Notifications
Clear all

Clear after 15 years...

MemberMember
(@clear-at-last)

Posted : 11/25/2005 5:39 pm

First of all, I want to say hi to everybody on this message board. I am new as a member, but I have visited the boards frequently the past year as a guest. By the way, sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm from Europe.

Now this is my story. I've had acne since the age of twelve. I'm now twenty seven, so that's fifteen years of pimples. My acne has always been quit severe. I've done a couple of Accutane cycles (in Europe it's called Roaccutane), but my acne didn't totally dissapear on the meds, and it came back full strength within two weeks of ending the Accutane.

Untill I got really, really fed up with the acne and started searching the web for information. I must say I found the most valiable information on message boards like these (in fact, I think Acne.org is the best). I think I found a solution for some people. The key I think is the whole alkaline-acidic diet thing. But most people don't diet correctly. Here's what I do. I got me 100% clear, however it may take a few days/weeks/months to work. First, I noticed my skin became less oily, then I noticed less new zits popping up, and finally NO new zits forming. It also ridded me of my ugly red marks, although that took a little longer.

My diet:

Of course the basics: NO SUGAR, only natural foods: whole grain bread, vegetables, fruits, patotoes, etc. But this is nothing new, I guess. I DO eat some meat/fish at dinner, but in moderation. I dont know about diary products, I never eat them anyway. But key is NO SUGAR, ALL NATURAL (and NO ALCOHOL, smoking and coffee in moderation)

Now in order to make my body SUPERALKALINE I use the following trick:

In the morning, BEFORE BREAKFAST, I squeeze a whole lemon and mix it with water (ratio 1:1 - nice taste :D ) After drinking that, I wait half an hour to 45 minutes before I eat breakfast (during that time I shower, read the papers, whatever) so it's digested purely. I do the same thing before going to bed at night(again on an empty stomach - several hours after dinner). I read some members on this board drink it with meals, but you just will not get the same results (I tried). Somehow, it is better absorbed by the body, I dont know how. If you do this, you will experience dry, cracked lips after a few days (like on Accutane), and skin becoming less oily. Keep up and you will get results. You need to use TWO lemons a day (in the beginning I even used three)

Also I try to eat as much alkaline foods as possible during the day: cucumber, raisins, oranges etc. I never eat processed foods (it causes hormone spikes ===> acne). If I get a craving for sugar, I eat fruits, fruits, fruits.

I wanted to be sure this works before I posted, so I tried it for some time, but during that time I didn't get a single pimple. Before doing this I had severe acne. Please try it, if it works tell other people about it. And no, I am not spamming lemons :D

Keep us posted with your progress.

MemberMember
(@annaa)

Posted : 11/25/2005 7:25 pm

I read some members on this board drink it with meals, but you just will not get the same results (I tried). Somehow, it is better absorbed by the body, I dont know how.

That soundAs wonderful! Con gratulations!!

Right now IAm also in on alkalizing my body. IAm trying right now not to drink anything (at all) at the same time as IAm eating. I wait 30 minutes before and at least an hour after a meal. ItAs disgussed a bit in this thread:

www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=72702

But IAm only on day two so I donAt know if it works yet. IAm just wondering, because you wrote that you didnAt drink your lemon-mix with meals, do you drink anything at the same time as you eat?

Thank you so much for telling us your story! IAm also from europe so I know about Roaccutan! If the thing IAm trying now doesnAt work I will try your method!

Anna

MemberMember
(@clear-at-last)

Posted : 11/25/2005 8:48 pm

Yeah, life's been one big party for me lately

If you want to alkalise your body I think you CAN drink with meals, as long as it are alkalising drinks, such as mineral water, green tea, orange juice (the real thing, most brands have added sugars, 100% pure is a little bit more expensive) etc. I usually drink things like that with my meals. For some reason I couldn't open the link you posted, so I dont know the theory behind that.

