Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Farther Away

What should I use for my scars? Please help!!!

I have ALOT of purple-red marks on my cheeks at the moment and I really don't know what to do about them. My skin is sensitive and I'm currently on Differin and Doxycycline pills for my acne. Can someone recommend something for me? I know these marks go away with time but I'd like to help them along a little faster. I also have a few shallow pitted scars, anyone know of anything that can help with that also? Here are some things I have considered trying:

Aloe Vera Gel

Neutrogena Multi-Vitamin Lotion

Copper Peptide Serum

Alpha Hydrox 10% Cream

Anyone try these and have success? I also heard that Differin can help with scars, is that true? Any suggestions or reviews on the products listed would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the questions!Thanks soooo much! :)

~*~*Farther Away*~*~

Differin can help with scarring, but the most effective agent I have encountered is not topic but oral. Accutane. Some doctors claim that accutane does not improve the appearance of scars, but I have found this not to be the case. It is especially helpful in reducing/eliminating the discoloration associated with scarring. The skin becomes smoother and more even. As for the lotions you mentioned, your best bet is probably to take a look at the contents: anything that carries an acid (hydroxy, glycolic etc) and/or vitamins A or E.

Thank you for the reply! :D I've thought of taking Accutane but I'm afraid of the side effects :) Plus it's very expensive. Did it help with your acne a lot also? And did you have a lot of bad side effects? Anyone else have any suggestions for my scars? Thanks! :D

Unless you have severe acne, I don't know why accutane would be suggested.

I think what you are going to try would be very good. Just be warned that the skin, over time, builds up a tolerance to glycolic acid. It works excellent but will only do well for about a year of constant use before you have to go up to a higher percentage.

You should try to switch to Retin A micro if possible. I have used both Differin and Retin A micro and the Retin A works much better. Combined with the copper peptides, you should do fine. Start out the glycolic acid every other to every third day in the morning only ofcourse (you don't want to combine it with Differin or Retin A if you can get that) so that you don't get so immune.

Use the regular copper peptides for a while and see how you do. You may have to swith to the SUPER CP serum to work on your scars.

Hope that helps.

:D

Hi Farther-away

When I was a teenager I had really terrible acne--my face was very red, splotchy/uneven, minor depressions in the skin (not extreme pits). I also had severe acne on my back that I was positive had scarred. I am fair-skinned and the marks on my back were purple and so noticeable. I went on accutane and it helped me so much. Everything disappeared--for a few years. I began to have break-outs again, and uneven, blotchy skin, but never as bad as before.

I am 25 now, and just got off another round of accutane. Even though my skin condition was not severe, my skin simply did not respond to other treatments. I went on it this time mainly for my back, which cleared up perfectly and no trace of discoloration at this point, but I can't tell you how much it helped my face. All the red marks disappeared, and the bumpiness and mild pits also smoothed out. My sister, who had pretty severe pits, also really responded to accutance. We were surprised, but even the pits seemed to smooth out to a degree.

I was very scared to go on accutane the first time. The dr. showed me the pamphlet and I saw all the photos and felt sad that he felt that my acne was that bad. I thought of it as a sort of chemo for acne--kill the acne just before the accutane kills you. But it really is NOT a big deal. The major thing is that you cannot get pregnant while on it, so any woman must be very closely monitered to ensure safety against birth defects. But while your skin will get dry and lips will need constant vaseline, and you may sometimes have a little bit of joint pain or headaches, all of these side effects are temporary. The help to your skin will not be.

I was reading this message board and all of the people who are so afraid of accutane and I just have to disagree with the fear. The vitamin A in accutane works wonders on the skin. I understand being afraid to take a drug that can cause birth defects etc--I am reluctant to go on birth control bc I don't want to mess with my reproductive system--but I think the accutane fear is hyped up. My skin went from shallow scars, redness, blotchiness, and unbelievably oily, to smooth, fair, and even. I think you should try it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but didn't she ask about help for red marks and not acne? #-o :-k

Another problem with Accutane is that you are severely restricted on scar treatment for 12-18 months on what you can do when you stop Accutane.

FA: If you have sensitive skin and aren't breaking out bad, but have red marks and blotchiness, there is no need to even consider accutane. Accutane is for severe acne, not mild or even moderate acne.

Farther Away, have you tried the tape method? I've been doing it for a little less than a week now, and I've had great results! (not a miracle, but so far so good :D ) I'm also going to try the Neutrogena Multi Vitamin. I understand it helps, as well. I'm not sure about the pitted scars :-k But, here's wishing you tons of luck, hun! [-o<

She asked if it helped with my acne. It did. But it also helped so much with red marks and scars, and just general skin condition. It is not just for people with severest of acne. It is also for people who have acne that does not respond to other forms of treatment.

