Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
betty cherry

Betty's Accutane Log with Photos

I drove over to the hospital today and after a lot of walking around getting lost in the hospital, picked up my prescription for the roaccutane and then picked up the pills from the hospital pharmacy. I am on 30mg per day, which from what I have seen of other people, is a really low dose. But they give it you in a really complicated way! Or, me at least. Instead of giving you 30mg tablets, I have to take one 20mg tablet and two 5mg tablets once a day. I am so going to forget that! I am definitely going to buy a granny pill pack now.

So, I just swallowed my first set of pills! They weren't too massive and are the soft gel type capsules, so are pretty easy to swallow. I got the real Roaccutane, not the generic stuff and the prescription cost the same as any other - six pounds fifty. I am actually really excited now about being on the tane. Just hope I see some results soon.

In other news, still feeling pretty sick from the Dianette (the contraceptive pill they put me on) but the implant is coming out day after tomorrow (implanon contraceptive implant that may have caused my skin to wrosen) so fingers crossed I will see some improvement. Will post some new pictures a week from now, or before then if I see any changes in my skin or have anything to report. In the meantime, here is my skin as it is right now. If you want to see a more complete log of my journey so far, go to http://bettiesroaccutanejournal.blogspot.com/

face3.jpg

face4.jpg

I guess I should do a history, as everyone else seems to have done that apart from me!

I am a 25 year old female and I have always had acne, which has kind of got better and worse over the years and is now worse than ever. It started to affect my confidence when I couldn't hide it with make up any more - and I am pretty good at that after 10 years of experience! I think it is down to all the crazy contraceptives I have tried, including contraceptive patches that you stick on your ass, injections that you have in your ass that last 3 months and most recently, an implant in my arm that lasts 3 years. Since I had that implant, my skin has got really bad, being itchy a lot, having cysts on my cheeks and jawliine and being quite painful a lot of the time.

I started to notice my personality change, too. I didn't like to get close to people, in case they were grossed out by my face and eventually, I stopped wanting to go out at all, because every time I looked in the mirror, I saw someone I considered ugly. I guess I am still at that stage now, but feeling much more positive cos I just started Roaccutane and I have seen amazing results with other people. I am a freelance Graphic Designer and work from home, so I can just hide in my house til it all goes away!

Well, that's me. Hope you find my log helpful.

BettyCherry xxx

Call me crazy, but...

It's very possible that I am imagining some of these things simply because I am hyper aware of my skin and my body in general at the moment, but there seems to be some change already, after my first dose of Roaccutane. When I was sitting watching TV last night, my skin felt drier than usual and (I apologise if this grosses you out) I had this whitehead that has been there forever and I have tried to get rid of it for so long, but it was kind of solid and wasn't cooperating. But when I went to the bathroom, I noticed it had come to a kind of head and I squeezed it (yes, I know...very bad) and now, it's gone! I was amazed. It seemed to happen with quite a few of my other spots too. They seemed to have been pushed out a bit. There were also some blackheads on my chin that had come right up to the surface that I could just gently scratch off.

Also, my skin already seems much more sensitive. I use tea tree oil at night on the bad spots and when I put some on last night, it really stung for ages! Won't be using that any more...

This morning, I feel a bit dried out. My throat feels dry and my eyes are a tiny bit dry. I can definitely tell that my skin is different. Although there is still oil, it's kind of on the surface, if that makes sense and my skin seems dry underneath. My spots also seem less inflamed and angry.

I'm amazed at all this after my first dose. Can't wait to see what happens next, though I am kind of scared about the initial breakout - I reckon I have quite a lot of old spots waiting to make a comeback...

Hey that is almost exactly what I've just writtten on my log! Not sure if I'm just super aware of anything diff happening to my bod or the drugs really do kind of sink in that fast! I've been feeling just...peculiar today. And my muscles have been aching little...is this real or in my head lol!?

hope ur well

xx

Hey all

Had a slight disaster where I spilt water all over my keyboard, but back on it now! This is my third day on the tane and nothing much has changed. I seem to be getting more spots, which I was geared up for, so I'm not too upset (though you always kind of hope you'll be in the tiny percentage that gets away with it). The skin all over my body is really dry and feels kind of thin and...papery I think is the best way to describe it. Like it's really delicate and could tear easily. My lips aren't too dry though (my lipbalm must be doing the trick), and weirdly, the skin on my face is still oily, but is starting to flake in places, too. My eyes are pretty dry and sore, so I think I should get me some of those natural tears eye drops thingamys.

