Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wolfy

Blue/red light treatments (and phototherapy)

Wolf, i just ordered a sci/art and it comes with 2 bulbs (red and blue) and a grip fixture. I do both bulbs once a day for 10mins, correct?

Wolf, i just ordered a sci/art and it comes with 2 bulbs (red and blue) and a grip fixture. I do both bulbs once a day for 10mins, correct?

Follow the instructions. Don't go significantly over or significantly under.

i finally got my sci/art that i ordered from kaliszincolor.com. They only sent me 1 blue bulb even though i ordered and payed for both a red and a blue. Also, the papers that came with it look kind of dirty and they say that you only get a 60 day trial period as opposed to a 12 week trial that they say on there website. So, this doesnt seem to be going real smooth so far.

i finally got my sci/art that i ordered from kaliszincolor.com. They only sent me 1 blue bulb even though i ordered and payed for both a red and a blue. Also, the papers that came with it look kind of dirty and they say that you only get a 60 day trial period as opposed to a 12 week trial that they say on there website. So, this doesnt seem to be going real smooth so far.

Doesn't sound good.

Still blue is by far the most important bulb. If you get the red bulb in a week or two or more you should be OK.

60 days should be plenty anyway- most people seem to make their mind up about 6 weeks/45 days that it's working.

Doesn't sound good.

Still blue is by far the most important bulb. If you get the red bulb in a week or two or more you should be OK.

60 days should be plenty anyway- most people seem to make their mind up about 6 weeks/45 days that it's working.

Wolfkeeper, are you using your SciArt blue light only 10 minutes per day every day? The documentation says to alternate every other day for 15-20 minutes. Did you start out with a longer period of time and now only need 10 minutes to keep it up? Please advise. Thanks

Wolfkeeper, are you using your SciArt blue light only 10 minutes per day every day? The documentation says to alternate every other day for 15-20 minutes. Did you start out with a longer period of time and now only need 10 minutes to keep it up? Please advise. Thanks

I've got a dermalux lamp; the instructions are different.

I've ordered a blue lamp from sci/art but it hasn't arrived yet.

The only thing I know for sure at the moment is that biochembabe used it for 10 minutes everyday, and had very good results.

I was about to buy a blue and red light system for my moderate acne but at last had some doubts. On top of that my skin therapist who knows a lot (and she should!) was convinced it was nonsense. I've just visited her for the first time 3 days ago and we only talked about my face and how I should approach it. I had just started my own improved CSR which was already working but she told me to cut out with all the stuff on my face and give her approach a try.

She made me buy a pretty expensive very mild micro powder scrub/peel. It's just powder which I have to scrub with every morning and evening after using ph5,5 or lower soap. Because of the peeling my skin gets thinner so she can really treat my skin much better. So far I like it (been using it for 3 days) and she said that after a while I could start using the BP if this wouldn't work optimally.

The fact that I just found this thread right here encourages me to still buy that light therapy machine. I've been thinking about it for quite some time and I might really have came up (or pretty much stolen :)) a good regimen for myself. I'm thinking of using the light therapy and for topical treatments a combination of the low ph soap, the powderpeeling, BP and a moisturizer with AHA like Dan uses. Like this i'm going to try to get clear really fast of course. Then in the long run when the light therapy should have really kicked in (after about 12 weeks) I'll try to slow my topical regimen down and see what happens.

I'm going to keep you guys updated if I get the light therapy machine. If I won't then I'll just start an own thread with the topical treatments.

For now thanks a lot for sharing this information and keep up the good work :). If it works for you this machine really sounds like a great solution.

The only thing I know for sure at the moment is that biochembabe used it for 10 minutes everyday, and had very good results.

YUP! I no longer have any pimples at all. I went to Africa for a month and didn't take my lamp. It was 6 weeks until I used the lamp again and I began to break out like I had before. However, it only took 2 weeks for 10 minutes daily again to see the same results I saw last year when using the lamp for 3 months. Now I'm clear again and down to only 5 minutes of use.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

YUP! I no longer have any pimples at all. I went to Africa for a month and didn't take my lamp. It was 6 weeks until I used the lamp again and I began to break out like I had before. However, it only took 2 weeks for 10 minutes daily again to see the same results I saw last year when using the lamp for 3 months. Now I'm clear again and down to only 5 minutes of use.

Hey Boichem, did you ever try the suggested 15-20 mins every other day? :think:

Has anyone ever tried the acne mahine? It's a kind of light therapy, I'm not sure exactly what is does. www.acnemachine.com

The site looks a little suspicious, but their product is approved by the FDA, and it is pretty cheap, considering what is says it does.

Has anyone ever tried the acne mahine? It's a kind of light therapy, I'm not sure exactly what is does. www.acnemachine.com

The site looks a little suspicious, but their product is approved by the FDA, and it is pretty cheap, considering what is says it does.

Nothing on the site gives me personally any faith that it works.

What makes you say it's approved by the FDA, I didn't notice it saying that anywhere?

Hi guys,

I got my lights from naturebright on Friday. I started to use them twice daily (15 mins in the morning and 15 mins at night). I haven't had new breakouts so far, and the redness of my face is fading (of course I just see a very small change).

