Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is Loretadine 10 mg the same thing as Zantac 75?

thanks in advance?

I dont think so. I think Zantac contains ranitidine which blocks H2 receptors and loratadine blocks H1. Whilst Iam seeing results on loratadine, it would be better for me to be on an H2 antagonist for sure!! I just didnt do enough research before hand - was a bit of a whim!!! Despite this, I am seeing results and considering I bought the cheapest hayfever tablet I could means that theres got to be somehting init!! I am gonna get one with ranatadine in it next month for sure. Just to make sure that my skin stays as clear as it is right now!

Since antihistamines help with allergy symptom of inflammation and acne is an inflammatory problem I wonder if uv looked at that angle.

Dont know if uve tried salicylic acid, it is anti inflammatory. Freederm/nicam gel is also an antiinflammatory.

Its the exact reason I am doing this. I am trying to get to the root of the inflammation. Inflammation is caused by histamine! I have tried SA and found it ok but still just treated the symptoms and not the cause. I really have tried every potion out there almost so I am on an all out death to acne war now! Ive had enough of attempts at passive control and maybe getting only a couple of small ones a day. I wanna sto it and am determined to do it. I am also stopping dairy to see if it helps.

Something has to trigger the histamine though, and I recon that is different in us all. It is basically an alergic response, maybe to food, dust whatever. If we cant find what that trigger is then all we need to do is stop our bodies from reacting to the alergen. In theory, problem solved - lets wait and see.

I'm not sure if my experience will help, but it might add to this topic. I remember a year and a half ago in the spring I began getting dark circles and having allergies. It wasnt until a little over a year ago that I began getting some acne, but this was only after a bad sunburn. Since then I have had allergies, never really bothered to take something until now for it. I still have somewhat of dark circles but not as bad. I have had 2 bad allergic reactions, and my mom is allergic to a lot of things, and has mild acne herself, that could be do to a lot of things tho becuase she has a lot of things that could cause acne. Anyways, I sneeze very frequently and when I do its like 6 or so in a row, this makes a lot of sense ot me because I only get a few inflammed spots at a time, but they are always inflammed.

95% of my skin problems were caused by allergies to ingredients in my shampoo and my facial cleanser. If you can at all afford it or get it covered, a trip to the allergist is well worth the wait. I was tested a couple of months ago and my skin is finally calming down and evening out again.

Princess Nannan,

thats because histimine is one of the things responsible for making us alert, maybe take them at night or get the non-drowsy new kind - I am on loretadine 10mg if that helps and have virtually no drowsiness!!!

Thanks, maybe I'll try that. I can't even take them at night -- I have to have a very long night's sleep or else I can't wake up the next morning and feel drowsy all day, and being a college student 10 hour sleeps don't happen too often. But I'll definitely try the non-drowsy one. My system is just very sensitive to medicine. Even the prescription sinus meds everyone told me would keep me awake make me so sleepy I can't take them before class.

i had to cut back on the antihistamines because of a tired look that was getting to my eyes. but i'm still on them and my skin is still pretty awesome. even with a flaw or two. i have a little pink spot with nothing under it so i took a bunch of antihistamines and asprin and hope that the inflammation goes away because theres nothing else there!

in addition, i cut back on my bp because i noticed sometimes while healing what you have it CAN sometimes cause more inflammation. little "vacations" from teh bp can be good for healing red marks.

i'm still using the antihistamines and its still seeming to work for me.

so yay for me and kellywells! maybe we're on to something? we should totally start a thread diarizing this process.

i'm still looking into getting zantac75. then i'll really start a log.

i gotta post some pics too

Thanks, maybe I'll try that. I can't even take them at night -- I have to have a very long night's sleep or else I can't wake up the next morning and feel drowsy all day, and being a college student 10 hour sleeps don't happen too often. But I'll definitely try the non-drowsy one. My system is just very sensitive to medicine. Even the prescription sinus meds everyone told me would keep me awake make me so sleepy I can't take them before class.

i had to cut back on the antihistamines because of a tired look that was getting to my eyes. but i'm still on them and my skin is still pretty awesome. even with a flaw or two. i have a little pink spot with nothing under it so i took a bunch of antihistamines and asprin and hope that the inflammation goes away because theres nothing else there!

in addition, i cut back on my bp because i noticed sometimes while healing what you have it CAN sometimes cause more inflammation. little "vacations" from teh bp can be good for healing red marks.

i'm still using the antihistamines and its still seeming to work for me.

so yay for me and kellywells! maybe we're on to something? we should totally start a thread diarizing this process.

i'm still looking into getting zantac75. then i'll really start a log.

i gotta post some pics too

Which antihistamines are you taking? I am really wanting to start zantac too or anyother product that has ranatadine in it, apparantly thats what does the trick!

