Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Derek C

To All Those Who Got Smoothbeam Over a Year Ago...

Hey people. I decided to start this thread to help me and all the others who are considering Smoothbeam, but want to know how the results hold up over the long term.

SO, if anyone has gotten the smoothbeam over a year ago, or more, can you please let us all know how your scars are now? Some people imply that the improvement in scaring is only due to an initial "plumping" or "swelling" of the skin, which goes down over time. And someone else implied that a year or so after, he noticed his skin was saggier or something, but i think he wasnt too sure.

I dont want to damage my skin any further, and i dont want to fork over the bucks of the treatment if it's not permenent. please help us out yall. my main concern is the long term effects on acne scaring. thanks again. peace.

Hey people. I decided to start this thread to help me and all the others who are considering Smoothbeam, but want to know how the results hold up over the long term.

SO, if anyone has gotten the smoothbeam over a year ago, or more, can you please let us all know how your scars are now? Some people imply that the improvement in scaring is only due to an initial "plumping" or "swelling" of the skin, which goes down over time. And someone else implied that a year or so after, he noticed his skin was saggier or something, but i think he wasnt too sure.

I dont want to damage my skin any further, and i dont want to fork over the bucks of the treatment if it's not permenent. please help us out yall. my main concern is the long term effects on acne scaring. thanks again. peace.

It's almost been a year since I had my *first* smoothbeam treatment. I had 3 more after that, w/ it all ending in march, but I didn't see any improvements :(

It's almost been a year since I had my *first* smoothbeam treatment. I had 3 more after that, w/ it all ending in march, but I didn't see any improvements :(

that sucks. didnt i read in a different thread that you said it actually made your scars worse?

I had my first treatment Novemember 2004. I finished my fourth treamtment in June but recently decided to go back in for another series.

I think the results last but they fade. For about a month after I've had one my skin is smooth, tight, plump, and very clear. Then slowly the clarity starts to fade. For me, however, the improvement in scars does not go away and any new breakouts are milder. I think it's best to go in for occasional touchups. But, the price is usually reduced if you don't have your full face done. It costs me only $150.00 to have my cheeks and jaw line zapped. The results are slow, painfully slow, but you can see long term improvment from this treatment.

I believe the best results are achieved by combining smoothbeam with other collagen producing supplements/topicals.

that sucks. didnt i read in a different thread that you said it actually made your scars worse?

yes, it did. I got more scars too as a result of breakouts I experienced after the 3rd and 4th treatments, when she put the machine on a higher setting.

I had 6 treatments two years ago. The results looked good at first, but after a few months I was sorry I had spent so much money on it. If your scarring is minimal, you might be happy with the end results. But if your scars are deep, like mine, you should expect limited results. I'd be lying if I said it didn't help me at all, but, by the same token, that's a Hell of a lot of cash to throw down for limited improvement.

yes, it did. I got more scars too as a result of breakouts I experienced after the 3rd and 4th treatments, when she put the machine on a higher setting.

Lex, did you see ANY initial improvement, like in the begining? it seems most see at the very least an improvment in the texture of their skin. nothing positive for you? thanks again.

and thanks to everyone who responded. peace.

I'm getting it done too, but about a year from now. I appreciate everyone's elses experiences with SB since I joined in Oct, but I've come to the realization that if I want to know if this is gonna work for me or not, I have to try it. Reading bad experiences really put me down because I was afraid of having Lexy's experience, but I have decided to take that risk anyways. If you have the money, I believe you should go for it; at least one treatment and see how it goes.

Lex, did you see ANY initial improvement, like in the begining? it seems most see at the very least an improvment in the texture of their skin. nothing positive for you? thanks again.

and thanks to everyone who responded. peace.

For several days after each my first and second treatments, my scars were barely noticeable (except for the icepicks, they stayed the same). But this was due to the swelling. After about a week, it went back to how it was before. No differences in texture at all.

I had 6 treatments two years ago. The results looked good at first, but after a few months I was sorry I had spent so much money on it. If your scarring is minimal, you might be happy with the end results. But if your scars are deep, like mine, you should expect limited results. I'd be lying if I said it didn't help me at all, but, by the same token, that's a Hell of a lot of cash to throw down for limited improvement.

how deep is your scarring?

are you saying your last treatment was 2 years ago? so your saying the improvement in scarring was permenent? some say its due to "swelling". thats what concerns me.

someone else on these boards, in the "My Smoothbeam Treatments" said he felt a year later his skin was more saggy. hmmmm.

my scarring isnt too bad, and i'm hoping it will help. but i want the results to be permenent. thanks for your comments. please let me know, just to claify, how much improvment it made on your scars and if that improvement remains even to this day. thanks again.

I had smoothbeam two years ago. 6 sessions. Today I can honestly say the scars do look better. They were rolling scars. The problem is we look in mirrors every second of the day and don't notice improvement because it happens gradually, then at the end we say there is no improvement at all. If I were to return to a mirror in a certain area that I haven't been for a year, the scars do look alot better. Its like with your eyesight, some people don't notice they need glasses because the change is so slow. Smoothbeam still isn't a miracle, and is probably not worth huge amounts of money. But I would say its definitely a good place to start based on my experience. I haven't been to this board in months as I'm just not as concerned with the scarring anymore as I feel it looks better.