I have this one thing which is kind of a spot orgy on my cheek - about 3 of them got together and decided to get messy. So, that looks pretty gross and is really quite painful. It seems to be quite deep too, and I have been keeping an eye on it to see if it's making its way out, but I haven't seen much progress yet. I have lots of smaller spots coming up around the usual places - cheeks, chin, jawline...hell, everywhere, really! I also seem to be getting quite a few around my mouth, especially under my nose. They kind of itch a bit, too, but only every now and then, not all the time. Oh, and some real beauties have popped up on my back and shoulders too, just in time for the party season :dance:

The thing I noticed most yesterday is that my joints were really stiff and achy. I was sat on the floor for about half an hour with my legs crossed and when I tried to get up, my knees were completely locked up and really painful. It took me a few minutes to be able to stand up! I am such a granny....

Also, i had my implanon implant removed from my arm today. The injection to numb it absolutely killed, but the actual removal didn't hurt a bit. I was a bit worried about having my skin cut open when it felt so delicate and papery, but my doctor said it should be ok, as the incision was only about a cm. Has anyone else had surgery or any major cuts while on the tane? I heard it can cause you to heal more slowly...Also, I got a weird big white area where the injection went in, which worries me a bit - looks like my skin reacted weirdly to it or something.

So, not an awful lot to report, but I guess it is only day 4. I am so desperate to see some kind of change, I look at my face about every 5 minutes, which then just depresses the hell out of me. I think this is why tane can cause depression in people!

Thanks for the comments ali - hope it's going well for you. Keep strong!

BettyCherry xxx

Oh and does anyone have any recommendations for eye drops? They are so sore!

Guest Poker-Butt

my acne is starting to look like that :( ....

anyway, good luck w/ accutane , hope all goes well for u :)

Thanks poker butt. You've just reminded me, I want a game of hold 'em...

Well, this morning the spot orgy seems to be over. It's still there, just doesn't seem to have much substance to it. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't vanished, just not as big and I don't think there is a much gunk in there. Yum...

Woke up with new spots, just like every day, but they aren't very big. Just teeny little ones on my chin mostly. I seem to have quite a few whiteheads popping up, but I have to say, I can't see any new major spots. All the old ones are still there. Perhaps I will post some more pics and see if it looks any different..

IPB Image

IPB Image

Eeeeeewwwwww! I was wrong about that spot orgy. It exploded yesterday quite dramatically, just before I was supposed to go out. So, I stayed in and cried instead... :boohoo:

My skin actually seems less dry now, which is strange. I guess my body is learning to deal with the tane. I hope it hasn't outsmarted it already! i can't really see much difference in my skin at all today. I still have some active spots, I have a lovely big scab where the exploding orgy was and lots and lots of whiteheads everywhere. Not much of an improvement, really. Yeah, I know, I am only on day 5. But, you know, you get your hopes up...

Last night, when I got upset, I did notice I got upset a lot more easily than usual and with some drama. I guess maybe the tane is affecting my moods a little bit, but as long as I am aware of that, I can deal with it.

BettyCherry xxx

Good log, good reading and I hope all goes OK. one of the most important things is to stay positive...i learnt that. Are you from the UK? If so, did you get tane on the NHS and how long did it take?

Hey Vanessa,

I feel quite honored to get a post from you! I read your journal from start to finish and it was ace. Yes, I am in the UK and I was pretty lucky with my referral. I got referred in October, had my first appointment in December and they put me straight on tane. My doctors are great. But I think because I am 24 and have tried everything else, they didnt argue. In fact, they suggested it.

What kind of dose were you on? Mine seems pretty low compared to most...

Thanks for the kind words.

BettyCherry xxx

Hi Betty!

Good luck with the Accutane. I wanted to post b/c I'm on a fairly low does too - 3rd month of 40 mg. I guess we just have to trust that our doctors know what they're doing!!

anyway, good luck to you!!

Laurel

Quick tip:

Alcohol+air conditioning+roaccutane = extreme dryness!

The works do last night resulted in my lips feeling like they were going to fall off my face and all the dry bits on my face turning into big crusty scabs. Man, did I look hot...

Today, the right side of my face seems to be free from newbies, but the left side has a couple of humDINGers that have cropped up. They have been threatening to appear for a while and last night seems to have forced their hand.

Oh and I am slightly concerned by the shooting pains I am getting in various spots over my body. Has anyone else experienced this and should I be worried by it?

Other than that, I am so dry!!!!

BettyCherry xxx

Well, you think it can't get worse, but then you go and amaze yourself.

DAY 7

Lots of big, horrible cysts and hundresa of whiteheads and general bumps. Blackheads all appearing and skin generally looking like absolute shite. Flaking in parts. Lips actually fell off they are so dry. Yuck yuck yuck.