TTCHIC07 - I only ever get a few spots at a time too and they are always inflammed!! usually around my chin too. I am pretty lucky in that they dont seem to scar. My skin was awful a week ago and now is pretty damn good.

Did wake up with a small spot this morning but think that was down to the massivly unhealthy meal I had last night and the chocolate fidgecake and ice-cream that followed it!!!!! I knew immediately that I had eaten dairy, might just as well have smeared the whole damn cake over my face!!!!

Tired_of_waiting - definately a big yay for us chick :clap: I think this is gonna work! We just need to find the antihistamine that works for us!

Im not sure if im just imagining this or not, but Im on day 3 of allergy pills and these pimples that I thought would surely be inflammed are still flat, and seem to be going away without coming up. Luckily I havent scarred yet either, which is pretty amazing because this summer when I had an allergic reaction to Sulfer, my face blew up with about 8 cysts or so, I was freaking out. I basically stabbed my face, burnt it and squeezed it with everything possible, and there isnt even a redmark where I did all that, thank God for that.

right now i'm taking benadryl but i'm also taking apo-hydroxyzine whenever i get weird pink flushes.

I'm dealing with the first pimple i've had in .....well something like 3 weeks! its right under my eye at the top of my cheekbone but odd thing is theres nothing underneath!!!! so is it even a pimple? or just a like flatish red mark? either way its pissing me off but thats beside the point.

i'm poppin my antihistamines regularily but so far...notta thing underneath! if this was going to be a pimple...i would have felt something under the skin or seen a bump by now, just just the pink mark. this inflammation is getting under control!

This is the first thing i've seen in 3 weeks...thats a long time to go without getting really a pimple that looks like anything other than a pin prick. But i just lost my job yesterday, and am moving in with my boyfriend tomorrow etc. so i figure stress finally got the best of me. much like dairy got the best of you kellywells! I'm going to get some neutrogena clear pore gel for spot treatment tonight and possibly that vichy cover stick with the green concealer. its supposed to help heal the pimple while concealing it. meh. its my first one in awhile so i'll go all out :D

bought some zantac 75 today - only 12 days supply but should definately know for sure if it is gonna have a different affect to the Loretadine by then!

Also threw 30 quid at a Chinese herbalist to do a complete allergy testing on me. Probably just as well to throw it down the drain but I am a sucker for someone in a white coat!!!!

OK people, need you help here and confirmation too.

Firstly, I think we're agreed that we all get th following symptoms or immune response:

1. We rarely ever get ill/cold/flu (although I've got one now!)
  2. We are all generally quite anxious and nervous, but I think that's primarily due to acne itself
  3. I sneeze loads, like at least 10 times a day, and think dust sets me off a lot too.
  4. Anti-Hismatine tablets always seem to bring my acne down, not as inflammed.
  5. I'm 6ft and weight about 11 stone (that's 70kg) so I'm not loads underweight, but am quite skinny!

Are all these traits which we acne sufferers have in common here?

MY big question is this, should I be taking this and if so, how much do you normally take each day???http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/z/zantac/zantac_75.htm

Thanks all.

Hey guys, this thread is extremely interesting! Can you just take an anti-histamine like Benadryl even if you have no symptoms of an allergy. I have a history of bad allergies in my family. While driving to Atlanta, Georgia we passed a cotton field and my dad nearly sneezed us back to Florida! I myself do not have an dust problem but my acne is moderate. I was wondering since it is OTC if you could just take one everyday or something to test it out given my family history.

Hey guys, this thread is extremely interesting! Can you just take an anti-histamine like Benadryl even if you have no symptoms of an allergy. I have a history of bad allergies in my family. While driving to Atlanta, Georgia we passed a cotton field and my dad nearly sneezed us back to Florida! I myself do not have an dust problem but my acne is moderate. I was wondering since it is OTC if you could just take one everyday or something to test it out given my family history.