Yes, accutane use does delay being able to use lasers and acid peels etc, but arent those procedures also problematic if you have active acne? Plus, it sounds like there are $ considerations. Accutane is not cheap, but it is at least covered by insurance. And it takes care of all your skin problems.

Allie: I have active acne (not severe but mild) and have had non-ablative laser therapy (v-beam), a TCA peel, and needling done on scars.

It depends on how bad the acne is.

She said that she has sensitive skin. I would think that the lighter she goes on treatments, the better. There is no need to introduce Accutane at this point from what she said.

I think it's great that you had a great experience with Accutane, but not everyone has been so fortunate. It can be very hard on the body. Everyone reacts differently.

Accutane is supposed to be for severe acne only. Some doctors might prescribe it for persistant mild acne but that's not what the manufacturers say it's for.

Guest niko

Although my third round of accutane is to blame for all my scarring, It does give me 100 % great results, and red marks seem to go a lot faster when on it (probably because I don't breakout at all)

Denise is right though, scar treatments can't be done. Its a trade.

I also have very sensitive skin. Are all those acid peels, laser procedures, and needling not abrasive to sensitive skin? I had a dermatologist in D.C. tell me that my skin was too sensitive for chemical peels etc. Are they still running in the near-thousands of dollars for treatment? I don't know--I haven't looked into it. All I am saying is that accutane can really help people clean up their complexions permanently. It tackles all of the skin problems, not just scars. I do not know anyone who has taken accutane and regretted it, even if the problem returned a few years later in a somewhat abatted form.

Farther Away, you should talk to your doctor about this. Only s/he knows what your current skin condition is. I am just telling you that most people I know who have been on accutane did not have cystic acne--they just had a stubborn problem that was not going away. Now they have beautiful skin. It removes red marks, live acne, and even marks that I was positive were scars. Accutane is vitamin A in high doses. Vitamin A is wonderful for skin and skin-renewal.

I was scared off from taking accutane, and I wish I had just taken it long before I did. It turned my skin around. Not everyone gets perfect results (I ended up taking accutane a few more times, myself.) But it does make a significant difference in everyone who I have seen. Doctors do not like to prescribe accutane because of the liability involved: if a woman gets pregnant, horrific birth defects are the result etc. It is also difficult for them to have to manage--monthly blood tests etc. They appropriately reason that if something cheaper and less powerful combats the acne, then there is no need to move on to something expensive and more invasive like accutane. But, there is also no reason for you to continue to suffer from live acne lesions, red marks, and open yourself up to further scarring that could last for many years just because accutane is a powerful drug.

Talk to a dermatologist about it.

I tried the at home microdermabrasion. Think I saw improvement but i doubled the recommended time . The brand is " i-skin". Sally Beauty Supply. 39.99 Ive had a professional "real" dermabrasion too around 10 years ago but i still have one quite large shallow scar left on my right cheek. Right in the apple of the cheek too so it haunts me!!

I also tried the salon micro-dermabrasion which i think i saw some improvement with. But they threw in extra stuff i think. Some sort of peel afterwards.

As for the full dermabrasion. Expensive. At least a week or more downtime. But wallaa fresh new skin. Be VERY careful too about your doctor. I would go to a plastic surgeon not a derm for that. One with LOTS of experience.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I have thought about going on Accutane but I don't know yet. I want to try other prescription meds before going to that. My derm actually recommended it to me and it was the first time I had even been to a derm. I was very surprised by this as I only have moderate acne not severe and have never been on prescription meds. If I try things and they don't work I probably will end up going on Accutane. But I'm looking at it as a last resort. I've only been on Differin for five weeks now and I've had a little improvement. Anyone know how long it actually takes to clear you up? I've decided to go with the AHA oil free gel for my red marks. I've heard a lot of raves about it so I'm going to give it a go. I just hope it helps. I've tried an at home Micro-dermabrasion kit, the iskin one someone here recommended. But it made me break out terribly. I've also been trying the tape method for a couple of weeks now. I'm not sure if it's helped yet though! Thanks Again! :)

I feel really bad it made you break out. When i used it I had to really deep clean my skin afterwards because it did seem to leave a residue.

My skin is pretty oily too but I didnt break out. Not really.

I think what they're saying about accutane is true. Had a good friend with roseacea and acne mixed. Skin was way inflamed and broken out. After taking accutane she is left without any scars-- incredibly. I think without it she would have probably been left with a few scars. Then again I've seen a few posts from people who think otherwise. I havn't ever taken accutane but this girl lived next door to me and I tell you it was incredible how well it worked for her.

