Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Giving this regimen a shot. My skin is very pale and acne/red spots show up pretty badly. I have really dry, flaky skin but also mild acne - combination skin is really frustrating, as I am always wanting to moisturize more but not wanting to cause any breakouts.

About six months ago my acne got worse, which is odd considering I'm 22 years old. It especially flared up on my forehead and I also break out here and there on the rest of the T-zone.

DAY THREE:

I've already noticed a slight difference. I've been pretty generous with the BP cream as my skin can tolerate it pretty well, although I have some slight itching for about a half hour after application. I haven't developed any new pimples and my forehead is healing up nicely, though it still has around 10 small healing red spots. My big challenge will be to keep from picking at my skin, as I can be obsessive-compulsive about it if I look in the mirror for too long.

Using:

Cetaphil Daily Cleanser

Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer

Burt's Bees Royal Jelly Eye Cream

Neutrogena Microdermabrasion Kit

The microdermabrasion helps a lot with the flakes and doesn't irritate my skin. I'm using the eye cream because the Aveeno moisturizer seems to irritate my eyes. I need to pick up a different moisturizer next time I'm out.

DAY FOUR:

Forehead still healing. It's amazing that I haven't gotten any new pimples there yet. I did get a small pimple next to my nose and I can feel one forming under the skin on the bridge of my nose.

DAY FIVE:

Skin's getting flaky. Going to use the microdermabrasion kit tonight - I tend to use it once or twice a week just to clear up the flakes. I tried really hard to avoid my eyes when applying BP and moisturizer today, just using the eye cream in that area, but this time it was my cheekbones that got red and irritated. It gets pretty unbearably itchy right after application. I'll have to avoid the cheekbones; I guess - not a real problem area for me anyway.

Pimple next to the nose is almost invisible, but I got one between my eyes. Also am getting some on my jawline - I haven't been good about washing and putting BP on that area and I'll have to start doing that tonight.

DAY SIX:

Used the microdermabrasian this morning. I've never seen my skin flake so bad. Skin not looking so hot. Five red and noticeable pimples, two of which have been there since before I started the regimen but haven't gotten angry-looking until now. Plus the ones on my jawline, which have shrunk a bit since I started attacking them with a hot washcloth and BP.

DAY SEVEN:

I was bad and picked at my forehead last night. It has had these small bumps under the skin forever and I wish they would go away. Of course, I didn't make things any better.

Inflamed pimple above my eyebrow, and a large one under the skin on my chin.

Skin is all flaky. Exfoliated with a wet washcloth. I know I'm not supposed to, but I can't wear makeup without exfoliating and I can't go without makeup right now.

You're using products that aren't part of the regimen. The regimen will NOT work for you if you don't stick tightly to Dan's equation.

Gentle Cleansing + Plenty of 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
+ Adequate Moisturization = Clear Skin

If the regimen still isn't working for you after ATLEAST half a year or more then you can try adding new variables into the equation. Skin is a process and nothing will happen just overnight. At the best it will take atleast 6 months to see a good result.

The microdermabrasion is out after I did more reading and decided it wasn't helping matters any. When I use a wet washcloth to exfoliate I do it very lightly.

The eye cream isn't applied to problem areas; I don't get acne on my eyelids. The moisturizer I'm using is oil-free and non-comedogenic as well.

"The regimen will NOT work for you if you don't stick tightly to Dan's equation. "

Wow. That's a pretty universal statement, and one that I'm sure could be proved false in many cases. I'm adapting the regimen to my terms. If it doesn't work, I will change my approach. In the meantime, I will cease posting here since i'm OH MY GOD not following it exactly.

Sorry If i seemed a little harsh.

However the regimen will not work if you do no adhere to it as it will not be the regimen. Dan has asked me to make sure that people are sticking to the regimen and have given it a considerable amount of time before playing with variales in the regimen.

Dan and myself included have been fighting acne a long time, we know what will work and what will not work. A lot of people are not using the regimen correctly and then complain that it's not working for them.