Actually, the lemon thing I am doing works alkalizing, so maybe you can do it at the same time. Hehehe, I dont want to sound to pushy, but I found something that works, and I want other people to feel as good as I do right now (*violin playing in background*)

How are you alkalizing? Do you eat "bad foods" or also "natural" like me? I found it impossible to alkalise eating junk, I dont know why that is. At work one guy thinks I have anorexia because I never eat candy and things like that anymore. Also this afternoon I was in the supermarket buying lemons (three cases) and the cashier asked me "What the hell are you going to do with all those lemons ?!" I mumbled something like "I put it in my tea" and fled the scene (I didnt want to go in depth in the lemon science LOL as there was a huge line behind me :D ) Ah, the adventures of a lemonjunkie

Keep me updated with your progress.

MemberMember
(@thaxceptional1)

Posted : 11/25/2005 9:01 pm

hey what would you consider processed foods?

and im going to try this, but some questions:how long did it take you to clear up from taking this diet, and i dont have much food supplys other then junk food so if going to a store what should i get.

MemberMember
(@gurra)

Posted : 11/26/2005 6:11 am

Clear at last //

Thank you for your post. Interesting.

Have you tried to just have the lemon before bedtime? And if so did it work then?

Lately I have been having some apple cider vinegar before bedtime. I have read it is also alkalizing for the body even if it is sour and it seems to be good for my stomache.

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/lifestyle...shi_vinegar.htm

MemberMember
(@kellsywells)

Posted : 11/26/2005 9:50 am

First of all, I want to say hi to everybody on this message board. I am new as a member, but I have visited the boards frequently the past year as a guest. By the way, sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm from Europe.

Now this is my story. I've had acne since the age of twelve. I'm now twenty seven, so that's fifteen years of pimples. My acne has always been quit severe. I've done a couple of Accutane cycles (in Europe it's called Roaccutane), but my acne didn't totally dissapear on the meds, and it came back full strength within two weeks of ending the Accutane.

Untill I got really, really fed up with the acne and started searching the web for information. I must say I found the most valiable information on message boards like these (in fact, I think Acne.org is the best). I think I found a solution for some people. The key I think is the whole alkaline-acidic diet thing. But most people don't diet correctly. Here's what I do. I got me 100% clear, however it may take a few days/weeks/months to work. First, I noticed my skin became less oily, then I noticed less new zits popping up, and finally NO new zits forming. It also ridded me of my ugly red marks, although that took a little longer.

My diet:

Of course the basics: NO SUGAR, only natural foods: whole grain bread, vegetables, fruits, patotoes, etc. But this is nothing new, I guess. I DO eat some meat/fish at dinner, but in moderation. I dont know about diary products, I never eat them anyway. But key is NO SUGAR, ALL NATURAL (and NO ALCOHOL, smoking and coffee in moderation)

Now in order to make my body SUPERALKALINE I use the following trick:

In the morning, BEFORE BREAKFAST, I squeeze a whole lemon and mix it with water (ratio 1:1 - nice taste :D ) After drinking that, I wait half an hour to 45 minutes before I eat breakfast (during that time I shower, read the papers, whatever) so it's digested purely. I do the same thing before going to bed at night(again on an empty stomach - several hours after dinner). I read some members on this board drink it with meals, but you just will not get the same results (I tried). Somehow, it is better absorbed by the body, I dont know how. If you do this, you will experience dry, cracked lips after a few days (like on Accutane), and skin becoming less oily. Keep up and you will get results. You need to use TWO lemons a day (in the beginning I even used three)

Also I try to eat as much alkaline foods as possible during the day: cucumber, raisins, oranges etc. I never eat processed foods (it causes hormone spikes ===> acne). If I get a craving for sugar, I eat fruits, fruits, fruits.

I wanted to be sure this works before I posted, so I tried it for some time, but during that time I didn't get a single pimple. Before doing this I had severe acne. Please try it, if it works tell other people about it. And no, I am not spamming lemons :D

Keep us posted with your progress.

This makes a lot of sense, am going out to but me some lemons!!!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@annaa)

Posted : 11/26/2005 11:40 am

Ok, I‚´m going to try again!