I had nine smoothbeam treatments more than 2 years ago, and they didn't do diddley squat for my acne or my indented scars. They just cost a ton of money and were painful, and the esthetician was rude when I didn't get results after the first 6 treatments. After a nightmare, I had to ocmplain to the manager to get 3 free additional ones, and then I still didn't get results.

btw-the only reason I was able to get 3 free add'l treatments is because they forgot to get me to sign a key paper in the beginning that said that I understood I may or may not get results. I was promised certain results and didn't achieve any of them, and felt pretty cheated because I had saved up a long time to get those stupid treatments.

They literally didn't do a single thing for my acne or my scars...I'd save your money. I don't know whose skin they would work on. I do know that I havne't been able to find a single success story complete with before and after photos on the smoothbeam. I think it's useless against acne and indented scars and red marks. I never saw improvement in any of these.

Had 6 courses of S/B over 1 year ago. Did nothing for my scars.. I feel it may have helped my acne some but scars are no better off for it.

Some have reported good results so take everyones responses objectively. There were a couple of HUGE threads on smoothbeam which you will find if you do a search. It was the rage of this board a year or two ago.

Good luck.

I had 4 Smoothbeam treatments over a year ago. I LIKED SMOOTHBEAM. While it is expensive, I think the results are good but not phenominal. I also got zapped with a low frequency Vbeam on a larger scar which caused that area to bruise like a purplish blue color. It was supposed to help the large scar possibly regenerate. I lost the pics of it. It helped a bit. The Vbeam, though, was not worth the month it took to fade. I noticed my skin was much tighter after the treatments and remained that way untill recently, I noticed it is close to how it was before but maybe still slightly tighter. This could be due to stress, age or other variables. I think it may be something which requires maintenance every year or two. I did get a few tiny blisters after one treatment. May have been my fault since I was in the sun briefly. I would recommend going straight home after the treatments and pampering yourself with an aloe mask. The blisters healed up nicely and almost just looked like freckles for a few days since they were tiny. I am considering more Smoothbeam treatments next year. I don't think it will do alot for icepick scars but for shallower scars with smoother edges, I think it is helpful. It also helped reduce my pore size. I am a 41 year old caucasion female. I have a light to medium complexion. I have babied my skin since my mid twenties. I've tried many things and while this is expensive, I considered it to be a good thing for my skin.

i had 12 total smoothbeams a little over 1 year ago and i have to say that i dont see any improvements from it, infact i think it caused some new scars.

Jessica,

There was a thread on here somewhere, complete with pictures, of a girl who had wonderful success with smoothbeam for her acne.

I think smoothbeam is a good treatment. It's one of the only things that has actually helped my skin. When I had my first one I had been on retin-a for two or three months and my skin was a mess. Smoothbeam turned out to be a godsend for me.

It's good to be cautious but listening to too many horror stores just paralizes people.

I had smoothbeam two years ago. 6 sessions. Today I can honestly say the scars do look better. They were rolling scars. The problem is we look in mirrors every second of the day and don't notice improvement because it happens gradually, then at the end we say there is no improvement at all. If I were to return to a mirror in a certain area that I haven't been for a year, the scars do look alot better. Its like with your eyesight, some people don't notice they need glasses because the change is so slow. Smoothbeam still isn't a miracle, and is probably not worth huge amounts of money. But I would say its definitely a good place to start based on my experience. I haven't been to this board in months as I'm just not as concerned with the scarring anymore as I feel it looks better.

I agree with Frozenblizz,

I had around 6 Sb's. The last one being over a year ago. At first it's very frustrating because it's a gradual process. I would say that my VERY mild scars disappeared within 3 weeks of my FIRST session. And each session after, the scars would fade minimally over time. 2+ years later I am happy I went through with it. My scars were very minimal and just on my cheeks but give it time and it does yield improvement for those with mild indents. I would still go for a touch up or two but it's not my priority like it used to be, which to me, means it did me some good.

It hasn't been a year since I had my last Smoothbeam, but it will be a year come February 06. Since I had my last Smoothbeam back in February 05, I would say that the improvement I have seen is minimal. I'd be lying if I said it didn't do anything. I would say some of my shallow scars have improved. Like others have said, it doesn't seem to do anything for icepick scars. Smoothbeam was my 2nd non-ablative laser. IMO, it's a good place to start off in terms of treating your scars, but overpriced given the results. But then again, my settings were low relative to what others on this board have done. The most I went I believe was either a 12 or 12.5. Some of the people who had good results had settings of 13 and 14. Of course, at those settings, the chances of blistering and hyperpigmentation are higher. Right now I am taking a break from expensive scar treatments and doing some research before I spend my hard earned $$$$ on something else.

I agree with Frozenblizz,

I had around 6 Sb's. The last one being over a year ago. At first it's very frustrating because it's a gradual process. I would say that my VERY mild scars disappeared within 3 weeks of my FIRST session. And each session after, the scars would fade minimally over time. 2+ years later I am happy I went through with it. My scars were very minimal and just on my cheeks but give it time and it does yield improvement for those with mild indents. I would still go for a touch up or two but it's not my priority like it used to be, which to me, means it did me some good.

so, those scars you say disappeared within 3 weeks, are they still gone? my main concern is that the improvments are temporary, since it tightens your skin initially. did the improvement in scars deminish from the initial response? thanks again.

thanks all, your responses are very helpfull.