I was on Benzaclin, Taz, and Bactrim, although I told my derm that proactive gave me acne! (before I just had a couple of very tiny pimples on my forehead that would come and go, and they were not even red; but after I used proactive for a couple of months I got acne all over my face). Nonetheless, I followed her treatment for about 4 months, but my skin was not getting better at all. In fact, the medicines were irritating my skin and causing redness all over. So I decided to stop her treatment on March, which was a great decision! Inmediately my face started to clear up by itself, and my marks started to heal much faster. Right now I just wash my face with a cleaner with SA (I use aveno's in the morning and clinique's at night), and I spot treat with the aveno spot treatment. I am so happy my face is not getting red anymore and that I'm not getting rashes because of the BP!!!

Anyways... I like using the lamps. I put them on my nightstand and I lay down on my bed for 15 mins facing the lamps (remember to wear your protective glasses and close your eyes). Hope to have a clear skin in couple of weeks :)

Hi guys,

Hope to have a clear skin in couple of weeks :)

That's really overoptimistic.

You should get slightly better skin almost right away (the red light helps with healing), but the majority of the visible improvement doesn't happen for 6 weeks; and then your skin should be noticeably improved and then will continue to improve till you're past the 3 month point. As a rough rule of thumb people get ecstatic at the 6 week mark onwards.

Atleast, that's what's going to happen if you're in the 80% that see decent improvements. And another 10% see some improvement.

Nope. I was so bad about using it like it was recommended. I fell asleep at least twice while under the lamp last year and even though I used it everyday, I never used it for the same amount of time each day... and I didn't rotate my head the whole time; I just switched my positions 3 times to get the front and sides. I'm not good at following directions, but hey..it still worked.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Nope. I was so bad about using it like it was recommended. I fell asleep at least twice while under the lamp last year and even though I used it everyday, I never used it for the same amount of time each day... and I didn't rotate my head the whole time; I just switched my positions 3 times to get the front and sides. I'm not good at following directions, but hey..it still worked.

I'm a bit the same to be honest, but i've tried to stick to some sort of regimen with them. I was using them every second day but i've switched back to every day because of some info Wolfy gave me. Also because i've been having a breakout the past few days. I'm under alot of stress and haven't been getting much sleep so i'm not surprised, but i just want to get 10 mins of them every day for now. It's not three months yet, and i'm bloody glad because i don't want to lose faith in this. :|

I'm a bit the same to be honest, but i've tried to stick to some sort of regimen with them. I was using them every second day but i've switched back to every day because of some info Wolfy gave me. Also because i've been having a breakout the past few days. I'm under alot of stress and haven't been getting much sleep so i'm not surprised, but i just want to get 10 mins of them every day for now. It's not three months yet, and i'm bloody glad because i don't want to lose faith in this. :|

If you're under a lot of stress, I reckon you can do up to 10 mins twice a day with your lamp.

But how long have you been on it so far GTO? Less than 8 weeks isn't it? Your skin should be better right now, but there's still a way to go.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

If you're under a lot of stress, I reckon you can do up to 10 mins twice a day with your lamp.

But how long have you been on it so far GTO? Less than 8 weeks isn't it? Your skin should be better right now, but there's still a way to go.

It's exactly 8 weeks today actually. It is definately better that when i started. I'm just unsure as to whether my skin will keep improving after 3 months usage, or if that will be its peak. :think:

You don't think twice daily would be too much exposure?

It's exactly 8 weeks today actually. It is definately better that when i started. I'm just unsure as to whether my skin will keep improving after 3 months usage, or if that will be its peak. :think:

Your skin will continue to improve after 3 months; and it should be about twice as good by then. At this point I would expect you to still breakout, but the breakouts should be fewer and clear up somewhat more quickly.

You don't think twice daily would be too much exposure?

No, should be perfectly fine. I should leave a few hours between treatments though.

But you don't have to do twice a day, once a day for 10 works. But twice a day is good if you're under extra stress.

I do 15 mins twice a day (one in the morning and one at night). But you have to check the instructions of your lamps.

I have less than a week and I see an amazing improving on my red marks (but seriously an amazing difference; I wished I had pictures). I also use twice a day the Aveno treatment for red marks, so I guess is a combination of the red lights and the Aveno cream. The lamp I use (naturebright) is great because you set the time and it turns off by itself, so it doesn't matter if you fall asleep.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Your skin will continue to improve after 3 months; and it should be about twice as good by then. At this point I would expect you to still breakout, but the breakouts should be fewer and clear up somewhat more quickly.

Okay, that makes me far more optimistic. The breakout have been somewhat smaller, but more noticable is the faster healing. I had quite a large pimple that would generally stay inflamed for around 1-1.5 weeks. It's flattened out in 2-3 days. :dance:

I think i'll try twice daily next time i get quite stressed.

does it matter washing your face before or after?

If you're wearing any coverup makeup, you should wash before; otherwise, I don't think it makes much difference.

and will other lights diminish the effectiveness? sun or tv or lamp being in the room?

No, no effect at all.

hi there, great info on the blue/red light theropy system wolf, iv purchased a home use light system to try out myself. Was just wondering how well this would work for me because i usually stay clear on the current regimen and BP gel has been a great help for me, however i suffer a lot from bleached fabric/hair. If someone can stay clear on BP regimen do they stand a good chance of staying clear using these lights daily, because as the research states the lights work just as well as BP if not better? Or is it a completely different form of treatment. I understand blue light and BP are both antibacterial treatments, but do they fight the bacteria the same way or differently? I know every person is different, but any info or personal opinions on how the lights would work for me would be great :)

I'm looking at getting either the Verilux HappySkin for $189 or the Sci/Art Dichro-Acne-Blue + Dichro-Healing-Red. Which is better>