My Webpage

Hope it works now.

Right now I‚´m not trying to eat healthy. It‚´s a bit to hard at the moment and I‚´m living with my family so it feals wrong not to eat what they eat. Tried once to eat super healthy for about a month but it didn‚´t work at all. No diary, no grains and no suger at all.

I think the alkalazing thing with not drinking with your meals is that the liquid you drink dilutes the hydrochloric acid in the stomach and makes it less acidic. But when you drink before and after eating the liquid helps to create the acid. That‚´s one theory. But you might not need to do this because you‚´ve done such a great job to alkalize your body so when you eat and drink it‚´s probably acidic enough in your stomach. And I really like your way because you get really thirsty when you eat maby more then you would be if it wasn‚´t forbidden to drink, in a psychlogical way...

In the link I put in they mostley discuss taking pills with hydrochloric acid to alkalize the body. So that‚´s one more thery! :)

I understand that it was a bit ocuard (spelling?) to buy so many lemons. And it‚´s not like you want to say the real reason!! Mabey next time you could say that you work on a kindergarden or schoolkitchen or something like that! White lie!!

I‚´m gonna be back and tell you how it goes. I always get a bit down when I‚´m trying something new. Since nothing I tried has EVER worked I guess that‚´s what one part of me is expecting to happen and at the same time there‚´s that hope! Your story has given me hope :)

Ohh, I didn‚´t mean to put in the link as "My webpage". I did something wrong agan. The guy who started that thread is Healtdude! Sorry Healthdude if you se that! I must practise my computer skills a bit...

MemberMember
(@clear-at-last)

Posted : 11/26/2005 5:21 pm

thaxceptional1 with processed foods I mean anything that is (partially) made by man. Such as:

pasta, white bread (whole grain is ok, just not to much), soft drinks, ice cream, chocolate, cookies, sweets, noodles, alcoholic bevarages, etc. Also a lot of products have added sugars, I always check the label.

There is actually a lot of information on the internet about that, just search "alkalazing foods" or "acidifying foods" One list I found (amongst others):

Oops, a little bit long, but here it goes...

ALKALIZING FOODS

VEGETABLES

Garlic

Asparagus

Fermented Veggies

Watercress

Beets

Broccoli

Brussel sprouts

Cabbage

Carrot

Cauliflower

Celery

Chard

Chlorella

Collard Greens

Cucumber

Eggplant

Kale

Kohlrabi

Lettuce

Mushrooms

Mustard Greens

Dulce

Dandelions

Edible Flowers

Onions

Parsnips (high glycemic)

Peas

Peppers

Pumpkin

Rutabaga

Sea Veggies

Spirulina

Sprouts

Squashes

Alfalfa

Barley Grass

Wheat Grass

Wild Greens

Nightshade Veggies

FRUITS

Apple

Apricot

Avocado

Banana (high glycemic)

Cantaloupe

Cherries

Currants

Dates/Figs

Grapes

Grapefruit

Lime

Honeydew Melon

Nectarine

Orange

Lemon

Peach

Pear

Pineapple

All Berries

Tangerine

Tomato

Tropical Fruits

Watermelon

PROTEIN

Eggs

Whey Protein Powder

Cottage Cheese

Chicken Breast

Yogurt

Almonds

Chestnuts

Tofu (fermented)

Flax Seeds

Pumpkin Seeds

Tempeh (fermented)

Squash Seeds

Sunflower Seeds

Millet

Sprouted Seeds

Nuts OTHER

Apple Cider Vinegar

Bee Pollen

Lecithin Granules

Probiotic Cultures

Green Juices

Veggies Juices

Fresh Fruit Juice

Organic Milk

(unpasteurized)

