Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kellsywells

Holisic approach might be better!!

I know some say that there is no link between diet and the acne but that cant be true!! That would suggest that nutrients from food had no effect on our bodies. We are what we eat at the end of the day. I know it is probably not the cause but it is definately a huge contributory factor!!

Read the thread about poor people and great skin, its true!! Whilst living in Asia I spent 5 years with the very rich and the very, very poor. Those who could afford the modern luxuries of fast food and snacks had a tendency towards bad skin. You never saw a poor person with bad skin, I mean never!!!

In this age we all eat too much! I too am guilty of eating when I am not really hungry, I eat because it is diner time as apposed to listening to my body and feeding it accordingly!! We all do it!! Snacking at the cinema, chocolate bar when driving to work, cookies before bedtime etc.

Whilst there are definate causative agents at work with our skin, hormones, p.acnes, mites(maybe), histamine levels etc, we need to take a holistic approach and modify our life style in order to flush out the root cause. Otherwise all we are really doing is treating and suppressing the symptopms of something that may run much deeper.

For example, if you are cold outside you turn up the heating or put on more clothing, it might make you warmer in the short term but it doesnt change the fact that it is cold outside and when you take off those clothes you will still be cold!! Im not suggesting that you can change the fact that it is cold outside but at least you know why you are cold and you know why you are doing what you are doing to stop being cold!!

The same applies with acne, its no good just using topical creams and drugs to suppress sebum production and kill bacteria because at the end of the day we will be dependant on these drugs to suppress bodily functions that are perfectly natural without knowing what made them mess up in the first place.

Chinese medicene would veiw acne as a blockage in energy somewhere else in our system, lets find that blockage!! It could be different for everyone but if we work together we can help each other on a case by case basis rather than argueing what products are best and who should be trying this and that! ITs pointless!

We need to go back to basics and put our daily lives under the microscope. What our stressors are, what our diet is, how happy we are in general life, what we want to be doing and what (apart from clear skin) will make us happy! Then what we can do in order to achieve this!! This is about having some life control, with control we can start to rebuild the areas that are bringing us down rather than focussing on them.

I will start, all is not well up here on Waltons Mountain!!!!

I eat far too much Carbs, the refined type!!

I snack on chocolate when I am on my PC!!

I am a vegetarian who does not eat a varied enough diet, I stick to the same things untill I am bored and then move on!!!

I am obsessed with the state of my skin!!

I am a recovering bulimic - odd relapse but I am getting better! :sick:

I find it difficult to be in a large social situation because I feel that people judge me, although I am fine with guys, I find girls intimidating.

I have just learnt to control my anxiety attacks,

I want to succeed academically to prove to everyone that I am not a dizzy blonde!! But I am proving to everyone else - Why dont I just suit myself? stupid or what!!

I colour my hair - chemicals probably dont help my skin!

I have nervous energy that is taken out on my skin in terms of the 3 P's (picking poking and playing) :wall:

I am one great big stress/worry/anxiety bag waiting to explode!!!!!!!

My dream is to work with and train horses

This is just the tip of the ice berg guys, but Im sure you are getting what I mean. There are so many areas of my life that could be contributing to holistic wellbeing!! I am starting to rebuild them one by one!! Start by giving yourself a dream and going for it

Think about it - If you were truely happy with who you were with, who you are, what you were doing with your life - would you worry about your skin - no you wouldnt because everything else would be in balance! Just like when you were a kid!!!

Lets do this together :wub:

I really really liked your posts! :angel:

Personally, I feel nutrition is one of the most basic but significant aspects relating to our health.

This is where we get a large part of the nutrients we need to survive. It's true that if foods can have healing or nutritional values for our bodies, it would also be true that the wrong foods can rob us of those same nutrients, especially if we do not consume enough of the good foods to begin with. There have been many studies demonstrating the link between certain foods/dietary lifestyles and disease.