Wanted to add more to my post. First I dont know if you're male or female. Assuming you're male. But first of all I think it might be best to get any acne under control before you do anything which may be abrasive. I had a few bumps when I tried the iskin and i think it may have helped them but my skin may be different all together than yours. Plus I really deep cleaned afterwards. Should have added that. Sorry. I think above all keep your skin very clean and maybe change pillowcases every other day and drink lots of water. Take vitamins too. Not sure of your age either. I know this is not the forum but i tried the vinegar method and my gosh I couldnt believe the results. In my skin color mostly, seems much more even. Im caucasion female maybe slight slight olive complection but almost fair. And stress too, trying not to worry alot. My husband tells me yesterday that I worry tooooo much. So okay I'm going to try not to. I think with the other things you're taking just be careful not to irritate as well. Peace.

FartherAway, I understand your feelings about wanting to try other treatments before trying accutane. That is what I did for years. I do think, however, that if your doctor recommended it to you, perhaps you should not try to exhaust all other skin treatments before taking accutane.

If the differin plus antibiotics are not working for you after 5 or 6 weeks, I think you would not likely see much improvement from switching to a different antibiotic or different cream.

Perhaps your reluctance to take accutane is born of fear of side-effects. Just know that they typically are not extreme (dry lips and skin are annoying but not dangerous), and they will be closely monitered by a doctor who would rather you have acne than sue him for damage due to accutane. Perhaps your reluctance is financial. Would accutane be covered by insurance? After you take it,though, you won't be spending money on these skin treatments again (or at least for a long time).

Good luck, and be very careful with these over-the-counter and home remedies. Some of this stuff can scar you.

I hope that you find something that works for you, and that if you do not find anything soon that you will have a successful accutane treatment! :)

I have ALOT of purple-red marks on my cheeks at the moment and I really don't know what to do about them. My skin is sensitive and I'm currently on Differin and Doxycycline pills for my acne. Can someone recommend something for me? I know these marks go away with time but I'd like to help them along a little faster. I also have a few shallow pitted scars, anyone know of anything that can help with that also? Here are some things I have considered trying:

Aloe Vera Gel

Neutrogena Multi-Vitamin Lotion

Copper Peptide Serum

Alpha Hydrox 10% Cream

Anyone try these and have success? I also heard that Differin can help with scars, is that true? Any suggestions or reviews on the products listed would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the questions!Thanks soooo much! :)

~*~*Farther Away*~*~

I would agree with the others that you need to get your acne under control, first - then work on marks later.... Since your skin is sensitive, I would try the least invasive things first and work to more invasive things later.... I have listed them in the order I would try them. I'd only use one method at a time, (not all at once) and try each of them for at least a month to see if you are getting results, that is, unless you have a bad reaction to something. If you react badly to a certain method, stop immediately. Less invasive methods such as these may take time to work :

1) Aloe Vera Gel

2) Diluted Vinegar (see the vinegar and lemon thread)

3) Copper Peptide Serum

4) The Tape Method of exfoliation (there is a thread about it)

5) Lactic Acid

tryingtoimprove: It does suck that the microdermabrasion kit didn't work for me. I was really hoping it would but all it did was give me a massive breakout :) Thanks for the tips! I'm female by the way...lol... :D I'm 23 and I'm very pale skinned. Maybe I will give the vinegar method a try sometime.

allie35: The Differin is helping a little just not as much as I want it too. I want to be completely clear by now and it's not happening so I'm getting impatient now! It's been 6 weeks now and it says it can take 8-12 so I'm trying to stick it out. The side effects of Accutane do scare me. I've heard of hair loss, liver damage, bones aching, eyes hurting and skin and lips being extremely dry. I probably would try it though as a last ditch effort. My derm was so pushy with it though and I don't get why as I don't have severe acne. But I am thinking about it and yes the cost is also an issue. My insurance won't cover it so I'd have to pay for it myself. And I heard it's like $200.00 a month or something. I heard they are coming out with a generic version, but I don't know if it's out yet.

OursFan: Thanks for the suggestions! I'm currently using the tape method and a 10% Glycolic Acid Gel for my scars. I'm hoping it will work out for me. I am however thinking of doing an at home peel. I don't know if I should use a 30% Glycolic Acid one I found or the Lactic Acid one? I see you put Lactic Acid in your list though so maybe I'll give that one a go sometime.

Thanks again everyone! :D

~*~*Farther Away*~*~