Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was actually about to post a new topic about my experience with Philosophy, but now I'll just repond here!

I have had moderate acne for several years, and have tried many many things, including retin-a, antibiotics, B5 (the only thing that has helped, but recently it has started to become less effective), and a $700 ClearLight treatment that did absolutely nothing.

About a month ago I got philosophy's acne kit. Pretty expensive, but i had seen some great reviews for it. Right away, I didn't use the protection cream (i think that's what it's called) at all because it didn't mousturize very much and because I've been very happy with Oil of Olay lotion with SPF. Then, I ended up not using the wash either. I found that I would still have a sulfery smell to my skin even late in the day when I used the wash, so instead now I use an exfoliating scub with salysilic acif from Neutrogena.

So right now I'm only using the H2O2 cream and the blemish serum, and I LOVE THEM. I have not had this clear of skin for quite a while now. I am not 100% clear, but every few days I will get a day where the only blemishes that I have are not active but are just healing. It's made such a difference, really great stuff. Neither of the products are irritating, I have had NO redness or peeling at ALL. Also, the H2O2 cream does not bleach (I know this was an issue when I was deciding to buy it, I'm tired to having bleached clothes because of benzoyl peroxide!)

What I do is in the morning I will use the exfoliating scrub in the shower, and then use the blemish serum and then the H202 cream all over my face, and finally the oil of olay lotion to moisturize and protect my skin from the sun.

At night I just use the H2O2 cream before I go to sleep. However, I might switch to using some glocolic acid lotion in order to get rid of all the spots on my skin (and also helpfully clear my skin up near 100%).

So my review is very positive, I LOVE the products, they've helped me significantly. If I were to do it again, I would probably just buy the blemish serum and the H2O2 cream, not the whole kit because I did not use the wash or the protection cream.

Let me know if you have any questions, I don't get on this board very much but I'll answer any questions as soon as I get them.

hope this helped.

I am interested in trying some products from Philosophy and am interested to read other peoples comments on their products.

Thanks

Guest Poker-Butt

i use philosophy's baby grace fragrance smells nice :D

and their hand cream is awesome!

I've been using the acne kit as well, for about a month.

First of all, just as a warning: The h2o2 does bleach. It bleached the hairs around my hairline and my stray eyebrows. On the positive side it did bleach my upper lip hairs. They were barely visible as is but now they're white. When using it on your forehead, just put a dab in the middle and blend slightly outward. Don't get it near your hair or eyebrows. And be careful of your clothes.

I've had fairly good results. My acne started after I moved to a different climate. My skin was very low maintenance beforehand, just a gentle cleanser, a gentle toner, and some every couple of nights kept me completely clear. But when I moved it just erupted and after 5 months of religiously following the old regimen I decided it wasn't going to work. I normally think kits are scams but I liked the idea of this one. The ingredients don't repeat -- i.e. in the murad kit there are two retinol products (no wonder people hate that one) and in the proactiv kit there are two bp products, and that's just a waste of money. This kit has just a cleanser with sulfur and camphor, a serum with SA and GA, a cream with h2o2, and a silicone protective moisturizer. It's also not expensive. Four neutrogena products would cost you almost the same amount and wouldn't be of as good quality.

The cleanser is nice. I prefer a gel cleanser but this one is a good cream cleanser, it makes my skin clean and doesn't dry it out. It contains sulfur which my skin responds well to. No complaints about the cleanser.

The serum burns when I apply it but I've gotten good results from it. It might cause irritation if you're sensitive to alcohol because that's the first ingredient. It has 2%SA and glycolic acid is the second inactive ingredient after alcohol so the concentrations are high enough to be effective.

The h2o2 cream is strange. Sometimes it feels dry on my skin and sometimes it feels greasy. It can look crusty on your face so I don't use much during the day and slather it on at night.

The protectant isn't something I'd ordinarily have bought, especially since on its own it's $15. But it does a great job of covering the crustiness of the h2o2 and makes my skin look smooth under makeup without being greasy. Plus, I live just south of LA with all the smog so if anyone needs a protectant, it's me.

My skin hasn't completely cleared up since I've started using it. I still got a few pimples around the time of the month that I normally get them, and I've gotten the occasional pimple at other times. So I wouldn't say it's cured my acne. But it's definitely helped, I get less of them and when I do they disappear much faster. It's also doing a good job of controlling oil. When I was using BP I used to wake up with an oil slick face whether I used moisturizer or not. But now my skin is only slightly oily. I did have some dryness at first but I wouldn't even call it a problem; it was nothing I couldn't fix with moisturizer. I would definitely recommend it -- it's give better results than anything I've tried thus far, and it's a good deal.

I'm glad that it is helping you as well. It's strange that the h2o2 bleaches you, I suspected it would because h2o2 does bleach, but before I used it I put it on a dark piece of cloth and it didn't bleach it, and I have had absolutely no problems with bleaching (including hairs) since I've started using it.

Also, from the actual philsophy website, the kit of the 4 products is $47 not including shipping. That's $47 for 1 ounce of the h2o2, 3.3 ounces of the wash, 1 ouce of the serum, and 1 ounce of the protection cream. That's definitely pretty expensive for not very much product. The products work for me so I'm willing to use them, but just letting people know that it isn't as cheap as, say, Neutrogena.

Overall though, I'm glad to hear it's helping other people as well, I really haven't seen many bad reviews for philosophy products, good stuff.

I've been using the acne kit as well, for about a month.

First of all, just as a warning: The h2o2 does bleach. It bleached the hairs around my hairline and my stray eyebrows. On the positive side it did bleach my upper lip hairs. They were barely visible as is but now they're white. When using it on your forehead, just put a dab in the middle and blend slightly outward. Don't get it near your hair or eyebrows. And be careful of your clothes.