Mineral Water

Alkaline Antioxidant Water

Green Tea

Herbal Tea

Dandelion Tea

Ginseng Tea

Banchi Tea

Kombucha

SWEETENERS

Stevia

SPICES/SEASONINGS

Cinnamon

Curry

Ginger

Mustard

Chili Pepper

Sea Salt

Miso

Tamari

All Herbs

ORIENTAL VEGETABLES

Maitake

Daikon

Dandelion Root

Shitake

Kombu

Reishi

Nori

Umeboshi

Wakame

Sea Veggies

ACIDIFYING FOODS

FATS & OILS

Avocado Oil

Canola Oil

Corn Oil

Hemp Seed Oil

Flax Oil

Lard

Olive Oil

Safflower Oil

Sesame Oil

Sunflower Oil

FRUITS

Cranberries

GRAINS

Rice Cakes

Wheat Cakes

Amaranth

Barley

Buckwheat

Corn

Oats (rolled)

Quinoi

Rice (all)

Rye

Spelt

Kamut

Wheat

Hemp Seed Flour

DAIRY

Cheese, Cow

Cheese, Goat

Cheese, Processed

Cheese, Sheep

Milk

Butter NUTS & BUTTERS

Cashews

Brazil Nuts

Peanuts

Peanut Butter

Pecans

Tahini

Walnuts

ANIMAL PROTEIN

Beef

Carp

Clams

Fish

Lamb

Lobster

Mussels

Oyster

Pork

Rabbit

Salmon

Shrimp

Scallops

Tuna

Turkey

Venison

PASTA (WHITE)

Noodles

Macaroni

Spaghetti

OTHER

Distilled Vinegar

Wheat Germ

Potatoes DRUGS & CHEMICALS

Chemicals

Drugs, Medicinal

Drugs, Psychedelic

Pesticides

Herbicides

ALCOHOL

Beer

Spirits

Hard Liquor

Wine

BEANS & LEGUMES

Black Beans

Chick Peas

Green Peas

Kidney Beans

Lentils

Lima Beans

Pinto Beans

Red Beans

Soy Beans

Soy Milk

White Beans

Rice Milk

Almond M

Sometimes the lists differ a little bit. Especially on olive oil, coffee, some diary products and nuts the jury is still out. Sometimes they are listed as acidifying, sometimes as alkalizing. I try to stay away from them to be sure. So my diet consist mainly of fruits, vegetables, patatoes and whole grain bread. Jummy but it's a small price to pay for clearing up acne, I think.

But I didnt get the best results just eating a clean diet. The trick to become real alkaline is to drink lemon juice on an empty stomach twice a day.

Gurra, I didnt try drinking only once a day. I am too scared the acne will come back, especially since it's fiiiiinaaaaaallllllyyy gone. I didn't get the same results with apple cider vinegar, but we are all different. Maybe it will work for you. Just drink it on an empty stomach, so your body absorbs all of the alkalizing goodies

Yeah, I know what you mean Annaa, I have the same problem at work. Everybody's eating pie and sweets and chocolate all day, and I am eating bananas, oranges and salades. But you know, they dont have to walk around with acne all day long if I eat junk, so I think it's my business what I put into my body.

BTW, can you get away with junk food? It always made me break out.

I felt real dumb bying those lemons. The bad thing was, the cashier had some acne herself, but I didn't want to say I used it for MY acne because I thought she may think I was trying to diss HER because of her acne - can you follow me? Nevermind I can't either

MemberMember
(@annaa)

Posted : 11/26/2005 5:38 pm

Yes I understand. In the beginning when I had much acne I was so sensetive to comments about acne. It didnAAt even have to be a coment about me. If I read a good book and suddenly there was something about someone having acne (never the main caracter of course...) I got really depressed. IAAm not like that anymore but you never know how someone might react...

IAAm not sure if bad food breakes me out. But those weeks I ate well I didnAAt se any results and I donAAt get those next day outbreak like many people get if theyAAve eaten hamburgers and icecream the day before. My pimples are more constant, except for cystic acne which I have some weeks in the month. But remeber that I still have acne so I havenAAt found what breaks me out and not yet.