I recon that pour acne IS a symptom of an allergy! Rather than sneezing, itching and throat swelling I think it is making us break out.

Thanks for the PM GregasGP, I think we are allsuffering pretty much with those symptoms - I am anxious though, thats not down to the acne!!! Also, I am not particularly underweight but am very boney in places!!!

I have just started on the Zantac today and will be taking one a day for 12 days (coz there is 12 in the box) I have high hopes for this!

If it works than I may well go to my GP and try to get prescribed ranatadine (zantac ingredient) for longer term.

just out of interest what were the results of the test?

I wont know untill next Friday!!!! Apparantly it takes around a week. Thats not unusual, this in the UK after all! If I wanted it done on the NHS I would be waiting months just to see a dermatologist!!!

Tired_of_waiting - go get some Zantac girl, we should be doing this trial together!!! :dance:

I recon that pour acne IS a symptom of an allergy! Rather than sneezing, itching and throat swelling I think it is making us break out.

Thanks for the PM GregasGP, I think we are allsuffering pretty much with those symptoms - I am anxious though, thats not down to the acne!!! Also, I am not particularly underweight but am very boney in places!!!

I have just started on the Zantac today and will be taking one a day for 12 days (coz there is 12 in the box) I have high hopes for this!

If it works than I may well go to my GP and try to get prescribed ranatadine (zantac ingredient) for longer term.

just out of interest what were the results of the test?

I wont know untill next Friday!!!! Apparantly it takes around a week. Thats not unusual, this in the UK after all! If I wanted it done on the NHS I would be waiting months just to see a dermatologist!!!

Tired_of_waiting - go get some Zantac girl, we should be doing this trial together!!! :dance:

Only 12 in a box? If you got to mypharmacy.co.uk you can get 48 tabs in one box of Zantac 75 for about £9 honey. Good luck - I'm with the test on this. Let's burn the acne bi*ch up.

i have to find out if i can get zantac75 over the counter in canada. if i can i'm picking it up tomorrow and i'm going to start logging my results! we'll totally do this trial together kelly wells! then we'll have more definite results for the thread!

Tea Tree Oil...

Tea tree oil reduces histamine-induced skin inflammation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...2873&query_hl=3

Tea tree oil reduces histamine-induced oedema in murine ears

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...8268&query_hl=3

Tea tree oil reduces the swelling associated with the efferent phase of a contact hypersensitivity response

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...6511&query_hl=3

Terpinen-4-ol, the main component of the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree oil), suppresses inflammatory mediator production by activated human monocytes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...1302&query_hl=3

Witch Hazel is an often overlooked great antiinflammatory and antibacterial...

Antiseptic effect of a topical dermatological formulation that contains Hamamelis distillate and urea

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...511&query_hl=26

i may try tea tree oil spot treatment if this vichy spot treatment stuff i got doesn't work. its supposed to take the pimple away in 8-24 hours

Only 12 in a box? If you got to mypharmacy.co.uk you can get 48 tabs in one box of Zantac 75 for about £9 honey. Good luck - I'm with the test on this. Let's burn the acne bi*ch up.

Yup was screwed!! Thats Boots for you!!!

Tired_of_Waiting If you cant get it over the counter in Canada get it from ebay, I had a quick look and its really cheap for you guys!!!

http://search.ebay.ca//search/search.dll?f...&satitle=zantac

You can also get a zantac 150 which is definately worth remembering!!!!! I will start my diary tomorrow with full regiem details and a blow by blow account of any erruptions!! Should make fo interesting reading eh?

Will also try and up load pics of my skin before I started on antihistamines!! :ninja:

Noticed my skin was shining yesterday! Not the nasty greasy shine I usualy have but a new, smooth shine that Ive not seen for ages! looked almost polished but really healthy!!! Only on forehead though and ended up putting powder on top of it!!!! What a spaz!!!!!! :wall: All this trouble to get good skin then I cover it up with coloured talc!!! Will I never learn!!!

i have to find out if i can get zantac75 over the counter in canada. if i can i'm picking it up tomorrow and i'm going to start logging my results! we'll totally do this trial together kelly wells! then we'll have more definite results for the thread!

Yeah cool. Mate, if you can't get it over the counter, I'll order you some here and post to you if you like. Not a problem at all if need be. We all need to get our regimes going on this one!