Sorry to have responded in a defensive manner, but I did not start this log to be patronized. I understand that you know what works for YOUR skin, but my skin is not yours. Tips are appreciated but patronizing responses are not. Also, I am not complaining. I am tracking my progress, which includes good days and bad days.

I'm starting this back up. I like being able to read back and know how much I've improved.

DAY 26:

Have not used microdermabrasion, but I do exfoliate with a wet washcloth from time to time. Sorry religious regimen followers, I'm not bending on that one. I swapped the Neutrogena BP for Dan's gel (which is fantastic).

Switching to Dan's gel caused me to revisit the whole sunburned, red, itchy phase that I thought I was past. I think it's because the gel is easier to layer, so you can put more on. It's okay though; my skin only reacts for 30-60 minutes after application, then it goes away.

I had a mild breakout about five days ago, but I still feel great about my skin. I'm confident that in the long run, my skin will clear up - I've already made good progress. One of my main problems used to be picking - I picked at my skin relentlessly, and made pimples way worse than they had to be. I would spend 15 minutes in front of the mirror picking at my skin some nights. Now I have so few pimples that I can't find anything to pick! Even the blackheads on my nose have abated to a tolerable level.

Only two active pimples right now - one at the top of my forehead, one on my chin. They're still forming under the skin and haven't come to a head - I'm hoping if I zap them with enough BP, they may go away before it comes to that.

Still have red marks, but they will fade with time.

My brother asked me for acne advice and I got him a tube of Dan's gel. His acne is hardly noticeable, but he seems to be a little self-conscious about it. Hope it works for him as well as it is for me.

DAY 33:

Had to stop putting BP on all areas except my T-zone as my skin was flaking very badly. I'd been putting BP under the right side of my jaw on a bad acne breakout and the skin there literally felt like crocodile scales, and you could see it too. White flakes were becoming visible around my mouth, on my cheeks and on the sides of my face.

So for the past five or so days I've stopped and have been exfoliating and moisturizing like mad. My skin is FINALLY getting back to normal.

Skin still looks great. My skin hasn't looked this good in a long time, possibly years. My forehead is still slightly problematic - the visible pimples are gone but there are still pimples lurking beneath the skin, apparently, as pus comes out from several spots if picked (sorry to be gross). I don't care too much as long as you can't SEE the pimples; there is no redness, but it looks a tad bumpy. I'm putting extra BP on that area as it doesn't flake much.

DAY 40:

I've changed my products to:

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash

CSR BP Gel

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Sensitive Skin (without SPF)

I live in Alaska and the winter is really drying out my skin, even with the gentle cleansers my skin is still tight after washing. I switched to a moisturizer without SPF since we only have four hours of daylight right now, and the sunscreen irritates my skin.

Skin looks good, the red marks on my forehead are still fading gradually and I think the bumps have gone down some too. Unfortunately, I did get a big pimple above my right eyebrow that I picked, and now it's going to scab. I also have two small cysts, one on the right side of my chin and one under my jaw. I've been putting extra BP on them and they're shrinking.

I'm still really dry and flaky all over my face, despite the fact that I've limited the BP to my T-zone. I think when I put moisturizer on, it spreads the BP around and that might be why it's still getting flaky.

Not sure if I like the new moisturizer, it doesn't seem to moisturize as well as the Aveeno did but it still makes my face look greasy. Hmm.

if you are having alot of trouble with dryness, you might consider using the Cetaphil cleanser (in the bottle). A few people who have really dry skin use it and really like it. As for moisturizer, Complex 15 gets good raves too. I know it isn't always easy to find products in certain areas, just giving you some ideas.

good luck.

if you are having alot of trouble with dryness, you might consider using the Cetaphil cleanser (in the bottle). A few people who have really dry skin use it and really like it. As for moisturizer, Complex 15 gets good raves too. I know it isn't always easy to find products in certain areas, just giving you some ideas.

good luck.

Thank you for the suggestions :) I used Cetaphil cleanser for about a month and it dries me out too. I think there's just no way of getting around the effect of these Alaskan winters. I'll look for Complex 15 too, does it have AHA? I've been considering AHA but think it might irritate my skin too much.

did you try the no water way of using cetaphil? If you wipe it off instead of rinsing it off it doesn't make your skin get so tight.