I've had fairly good results. My acne started after I moved to a different climate. My skin was very low maintenance beforehand, just a gentle cleanser, a gentle toner, and some every couple of nights kept me completely clear. But when I moved it just erupted and after 5 months of religiously following the old regimen I decided it wasn't going to work. I normally think kits are scams but I liked the idea of this one. The ingredients don't repeat -- i.e. in the murad kit there are two retinol products (no wonder people hate that one) and in the proactiv kit there are two bp products, and that's just a waste of money. This kit has just a cleanser with sulfur and camphor, a serum with SA and GA, a cream with h2o2, and a silicone protective moisturizer. It's also not expensive. Four neutrogena products would cost you almost the same amount and wouldn't be of as good quality.

The cleanser is nice. I prefer a gel cleanser but this one is a good cream cleanser, it makes my skin clean and doesn't dry it out. It contains sulfur which my skin responds well to. No complaints about the cleanser.

The serum burns when I apply it but I've gotten good results from it. It might cause irritation if you're sensitive to alcohol because that's the first ingredient. It has 2%SA and glycolic acid is the second inactive ingredient after alcohol so the concentrations are high enough to be effective.

The h2o2 cream is strange. Sometimes it feels dry on my skin and sometimes it feels greasy. It can look crusty on your face so I don't use much during the day and slather it on at night.

The protectant isn't something I'd ordinarily have bought, especially since on its own it's $15. But it does a great job of covering the crustiness of the h2o2 and makes my skin look smooth under makeup without being greasy. Plus, I live just south of LA with all the smog so if anyone needs a protectant, it's me.

My skin hasn't completely cleared up since I've started using it. I still got a few pimples around the time of the month that I normally get them, and I've gotten the occasional pimple at other times. So I wouldn't say it's cured my acne. But it's definitely helped, I get less of them and when I do they disappear much faster. It's also doing a good job of controlling oil. When I was using BP I used to wake up with an oil slick face whether I used moisturizer or not. But now my skin is only slightly oily. I did have some dryness at first but I wouldn't even call it a problem; it was nothing I couldn't fix with moisturizer. I would definitely recommend it -- it's give better results than anything I've tried thus far, and it's a good deal.

I love philosophy, but it did not entirely clear me and it did nothing for blackheads. But it makes your skin so super soft. I liked the wash and still use it from time to time, I love the blemish serum, however, it does contain alchohol and it does burn like crazy, it worked really well. I liked the H2O2 cream, however, it completely bleached my eyebrows and hairline and I have very dark brown hair and very light, yellow, orangey eyebrows because of that cream LOL. It also turns anything that is open on your face white, just like the brown bottle of peroxide would and it burns like heck too on anything open. I never used the last step for more than a few days, it is the same as the clear makeup, and it is crappy. It does nothing as far as mattifying your face and it is a crappy moisturizer too. It made no difference in the appearance of my skin but it does help makeup go on smoother. I read that silicone, what is in this product, can break you out badly but it can take months for it to start breaking you out and by then you don't know what the heck has caused you to break out, I guess it builds up on your face or something, I don't remember the exacts. All in all though I liked how the on a clear day acne kit made my skin look and especially how it made my skin feel, even if it does burn while applying some of it. :D I just moved on because it did nothing for blackheads. I still use philosophy products, like the shower gels, perfumes, lotions, etc. They have some wonderful products that make my skin so soft.

Brandi

Great responses, thanks ! I think I am going to try the H202 cream. I wouldn't mind some bleaching effects on the red spots that are left on my very fair skin even weeks after a blemish heals.

Has anyone tried the Hope in a Bottle ? It is supposed to be a different formula (made especially for those of us who experience regular breakouts) than the Hope in a Jar cream that I have heard so many people rave about for the past few years.

I use hope in a jar, only because I got it free with a purchase. It really is great stuff. I think hope in a bottle would be better for my skin type though and I might try it when I am out of HIAJ. I have a pimple on my cheek right now (that time of the month) and I have been picking at it. (Bad Bad Bad) :D Anyway, I broke out my philosophy kit again and have been using the serum and the H2O2 cream and the HIAJ and it has now scabbed over again. I want to pick it but I must just let it rest. However, I put the serum on last night after washing with my SA cleanser and it only burned a little on my spot, then I put the H2O2 cream on and the whole spot turned white and it stung so bad, but I guess it is killing the germs. I just love my SA cleanser I use, but I might go ahead and use philosophy in the morning and my cleanser at night because I love the smooth skin philosophy gives but I like the way SA gets rid of blackheads so maybe alternating will be the way to go.

Brandi

It's true that it doesn't do much for blackheads. I've added the olay microdermabrasion/peel thing twice a week and an aspirin mask a few times a week, and that does help. The silicone does frighten me but I don't use it every day and I don't use it at night so hopefully it's not building up on my face as much. I have seen how the silicone in cheap hair products (cough-garnier fructis-cough) can build up on hair and totally ruin it within months but hopefully between the few days a week that I don't use it and the exfoliation of the micro/peel and aspirin mask will protect me. Also if you have emollient makeup you can just use aloe instead. If your makeup is dry or powder-based that won't work as well though.

I was using philosophy's micro peel and loved it but at 65 bucks a pop I can't afford it. So, I switched to olay and I loved it but it broke me out something awful. I don't know why. I guess if I want smooth as a baby's butt skin I will have to shell out the $$$ for philosophy. :) I have been using a facial brush everytime I wash for about a month now and that seems to do pretty good at combatting flakes, but I loved the peels so much and hate that I can't use Olay. And, like you, that silicone worries me a lot so I just avoid those all together.

Brandi