with acne till 4 monthes ago.

this is my face before the acne destroyed my skin

IPB Image

it hit me from nowhere. and all of a sudden my face started to become really red and i started breaking out like crazy

here is the latest picture:

IPB Image

This has really destroyed me. i don't feel confident anymore, ive been kind of anti-social. I've gone to a dermatologist and she prescribed me duac topical gel (clindamycin, 1%-benzoyl, 5%) for a day cream and RETIN-A micro as a night gel. this stuff cleared my skin about 2 years ago when i had just a few normal zits so she figured this stuff should do the trick. well it seems like my acne hasnt improved at all. my skin is really dry and flakey. here is my normal daily wash routeen:

Afternoon:

1: wash face with NUTROGENA oil free acne wash

2: apply duac tropical gel

Night:

2: apply retin-a

Moisterizer:

my dermatologist told me to use an oil free moisterizer, so i use a CLEAN & Clear lotion taht has salayscic acid in it to help fight pimples.

Due to dryness ive tried several different techiniques. ive tried not washing my face with nutrogena but my face still gets a little dry. I've also tried BASIS soap and that dried my skin as well. i've also tried using the pro-activ solution 3 step formula and that didn't help either. i need advice, please help.

if the topical creams dont help you clear up, then your best option is accutane. ask your dermatologist about it, good luck

peace

:think: more than anything, your skin looks extremely dry. Read up on the clear skin regimen. Maybe it's something you'd like to look into? My acne was moderate, on some days more on the severe side. I had papules, nodules, pustules, blackheads, whiteheads, red marks...what didn't I have? After about 5 months of strict regimen adherence, I cleared up :pray: I've been on the clear skin regimen for over 2 years now. The only time I breakout is when I get lazy about it and slack off :doh:

But you have to stick with the regimen, religiously. And not add anything else to it. Read about it, and watch the videos Dan has, so you know how to do it. It may be worth a shot! :angel:

Also, with your already very dry skin, if you do decide to go on the regimen I would recommend you use Cetaphil cleanser. It's very gentle and leaves your skin soft, especially if you use it like it says on the bottle, with no water. :)

Start off with a small amount of 2.5% BP...and always moisturize!

There's other sections of the board if you want to look around. Everyone is usually really helpful. Good luck!

well i have a dermatologist appointment tomorrow. should i print out the Steps giving in the Regime? but also take accutane with these steps?

sure, you can discuss the clear skin regimen with your MD. But also discuss accutane, and any other options. Just to get his/her professional opinion.

I've never been on accutane, so I can't say much about it either way. :think:

Let us know how it goes! we're here if you need anything. :)

okay thanks :) but can dan or someone post the right products to get please, for my condition? i don't want to get the wrong stuff.

I'm not an expert, but your acne looks like it just came out of nowhere, and you defintitely seem like a candidate for accutane. I'd really try to find out if that's a good option for you. The Regimen can take a few months to work, and it will probably get worse before it gets better.

If that first pic was your skin 4 months ago, and the other pic is your skin now, then you should definitely try to either get on Accutane, or get on the Regimen. But *don't* let your dermatologist talk you into trying anything else, like Benzamycin, Clindamycin, oral antibiotics, Retin A....etc. Will most likely just irritate your skin and not work. I don't think any of those prescription meds are worthwile nowadays. You're 18? You're probably immune to most of them anyways. The derms like to prescribe these long lists of things for you to try and keep you coming back, but I can assure u that they I rarely hear of them curing anyone's acne. I'd ask for Accutane- about getting tested to see if it's appropriate for you.

It may look bad now, but don't worry-one way or another, I'm sure you will have your clear skin again within just a few months. I'm positive you won't find it through prescription derm meds though. Let us know how the derm appointment goes. Also, you do *not* want to be on the Regimen if you're taking Accutane. It's either one or the other at once. On accutane, your skin is going to be going thru some major changes, and you won't want to dry it out further. Report back to us how the apointment goes tomorrow, and they you'll be in a better position to decide what to do from there. :)

One of the only things my dermatologist prescribed me that actually helped was cetaphil antibacterial soap in the bar form. Its for sensitive skin and really doesnt dry my skin out. It lathers up nice so i can shave with it too. I use that, clear skin regimen bp, and cetaphil facial moisturizer. This is a good combo in my opinion but i guess everyone is different. Just giving you some ideas.