I understand what you are going through with the flaking. The CSR cleared me up really nicely but I had chronically flaking skin on the lower half of my face, which is normally dry.

A combination of things have reduced the flakes completely, I now use an AHA after moisturising (I had to really slowly build up tolerance because it really stung initially, so I could only put tiny amounts on. It also used to make my face go red). I also use an electric toothbrush to exfoliate in the evenings (I'm honestly not really sure if this helps, but it doesn't seem to hurt). And I have recently changed moisturisers to a thick body moisturiser (I only did this last week so can't really tell if my skin is going to react. We shall see. No more flakes tho so that is cool)

did you try the no water way of using cetaphil? If you wipe it off instead of rinsing it off it doesn't make your skin get so tight.

I understand what you are going through with the flaking. The CSR cleared me up really nicely but I had chronically flaking skin on the lower half of my face, which is normally dry.

A combination of things have reduced the flakes completely, I now use an AHA after moisturising (I had to really slowly build up tolerance because it really stung initially, so I could only put tiny amounts on. It also used to make my face go red). I also use an electric toothbrush to exfoliate in the evenings (I'm honestly not really sure if this helps, but it doesn't seem to hurt). And I have recently changed moisturisers to a thick body moisturiser (I only did this last week so can't really tell if my skin is going to react. We shall see. No more flakes tho so that is cool)

I haven't tried the no-water Cetaphil - I'm not sure I want to! Doesn't it leave residue on your face? Which AHA moisturizer do you use? Do you think it would work to start out with a lactic acid moisturizer and build up to AHA to reduce irritation?

I've been using a toothbrush to exfoliate, unfortunately. I really tried not to exfoliate at all for awhile, per the advice on this site, but I look awful if I don't. Fortunately my skin doesn't seem to react to exfoliation - I suspect because I have never had oily skin and so stimulating the oil glands doesn't do much to me. :)

DAY 43:

I've made so much progress, but it is still rather depressing to look in the mirror under the harsh fluorescent lighting at work. Suddenly all the red marks I don't see in the bathroom mirror at home become terribly visible. My forehead is still temperamental and bumpy, though dramatically more clear than it used to be. I suppose I'm a little discouraged because I thought for sure I'd be completely clear by now, since I started with only mild acne. Oh well, my day will come. :)

I ordered a Bare Escentuals mineral makeup starter kit. Liquid foundations only make my flakes more noticeable, so this may work better. Hopefully it will enable me to pretend my red marks don't exist. :pray:

I haven't tried the no-water Cetaphil - I'm not sure I want to! Doesn't it leave residue on your face? Which AHA moisturizer do you use? Do you think it would work to start out with a lactic acid moisturizer and build up to AHA to reduce irritation?

ya it does leave a residue, but consider the residue like a moisturiser. Try it and see what you think, you could always wash it off if you don't like it.

I started out with what I had in the cupboard, which was neutrogena healthy skin lotion. It has glycolic acid in it, which is an AHA. Actually I think lactic acid is an AHA also. Somebody told me they didn't think it was as strong as glycolic, so it would probably be a good thing to start with to build up tolerance. I had to mix some neutrogena in with my normal moisturiser because it stung so crazy and made me look like a tomato. I have since used up all of that lotion and now I am onto a 10% glycolic acid lotion that I bought at a horrendous price under duress from some beautician lady who thought that it would cause my enormous pores shrink down to pin point size. Didn't happen, but I feel better now that I am using it up. I put normal moisturiser on and then I put on the glycolic stuff.

What is interesting is that after I put it on I get these flakey things which I then brush off, I figure these are either a) the glycolic lotion and moistusier not liking each other and not sticking to my face or something, in which case it is a waste of lotion, or b) the glycolic stuff is exfoliating my flakey skin off. I prefer to think it is the latter. Just thought I would mention that because I thought it was weird. Doesn't do any harm tho, my face is nice and smooth and doesn't have any flakey bits anymore