Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kkpb7825

why is there such a thing as acne?

I was thinking the other day, and acne isn't CAUSED by any kind of infection, and isn't due to any injury etc.

So why does it exsist, let me explain what i mean, 80-90% of teenagers in western society experience some form of acne, due to their glands producing too much sebum which then allows the NORMAL skin bacteria to proliferate in the gland et viola, a spot... so this is what... a mistake on evolutions part? an genetic error?..

It can't be or it would have been selected out long ago by natural selection, whereby you'd imagine that if long ago the majority had acne, and by a fluke one lucky person didn't then on average that person would be more likely to pass on their 'acne-free' genes.

But since nowadays the majority do suffer from it, then if genetics was really the problem, then it would suggest that those who have acne would have had the survival advantage, which seems obsurd.

So i was thinking it can't be a genetic mistake, i.e it must be something that we are all doing in the western world that causes most of use to react in such a way that our genes cause too much sebum to be produced and thus acne to occur.

The only real thing that the majority do is consume vast amounts of processed foods, which i believe our digestive systems can not cope with correctly, since they have not evolved since we were chimps, and chimps don't have to deal with pizza, or microwavable curry.

So i tryed it, for one week i only eat lots and lots of all kinds of fruit + brazil nuts, walnuts, and hazelnuts, and i stopped getting new spots after three days, but this diet is unsustainable with the demands of the modern world, it doesn't supply enough energy, to live an active life.

So i slowly added bit by bit more and more processed foods, to see which ones caused the most problems... by raising this disscussion i wasn't trying to offer a cure, not by any means just an interesting (if unsustainable) point. I would appreciate others thoughts on this... thank you.

The thing is acne is not a debilitating disease, in so far as it doesn't affect your perfromance physically. Now, the majority of human evolution took place between 300,000 and 50,000 years ago.

In this time mirrors did not exist, so the people who suffered with acne did not have a confidence problem, lol :D . Ok, more importantly, mating was commonly not a matter of choice on the females part, and as acne does not physically handicap us they could compete with other males. Hence the genes were passed on.

The whole point of this is, that people in acne were in no way inferior to others. The only thing i can think of is that possibly females did not get mated as much if they had acne. So genetically it could have survived easily.

Ok, on your other subject of diet, yes i think that it is highly likely that processed foods do have an impact on acne, it's just so damn hard to maintain that sort of diet :evil:

Yup, a lotta people say it dosnt matter what you eat, but I found that if I DO eat Chocolate it leads to really bad breakouts, but I guess everyone is different.

urscrewed, I doubt that it is the chocolate that is acutally causing the acne. More likely, it is a surge of hormones during certain parts of the month (whether you are male or female you still get them). That surge is responsible for food cravings (read chocolate) and changes in skin's oil production & ph level (which lead to acne breakouts). Just my 2 cents.

My theory on this whole "What causes Acne" thing is that it is purely genetic. Sure, some things may *aggravate* it, like chocolate, milk, profuse sweating, cigarrete smoke, etc, but if you worry about all these things you will go paranoid and life would be even less enjoyable than it arguably is with acne anyway.

Millions of people who eat chocolate have perfect skin, so that is not the cause. We just have to accept that it is genetics and concentrate on stopping the cause rather than the things that aggravate it.

Otherwise we could all go insane!!

if the cause is genetic then how on earth can we possibly hope to 'stop it' , how many genetic engineers do you know that can correct your genes and stop you getting acne....

and also coming back to the original point, genes won't just cause a disease all on there own, unless its a simple inheritance which acne is not, they have to be switched on by the environmental triggers, like diet etc. Countries where no processed food are eaten have no acne, or have never had acne, (search the medical literature to find alot of underground studies).. this must mean something.

When I said "stop it" I meant treating it, with medications. Like there is no cure yet for cancer, the same goes for acne. You can only treat the symptoms.

I'm not saying the things you mentioned don't trigger it, of course they do, but I for one would not want to go through life avoiding things for fear of aggravating my skin. I'd rather treat the problem so that those things do not trigger it.

and also coming back to the original point, genes won't just cause a disease all on there own, unless its a simple inheritance which acne is not, they have to be switched on by the environmental triggers, like diet etc. Countries where no processed food are eaten have no acne, or have never had acne, (search the medical literature to find alot of underground studies).. this must mean something.

WOW, is this true, i might cut out processed foods and see :-k

sorry jonathan i miss understood you...i agree with you, about two weeks ago i cut out all processed foods and only eat, lots and lots of fruits (of all kinds) a limited no of vegetables, and olive oil, and nuts every time i had fruits, (healthly ones like brazils, walnuts, almonds), and drank lots of water, the reason i eat lots of nuts was to balance my blood sugars after the fruit sugar, so that i didn't get hunger pains or cravings, after 3 days i got no new spots, but i was getting low on energy so i lapsed, and now im more or less back to normal.

Chances are, that all that fruit and nuts you ate were covered in pesticides and treated with tons of growth hormones. Now if you were to to go to another country and live their lives, eat their diet, and actually mimic they're whole daily routine, then you could find out if diet was causing acne.

There have been numerous studies that show acne is not directly related to diet, so it could also be the people native to these countries had good genes as far as skin goes. And since they don't mate with many outside influences, they keep the genes. But, you might also look at other traits. They may have genes for being short, hair/eye color, etc...and if these traits were common among everyone, then clear skin genes would be to.

But what good does it do us right now...none at all.

Just wait and maybe our kids will have better treatment than we do (I say that with perfecly clear skin...thanks to tazorac and benzaclin).

people with acne have mostly an evolutionary advantage. acne prone skin are usually very oily. an oily skin is overally better because is less vurnable (excuse spelling) to sun damage.

'haloflies' i mainly ate only organic stuff, so the growth hormones and pesticides weren't so much of an issue. Secondly if those people have different genes that don't give rise to the conditions in the body that predispose to acne, because they are genetically isolated as you say. Then why is it that the genes which do give rise to the conditions that predispose to acne, are advantagous in a western society, there is no reason at all.

For if these genes weren't advantagous in our society then, firstly they wouldn't predominate and secondly, there would have to be environmental differences in western society compared to those areas without acne, it's basic genetics. So in fact it again all comes down to this key environmental difference, which i believe (and many studies have shown) is diet, in fact when you give it some thought, diet in the most likely candidate for the major causative difference between the two areas.

So although you you thought you were disagreeing in actual fact you were backing up the arguement albeit in a more round about fashion.