I am personally very interested in Ayurveda and oriental medicine, because I appreciate the holistic approach. I feel it's important to look at the whole, and not just a part. I like how it takes a person into account and their individuality, and also emphasizes prevention and overall health and doesn't only treat symptoms when they arrive or overlooks addressing the cause of a particular problem. I like how it looks at the basics - food, exercise, sleep, etc. - and other more specific areas.

I think, in relation to acne, that it is important to try to pinpoint the cause before attempting to treat the problem, but for many of us, the initial thought is to treat it, and as quickly as possible. The downfall is then when we try so many things that are not successful. If we had a better understanding of the cause and our own bodies, it might be so much easier, but I know this takes time and effort. Perhaps for some, though, it really is just an external reaction and topicals are sufficient, but I tend to believe that there must be an underlying imbalance somewhere in almost all cases, and that topicals can (and should) assist in the healing process but do not solve the true root of the problem but rather suppress the symptoms, therefore it would be necessary to rely on them consistently.

We often wonder what THE cause is and what THE treatment or cure is, but I believe there is not only one of each. We are unique, and though there may be common denominators at times, our causes of acne or other health troubles may not be the same, which explains why a specific treatment does not work for everyone. The reactions to various treatments may also be different.

The more we achieve balance, the better we will feel, and maybe our skin will be healed as well.

I have tried examining what my stresses in life are, and am trying to work on them. I'm trying to better myself as a person, and also work on small but important changes in my daily routine to improve my health.

I find working on myself and setting goals (even small ones), helps a lot.

It's funny because I am very interested in nutrition but find it one of the most difficult aspects to improve, but I hope to one day reach where I would like to be in this area. :angel:

Thank you for sharing everything you did. It's great that you recognize the areas in your life that are holding you back.

I am a recovering bulimic - odd relapse but I am getting better! :sick:

Thanks for your reply, I found it really supportive!

I agree with you about girls and their insecurities! People are products of their environments and attack is just a modified version of defense, so a bitchy person is usually reacting to a stressor that they may be particularly sensitive to themselves. We tend to see our own faults in others!!!

I was wondering, what did you find helped your anxiety attacks?

Hey kellsywells, very well said :clap: I also ride and train horses, and plan on doing it professionally in the future! :cool:

Hey kellsywells, very well said :clap: I also ride and train horses, and plan on doing it professionally in the future! :cool:

Sarah

Best of luck chick!! It something I always wanted to do and then whn I hit 18 I went off on a different tangent. So glad I have come back to follow the right path!! Nothing fullfills me like this does!!

:angel:

I cant believe 84 people have viewed this thread and only 2 people have bothered to post!!!! That is sad! This is just as important as filling your bodies full of chemicals guys - more so in fact!!

The right path is right! Riding is not only my career choice but my solace...when everything's too much, off I prance to the barn and I can forget about everything :)

I know some say that there is no link between diet and the acne but that cant be true!! That would suggest that nutrients from food had no effect on our bodies. We are what we eat at the end of the day. I know it is probably not the cause but it is definately a huge contributory factor!!

While it's certainly true that diet affects health, there haven't been any studies which strongly linked diet with acne. Perhaps it's a contributing factor, but it seems the primary factor (in many/most people) is genetic. There are many people who eat junk that have acne, true, but there are also so many people who eat junk than don't have acne.

Assuming that diet is a contributing factor. But if so, perhaps it's like male pattern baldness. A really poor diet might contribute to a more quickly receding hairline (as might stress, etc), but in the end, if a guy inherits the trait, he's going to lose his hair.

Of course, it's entirely possible that it's not a significant contributing factor at all, more like sickle cell anemia *, where diet affects general health, but can't really affect the actual disease itself at all.

*I'm not trying to trivialize sickle cell anemia, here. It's just a handy example.

edit: agh, typos

I totally agree with you. It makes sense that the way people eat will affect how bad their acne is. I also think that it has something to do with too many toxins and hormonal imbalance and i found this website that explains it all called acneyoda.com but its soo much reading i dunno how im gonna do it