Are you sure that you canAAt eat worse? I mean if you still had acne when you didnAAt do the lemon drink but ate well. Does the pimples come back if you still do the drink but eat bad? Oh, and one more thing! Did you have the same rutin with the apple cider vinager as the lemon drink? Take it on empty stomach in the morning and all that....?

Anna

MemberMember
(@heymikey)

Posted : 11/26/2005 8:11 pm

Hi! Is it possible for you to do a pH acidity test to see if you're really alkaline and then post the result here?

MemberMember
(@tannoyred)

Posted : 11/27/2005 7:17 am

i remember when i started drinking lemon water i would squeeze pretty much a half to a whole lemon in water. now after a few days of this, without been too graphic lol i felt like i was pissing razor blades and my groin area hurt badly! i assume it was just too much acid to take a one time. you sure this is hurting guys? lol

MemberMember
(@kt)

Posted : 11/27/2005 1:39 pm

Ooh, I'm going to try this too!

So what foods CAN'T you eat? I know there's sugar, but what else? Is alcohol allowed, as I'm not sure I could go without (I'm not an alcoholic, honestly!)

MemberMember
(@clear-at-last)

Posted : 11/28/2005 8:54 am

Drinking lemon juice is the main part of my routine, but I think eating clean also helps. Last year, after cleaning up my diet, I noticed some improvements. I wasnt however untill I started drinking lemon juice that I cleared up totally. I tried using apple cider vinegar the samen way as lemons, but it didnt work that well. But maybe it will work for you, who knows? Give it a try.

I will see if my local pharmacist sells pH acidity tests. If so, I will test my own urine. I am kind of curious to the results myself. Tomorrow I'll go to the pharmacy.

KT, alcohol isnt allowed, I'm sorry. I really disliked that part of my diet too, but I tried to stick to my diet. When my acne cleared up, I was happy that I did. Now that my acne is gone, I can have an occasional drink. In fact, last night I had a glass of whisky - my first alcoholic beverage in 5 or 6 months But especially in the begin you need to lay of the booze, that is untill you are totally clear.

The foods that you cant eat are on the list, too. It starts right under "acidifying foods" "fats and oils". When you read the list quickly, you think all these foods are alkalizing, but "fats and oils" and everything after that are acidifying foods. I'd search other lists. One list doesn't cover all foods. Maybe I'll post some later on.

Drinking a lot of lemon juice can cause some discomfort. I heard more people have an aching groin after taking a piss. I hate to admit it openly, but I experienced some itching after taking a s**t

MemberMember
(@annaa)

Posted : 12/04/2005 4:18 pm

Hi again Clear at last!

If your still there I have one more question. IAAve been a bit nervous about trying your regimen since you wrote that you got very dry skin and cracked lips. I have very dry and flaky skin already even thoght I have acne. So IAAm wondering did it get better after a while with the dryness?

Anna

MemberMember
(@snowy)

Posted : 12/04/2005 6:46 pm

Hi,

I have a question about the dry lips as well. When I first started drinking the lemon juice I noticed my lips would go dry and I would feel thirsty but I never knew why. It doesn't happen anymore even though I still take 1 lemon a day but what is the cause for this?

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@annaa)

Posted : 12/04/2005 7:45 pm

Hi,

I have a question about the dry lips as well. When I first started drinking the lemon juice I noticed my lips would go dry and I would feel thirsty but I never knew why. It doesn't happen anymore even though I still take 1 lemon a day but what is the cause for this?

Thanks.

Hi Snowy!

Now I have a question for you! Has the lemon helped some with your acne-problem?

Anna

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/04/2005 8:35 pm

I always thought oranges and lemons were acidic foods.

MemberMember
(@snowy)

Posted : 12/05/2005 12:50 am

Hi Annaa,

I think the lemons do help. I started taking the juice of a whole lemon first thing in the morning with two glasses of water (1/2 lemon in each glass) more to cleanse my liver than anything else. I have also changed my diet alot so cannot say that lemons on their own will rid the acne but I am convinced that they help because of their many health benefits. I don't understand why it made me feel more thirsty at first so am hoping someone will have the answer to that. The idea of alkalizing the body to help combat acne is new to me but I guess that's another good reason for lemons that I wasn't even aware of. The combination of no Dairy and no sugar has been the most help to me. Also if I eat chocolate I am sure to break out whether I drink th juice of the lemons or not.

