Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
exploit2002

Dry Skin, Help!

ive been on the regimen, for a few days, and my skin is really dry , i put too much BP on , the thing is for a few days now ive been putting on moisterizer, and its not doing anything, i bought the products dan recomended, i dont understand why the dry skin and flakes wont go away , my face is pealing, i got so frustrated today that u did what use to do when my skin got like that and put moisterizer on and scrapped the dead skin off with my fingers trying not to irritate my skin, it just wouldnt come off any other way , i still have a some and my skin is kind of dry , so dry that when i washed my face with the purpose soap bar , once it started drying , it felt tight and like it has something on it that was holding it together like that feelings u get when u put alot of BP on but only i didnt have anything on... its the dry skin that made it feel that way , i dont know what to do the moisterizer dosent seem to be working that well, i mean when i put it on it like takes care of the dry skin temporarly and as soon as i wash my face its there again, and another thing is my face never seems to want t obsorb the moisterizer, it just never completly obsorbs , it just sits there and looks like its oil on my face, and its sticky and never fully dry's , WHAT DO I DO ?im eve afraid to put BP on so i dont make it worse, but at the same time i afraid if i dont put BP on im gonan start bearking out again, and i cant deal with that again.i dont know what to do , and im really frustrated.

i just put on the moisterizer and it burns alot, i guess my skin must be really irritated, but its not red at all, but it really really burns right now, but when i put on the BP it ws fine, i dont know what the hell is going on, i just hope i dont mess up my face with the regiment

After a couple of weeks the burning sensation will pass and you'll be able to put in on without irritation. It just takes a while fore your skin to adjust.

I have been on the Regimen for a few months and am experiencing the same problem too. I am not sure how long this is going to continue, and I don't know whether I should stop the Regimen or continue, because my skin gets really dry but if I don't put BP then I will obviously get pimples. Has anyone experienced this as well and what did you guys do?

I know about the peelies. They are impossible to ignore! It gets addicting - you know, peeling off the dead skin. Before you know it, your hand is on your face searching for a dry patch. It soundslike you need to use a different moisturizer. Have you used the alpha hydroxy one that Dan recommends? I use the neutrogena oil free, but I do not have dry skin, I have very oily skin. When I had the peelies it was because I used 10% BP (crazy, right?!) If something burns on your face, don't use it. Your body is sending you a signal so listen to it! If the purpose bar is making you feel dry, try a cream cleanser. I think there is one on the regimen page. Cetaphil, I think. It's very gentle, give it a try. [-o<

it sucks though cause i wasted all that money and now i have to buy the stuff from the begining, i guess im gonna buy a new cleanser and moisterizer.

forgot to write , that i use neutrogena oil-free sensetive skin, and purpose soap bar.its weird cause with the moisterizer, i can put a lot on my face and it will osbord it but once it gets to a certain point where theres a really thin coat of it on my face it just stays like that and never fully obsorbs, i dont know i guess i have to go buy new stuff.

i woke up and hour ago and washed my face, instead with the purpose soap bar, i used this old clean & clear oil-free daily pore cleanser that i had it sais on the tube " gently scrubs pores clean with smooth, round "micro-scrubbers" wont overdry" it does have those micro -scrubers and i think it worked pretty well on my face, i tried not to be gentle and not irritate my skin , and my skin wasent dry after i washed it and had no pealing, maybe it was cause i tried to take the pealing of yesterday but i remmeber there still was a little, and now its gone, i think it might have been the soap, what do u guys think of Clean & Clear .

It is the purpose bar - it is always the purpose bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have read countelss posts like yours where people who use purpose also describe chronic dryness. Switch to a gentler and more moisturising cleanser. Cetaphil liquid is my pick. I don't think clean and clear is what you want - it will almost certainly have active ingredients. Remember no acne fighting ingredients other than the bp lotion on the Regimen.

Frances, I could not agree more! Purpose is too drying ! I use the Wal-Mart (Equate) brand of the Cetaphil liquid cleanser & it kicks ass! My skin is so baby soft now that it is really amazing! The stuff is cheap, too! It's like $2.67 a bottle! The ingredients are exactly the same as the Cetaphil and listed in the exact same order. This generic Cetaphil really is the exact same thing! My skin went through a rough and dry period when I first began the regimen, but it went away (and so did my zits!) I love you, Dan!

Thank you Frances for the Purpose bar tip. My 15 year old daughter started the regimen four days ago. She thinks she looks better, and she has not said that for a long time, but she too is complaining about dry skin. I told her to go back to the Cetaphil she was using before, but I guess some dry skin is to be expected.