I have read so many logs of people that have been here and have come out the other side. Yet somehow, it becomes harder and harder to remember them when you look in the mirror every day and look worse than the day before. I know it will get better. I know you have to go through this stage to get clear, yet somehow, I don't think I quite believe it.

Have had a couple of really bad headaches on the tane, the general dryness and sore joints, but nothing too major. I think the major symptom has got to be my mood and my self esteem. I am literally starting to wish I was invisible and I rarely leave the house unless I have to, because I cannot cover these things up any more.

Still have new spots appearing pretty regularly and they are just as big as ever, if not bigger.

Come on tane, give me a break here!

So I'll post some new pics. They are pretty horrendous, so brace yourselves.

BettyCherry xxx

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

betty , my acne looks very similar to yours. Mine is not spread out like urs but my pimples are bunched together so it looks like u have a big patch of pimples from far away. I'm into week 3 now and so far haven't noticed improvement and i just got my initial break out . But i'm being patient. GOod luck with ur accutane.

yeh stick with it and take it properly and moisturize and wear suncreen please the sun will eat you up.i felt like a vampire

Thanks everyone. It really helps to hear from others.

DAY 8

I am a bit scared to say it, in case I jinx it, but I feel different today. Even though I have the hugest, most painful zit I have ever had just under my bottom lip, when I looked in the mirror this morning, somehow my skin looked better. It's really hard to describe how. I dont have less zits, but they all seem to be healing and there isn't so much yuckiness going on, just redness and my general skin tone just seems a bit better. I could actually cover my skin up with makeup and it would look pretty ok. Apart from the monster under my lip, which is SO painful, but doesn't have a head on it yet.

So, no new active pimples or cysts today.

Massive cysts on cheek healing, huge cyst under lip still there.

Lots of red marks, where old pimples were.

Very dry lips, eyes and hair.

Headaches seem to be subsiding.

I didn't go to the door today to collect a package, because of my skin. I am hoping this will be over soon, so I can start living my life again.

BettyCherry xxx

May the force be with you!

"If you're facing in the right direction, all you have to do is keep on walking"! :D

Hope it's getting better.

good luck with your tane treatment. the first couple months are the crappiest with the initial breakout, but it gets better from there. but at least it's winter now so by spring time you should be clear. :)

~Amy

Thanks so much guys. You're keeping me on the path!

DAY 11

The huge group of zits under my bottom lip seem to be finally healing. They got really messed up and infected, but also dry, cos of the tane and it kept cracking and reinfecting itself. Mmmmmm.... But today it seems a bit less messed up, so it might be finally healing. For some reason, it's almost impossible to cover up my zits these days, partly because my skin is so dry that make up just looks gross on my skin. I know I shouldn't be cloggin up my skin as it's trying to purge itself, but there are so many things I have to do that involve going out into the world. I swear since my skin got loads worse, people have stopped looking at me. I was trying to explain to my boyfriend that usually, as a female, men look at you to see if you're hot and women do the same, to assess if you're a threat! Haha. But these days, people just glance and then look away...

I am still getting new zits most days, though they are quite small ones. I do have one that is threatening to become a cyst and I am trying my best not to pick at it, which is almost impossible for me. As soon as it has a head on it, I want to get rid of it, cos it looks gross. I must resist!

I have to go to a big family party tomorrow night, which I am TOTALLY dreading. It's all my boyfriend's family and I have managed not to see them since I started on tane, so they haven't seen my skin bad. And it will be in someone's house. In the light. Up close and personal. Argh! Someone tell me what I can do other than wear a mask. If only it were fancy dress...

So, in summary:

-Feeling very shit about myself in general and wanting to hide all the time.

-Skin looking really poo, with lots of spots and red marks and flakiness to go with it.

-Dry lips, dry eyes blah blah blah.

-Eating a lot more than normal, but that might be cos I am not going out!

-Larger cysts seem to be healing.

Not great, but nothing majorly bad there either. Like you all said, just need to keep on going and keep the faith!

BettyCherry xxx

Great log BC, wish you the best.

ye good luck betty with your treatment..once you get through the first 2-3mths its smooth sailing from there..nice log!, although no need to update pics so often, hard to see any improvement that way... sorry how rude of me, its your log u can do as u please :)

Well, I wanted to update as often as I could, because I wanted to provide people with a real idea of what happens to your skin while you are on the drug, to help them make an informed decision. Before and after pictures are all very well, but they don't show the reality of being on tane for 5 months. And yeah, it's my log so I'll do as I damn well please! Lol. :lol2:

But thank you all for your comments and I will keep posting regularly.

BettyCherry xxx