MemberMember
(@clear-at-last)

Posted : 12/05/2005 11:16 am

I noticed the same thing. I had very dry lips, too and I was also a little thirsty. This is because your body is turning alkaline (side effects). The very same thing happens when you are using Accutane, so I suspect they work via the same mechanism. After a while, the thirst disappeared, but the dry lips are still there, although a not as bad as before. You are right about the chocolate, Snowy. You can drink all the lemons in the world, but you also have to eat a clean diet. Are you really clearing up now? I hope so.

DejaClaireVoyant, a lot of people think lemons and oranges are acidic, because they have an acid taste to them. Once in the body, however, they turn (highly) alkaline.

MemberMember
(@snowy)

Posted : 12/05/2005 4:12 pm

I don't have dry lips or feel thirsty anymore. I drink at least 2 litres a day so maybe that helps? Also I only have the one lemon in the morning (maybe the 2 make you more dry?). Yes I have managed to become clear with my change of diet + lemon juice and vit supplements.

Annaa, if you feel you want to try it out why not just start with 1/2 a lemon in the morning for a few days then increase it to 1 whole lemon and if you really want to up it to 2 lemons(one in the morning and one at night). Personally I am happy with just the one but do have more sometimes. It really does help with the skin and if you have it on an empty stomach, it helps clean the liver.

I first noticed the benefits of lemons for acne when I got sore throats because I would have at least one or more lemons a day with hot water and a bit of honey (and 1g of vit c powder) and noticed that my skin ALWAYS cleared up. However, when the sore throats would go, I'd stop the lemon juice + vit c and the acne would come back. That was before I knew that lemons were good for acne. After reading on this board how lemons have helped so many people I am diligent to keep it up and always drink my lemon in the morning.

MemberMember
(@lifenacne)

Posted : 12/05/2005 6:01 pm

Totally true , i have tried this before , for 2 months i had severe acne but now i get 1 or 2 i have totaly clear face now , and now that i stopped taking it , i get pimples once in a while , again the trick is to just take one before meal and wait an hour or so then same for nite,,, i didnt share this bcoz i wasnt sure that it was helping me because i was taking some other stuff at the same time...

MemberMember
(@turista)

Posted : 12/08/2005 4:23 am

How did you get on with the pH tests ? From what I've read you need to test urine and saliva first thing in the morning, and then late in the day, over several days to build up a good picture of the overall body pH.

Ultimately it's the blood pH that probably matters most, bit I haven't figured out how to test that ... yet.

I will see if my local pharmacist sells pH acidity tests. If so, I will test my own urine. I am kind of curious to the results myself. Tomorrow I'll go to the pharmacy.

MemberMember
(@snowy)

Posted : 12/08/2005 6:08 am

This blood PH thing is new to me. Can someone tell me how it effects acne?

MemberMember
(@lifenacne)

Posted : 12/08/2005 8:11 am

yes i would like to know about pH level also .

I have been doing this regimen , for 3 days now and for me drinking a lemon juice early in the morning is impossible , i throw up all the time , it just feels like throwing up after having a glass of lemon juice without anything , early in the morning , has anyone else noticed that?

MemberMember
(@clear-at-last)

Posted : 12/08/2005 3:52 pm

I had to work late a lot this week so i didnt have a change to buy a pH test yet (pharmacies in Holland are open till 5 pm) I will try to do it tomorrow during my lunchbreak if I get the chance.

Yes, pH plays an important role in acne - and other diseases like depression, cancer, etc. pH has to be high to prevent you from breaking out. Low pH causes acne.

Drinking lemon juice is real nasty in the beginning, but I got used to it. No pain, no gain, as they say.