I have high hopes for this system. The way I look at it, it is going to take some experimenting at first to see what products work best, but I spend lots of $ each month on all her prescription meds so if this works I won't need to buy that stuff any more. (I am not complaining, I just want something to help her.) The Feniven, Retin A Micro, the oral antibiotics and the whole parade of products she has used in the past only seemed to make things worse. You know how on many products they tell you that you will get worse before youy get better? She would get worse, and that is where she would stay. Acutane was going to be her next choice.

People seem to be having success with this. I hope all of you do the same. :evil:

lori_lee , its sux that ur daughter has to go through this, i mean it sux for everyone,but i remember i was so embaressed through out high school and would hide, and while all the other kids were in the hallways socializing, i was in the homeroom hideing....i put make up on my face and im a guy and if anyone ever noticed they would say something behind my back, its horrible....tomorrow my cousin is having a little get together and shes gonna invite some of her friends from work so im going there tomorrow, but guess who is gonna be hideing inside so i dont go out in the sun and they see me wearing cover up on my face, im gonna wait till it gets a little dark , the party starts at 4 pm and im going at 7 or 7:30 , this is what i have to go through , my brother and some of my friends went to the beach the other day and for the same reason i didnt go.anyways about the cetaphil liquid cleanser , and im gonna try it in a little bit b4 i go to bed, hopefully its better the the purpose soap bar.I kinda read the most horrible thing in this forum, how someones young relative which was about 2 to 4 years old, tried to draw a picture of her/his, uncle or aunt and drew hers/his face with red dots on it "pimples" .i kinda lauphed at first cause it was a little funny, but think about how horrible that is, i felt really bad , its not fair that people have to go through that.how do the expect to find a cure for aids and cancer when they cant cure something as simple as acne, i think their not looking for a cure or have found it but wont use it on purpose, so the drug companies can make money off us, i mean think of it, people dont die from acne so its the perfect way to make money off people cause everyone wants to have a clear face and will try anything and waste tons of money to get it.Its not fair, everything isnt fair ,its not fair that some dumbass's thanks to genetics and their daddy's wallet have a beatuifull girl by their side when i dont, i dont have a fair chance with acne, and i can understand if god in punishing me for all the bad things ive done in my life, but i dont think ive done anything that bad to have to go through this for 5 years straight, and im sure most of the other people have done alot more bad things then me ,we all do bad stuff, no ones perfect and i have no problem paying for my mistakes, but sometimes this is too much, but i dont blame god , maybe i deserve this, even though there are people i know that 10 times worse then me, but im thinking maybe im paying for this cause he see's potential in me, cause i really am a nice guy , the nicest i know , nice but not stupid nice, im as nice as it gets without being stupid.Please excuse me getting all personal, its just that acne can get really frustarting sometimes,im the type of person thats open about things. I think ive done well with the cards ive been delt, thanks for reading, and i hope everyone that deserves it gets clear skin.

That was a really nice and honest post exploit2002, thankyou for being so open with us...

exploit2002 you must realize that your acne is not caused by anything BAD you did in your life. There and many good kids with acne, and many bad ones with clear skin. It is, as you said, the cards you were delt. My heart goes out to you though. As bad as it is to watch my daughter suffer through this, it has to be much worse for guys. My daughter can cover up with makeup, and does a good job of concealing zits, where if guys try to conceal with makeup, then they have to try to conceal the fact that they are concealing. I notice there are some guys posting on the makeup forum. You should go there and read what they have to say. Maybe there are products you can use that won't be obvious in the sun, and you would not have to limit your social life to after the sun goes down. I think you are on to something about there never being a cure for acne. Think of all the money the drug companies would lose. I think they would not even approve of Dan's regimen. If it works, and I told our derm about it, I don't think he would share it with anybody else. He would lose lots of buisness. For the same reason I don't think there will ever be a cure or cancer either. Cancer is big business too.

Lori-lee

Good luck with your daughters problem. I have nothing except really good things to say about the regimen. Sheesh I'm 27 and this year was my first clear year since getting the dreaded curse when I was 14! I had found that differin, accutane, antibiotics all had no lasting effect or carried side effects worse than the orginal problem. That is not to say those things aren't worth trying out - particularly accutane which can literally clear you up for life.

Re: my comment about purpose soap. I should clarify I have never used it - but I have observed consistent complaints about its drying effect by posters on this site. I have dry skin naturally...and personally I find any bar product drying whether it is made by clinque, neutrogena - whoever.

also for your daughters dry skin - search the site for "tape method"...never used it myself but there are some old skool people on this site who swear by it.

Good luck.

She started the tape thing a couple days after starting the regimen. I jjust got back from Costco where I bought a giant package of Scotch tape. She is not red and itchy like other people have complained, except for the MANY red spots that were already there from previous blemishes, aggrivated by the Retin A Micro I think.