Thanks for that advice jessica. i remember my last appointment with the derma and she said that if these topical medicines do not work, she was going to try pills. im not sure if accutane is what she said but i will definatly discuss it with her. when you say my face is going to go through some serious changes, do you mean its just going to clear up? or what? also i've always wanted to have a beard going lol, is it possible my acne is just the process of hairs growing? will accutane stop the hair growing process?

in the meantime, i would like to ask about picking at zits. i always squeeze them till the greenish white stuff comes out. i know you arent supposed to pick at them but you kind of have to so they dont look as gross. any advice on how to pick? etc

Hi, I have struggled with cystic acne for over 15 years. Fortunately, yours is not as bad as mine was. I took the Accutane treatmen which worked really well ONLY while I was on it. After the regimine of Accutane was over, I started breaking out allover again within the next 4 months. See my new post titled: MY ACNE MIRACLE!! This will help put a stop to the darn zits. Believe me, I know how you feel.

-D

Hey man,

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunes...to be honest, Accutane didn't work for me at all. It made me WORSE while i was on it. After i stopped the Accu-fuck (pardon my french) regimen, i did the BP and moisturizer. Been on it 5 months, 2 months hard core, and it's really cleared me up (no jinx please). just try it out, give it some time, as long as this new stuff treats ya well. good luck bro, im with ya

very nice, but i have so many options now. you said your acne was like mine and you went on accutane and it worked? i dont really have oily skin, only my nose gets really oily. so maybe i should stick with that decision tomorrow when i get it, then try yours. i don't know, decisions decisions!

Hello guys, i came to this forum to get help. i hope i put this in the right section. but im 18 years old and never had a problem with acne till 4 monthes ago.

this is my face before the acne destroyed my skin

IPB Image

it hit me from nowhere. and all of a sudden my face started to become really red and i started breaking out like crazy

here is the latest picture:

IPB Image

This has really destroyed me. i don't feel confident anymore, ive been kind of anti-social. I've gone to a dermatologist and she prescribed me duac topical gel (clindamycin, 1%-benzoyl, 5%) for a day cream and RETIN-A micro as a night gel. this stuff cleared my skin about 2 years ago when i had just a few normal zits so she figured this stuff should do the trick. well it seems like my acne hasnt improved at all. my skin is really dry and flakey. here is my normal daily wash routeen:

Afternoon:

Night:

Moisterizer:

my dermatologist told me to use an oil free moisterizer, so i use a CLEAN & Clear lotion taht has salayscic acid in it to help fight pimples.

Due to dryness ive tried several different techiniques. ive tried not washing my face with nutrogena but my face still gets a little dry. I've also tried BASIS soap and that dried my skin as well. i've also tried using the pro-activ solution 3 step formula and that didn't help either. i need advice, please help.

For face wash I'd rec. something that's gentle and soap-free. I like johnson & johnson's head to toe baby wash or alpha hydrox's face wash. They are both soap-free, non-medicated, and very gentle. I think that most face washes, especially those for acne dry out skin so much and that results in more pimples. If you want to spend some money you should try sage skincares sensitive skin acne care pack (www.zerozits.com). Other than that, try not to put too much stuff on your face. Ice it every morning and every night. And use homemade masks out of apple, honey, tomato (these all make good masks on their own, and help heal pimples).

But *don't* let your dermatologist talk you into trying anything else, like Benzamycin, Clindamycin, oral antibiotics, Retin A....etc.

well i just got back from the dermatologist. she prescribed me 3 new medicines. 2 creams and a oral antibiotic:

1: day cream - Clindamycin phosphate 1% lotion

2: night cream - Differein (adapalene)

3 - Pill - Minocycline

we talked about accutane and she said we will resort to that if this doesnt work. i was pretty pissed when she told me that i would have to do a lot of testing. i said well i have time for it so lets do it. she replied, next time if these dont work. now what should i wash my face with daily?

!!

Afternoon:

Night:

Moisterizer:

throw all of that crap in the garbage and get on accutane immediately. you can prevent scarring by going on accutane.

dont make the fatal mistake of so many of us and use so many shitty products that dont work and then end up with permanent scarring. you can still save your skin. get on accutane immediatly

eff acne, the same thing sort of happened to me, i got severe acne when i was 17-18 out of the blue. I lived with it for a year hoping it would stop but it hadnt so now I just turned 20 in October and thought i need accutane and ive been on it for 6 weeks. Nothing drastic has happened yet, but this stuff is meant to be proven quality. By the way I was on Minocycline for abt 6-7 months and it did f' all mate. Hope it works for you though, if not accutane is probably your best option.

I don't know. Why not try the other stuff first. It probably won't make a difference, but if it does you are certainly saving your body alot of damage. I wish I could have cleared up without accutane, and if my acne comes back I think I am just going to deal with it. No second course for me. That stuff is quite literally poison.

If the topicals and anitbiotics don't work though, Accutane probably would be the way to go for you. It does work wonders.

what do you mean enigmatic by saying it f' all mate? i will give these medicines a chance, for about a week or 2. in the meantime before going on accutane, what face wash should i use?

ah, well i guess ill see. but i just took the Minocycline pill 5 minutes ago and now my stomach is getting upset and my head is starting to hurt. is this normal?