Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who thinks exfoliating is beneficial?

Im not sure cause ive been exfoliating every so often since day 1. It feels good, but from what I hear it isnt so good for red marky skin. Is it one of those acne picking cases? (Picking pimples feels good, but it isnt good for you.)

People give me your inputs. btw im on accutane (But in liek 2 weeks ill be done.)

It depends on how you exfoliate and how your skin reacts to that particular method. Using a scrub, a rough cloth/brush/sponge, or something like that every day could irritate your skin and cause you to break out more (like St. Ives scrub, even though it's so popular, is pretty bad for your face -- any dermatologist will tell you that it can cause tiny tears in your skin). I prefer an acid exfoliant like lactic acid or alpha hydroxy (glycolic) acid for daily use, and then a *gentle* scrub once a week.

Beneficial for me. I use a both chemical and manual exfoliation everyday. SA gel at night, and I use a gentle scrub twice a day.

chaos..i have senstive skin so i got the st. ives apricot scrub for senstive skin, but i still got irritated and my was was red and dry

St. Ives is supposed to be horrible to the skin

chaos..i have senstive skin so i got the st. ives apricot scrub for senstive skin, but i still got irritated and my was was red and dry

St. Ives is supposed to be horrible to the skin

yes i will never use it again because of that

exofilation is the KEY to clearing red marks...

it will only cause chaos if it's done incorrectly and irritates the skin too much...

try the toothbrush method, i find it really useful, especially using it prior to the application of AHA lotion

I'm using glycolic acid and salicylic acid in a serum but I think they help acne better than red marks. My favorite exfoliant is the olay regenerist microdermabrasion/peel kit. It's obviously not comparable to a clinical microdermabrasion or peel but it's the only store-bought exfoliant that I like. Cleanser mixed with baking soda makes a good scrub -- not as good as the olay m/p but better than ordinary scrubs you could buy at a drugstore. I tried a facial brush but I don't think it helped anything. Made my skin circulate and gave a good glow but nothing long term.

If red marks are dilated blood vessles underneith the skin.. then exfoliating the surface isn't really going to do much at all.