I am rubbish at keeping regular logs!!

Anyways, zantec seems to be going ok - this stuff has definately reduced my histamine levels because I developed my first cold in years! I am not kidding - I have a real stinker! I have had one tiny spot (this morning) since starting zantac. I am finding it much better than the Loretadine.

I ate dairy end of last week which really effected my skin a couple of days later (see previous post Re- Choc cake!) and that has almost cleared, It broke me out in a dermatitis type rash and the zantac really took the edgeof it from Sunday onwards. Only a couple of red marks now then I am good!

I think that exfoliation is the key for this to work , one of the reasons that BP works is that it debrides the area and promotes an aerobic environment. I recon that all this gunk we are using on our faces is giving bacteria the anaerobic environment that they thrive in.

I am rubbish at keeping regular logs!!

Anyways, zantec seems to be going ok - this stuff has definately reduced my histamine levels because I developed my first cold in years! I am not kidding - I have a real stinker! I have had one tiny spot (this morning) since starting zantac. I am finding it much better than the Loretadine.

I ate dairy end of last week which really effected my skin a couple of days later (see previous post Re- Choc cake!) and that has almost cleared, It broke me out in a dermatitis type rash and the zantac really took the edgeof it from Sunday onwards. Only a couple of red marks now then I am good!

I think that exfoliation is the key for this to work , one of the reasons that BP works is that it debrides the area and promotes an aerobic environment. I recon that all this gunk we are using on our faces is giving bacteria the anaerobic environment that they thrive in.

Join the club Kels! I suffered a cold sinc starting Zatac75 too, on about the 2nd day, just got over it! Must be coincidence surely?? Also, I've had 2 minor pimples come up as well but it has really reduced the inflammation of my skin and existing pimples which are now pretty much just red marks. We'll keep on going and see how it goes in the next few weeks. ;)

I am confused. You all speak of antihistamines, but neither zantac or its ingrediant ranitidine are anti histamines, right? I looked up ranitidine and it said it is used for ulcers and GERD and it decreases acid in your stomach. I was told to take zantac a year ago when I had a peptic ulcer, it kind of like a better version of tums, you know? So, zantac is a antacid not an antihistamine. I am wondering because I would like to try this theory also, but I need to get the right thing. I am hoping someone can clarify because while I can imagine an antihistamine might help with acne I do not see how zantac, a form of antacid, could help acne at all unless it is because of a gut problem like a previous poster said? Someone please clarify. Thanks

Brandi

I stand corrected, I found this link that states zantac is an antihistamine. http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/detailed.jsp...parent=4&cat=47

I always thought anything dealing with stomach stuff was an antacid, hhmm, you learn something every day. :D I still have questions on how something that deals with stomach issues helps acne. It makes more sense that something that deals with hives and such (like benadryl, etc) would be better on acne than something for heartburn? What am I missing? Someone please explain this to me. I am really not slow, I just don't see the advantage of zantac over say, claritin? Thanks

Brandi

Well i haven't been able to get my zantac yet but i will not despair, i may try a walk-in clinic soon as i don't have a viable credit card for getting it off ebay :( Right now i'm on my benadryl, and i usually take 1 or 2 hydroxyzine a day. i also am taking asprin at night...and i'm waking up to a LOT less inflammation. I've been off bp for days and days now. irritation i was experiencing is gone (guess i figured that out!) my skin feels a bit itchy but i think its just getting used to the no bp thing.

my immune system seems pretty good and my appetite strong. In fact the antihistamine use is helping my anxiety disorder quite a bit as well.

i have maybe a few tiny pinprick spots near my chin but honestly..you have to look at them in a magnafier and i can't feel them when i wash my face.

so far so good.

also winter in canada = good for my skin very drying and the cold brings inflammation WAY down.

I have been very interested in this histamine/acne connection and I found a seperate thread with a link to another message board which an extensively detailed explanation of this histamine theory. It contains pages and pages of symptoms ( many of which I am a dead ringer for) and proposed treatments.

Some of the treatments discussed are implementation of a low histamine diet and various supplements like calcium, linoic acid and a few others with the hopes that these changes could be used long term without the need for an antihistamine.

So far, I have to say this regimen is doing wonders for me. I am feeling so much better everyday. Definitely give it a good read.

Here is the link: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthr...667&page=1&pp=5