Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
(Username)

Isotretinoin topical..?

I've completed an entire course of Accutane about a month ago. Similar to everyone, I was left with (mild) red marks and a few scars. Paid my derm a visit and she prescribed me some gel with an active ingredient of isotretinoin. She said this would greatly REDUCE scarring and red blotches.

Could anyone please help me out with what she says? Coz we all know derms are fucking retards sometimes. More like all the time hahaha

THANKS!

p.s. skin sucks - wish I was born a reptile

I think it was probably isotrex or isotrexin that you've been prescribed. Topical retinoids can help reduce the appearance of red marks as, like BFGUITAR said, it increases the skin refresh rate. This could help shorten its lifespan, but don't expect dramatic results. If you've finished tane hopefully you'll stay clear and in a few months all your red marks will have gone

I have mild-ish acne on my forehead and I'm on Isotrexin (gel) right now. I'm not using it for scarring or marks. (What's is this topic doing in this section anyhow?) Supposedly it has two active ingredients: 2% erythromycin + 0.05% isotretinoin. All I can say is that it's working for me. I haven't had big bumps in the last a month or so. I get a few very small ones here and there, but you would only notice if you're inspecting my face up close. Overhall, it's been a while since I had my forehead this clear of bumps. I have some scars/marks from previous active acne, but with time they will fade. I wished I had a camera to post some photos.

My local pharmacist tipped me on to Isotrexin. He is in his 20's I believe and used it himself, for acne he had on his back. He told me this is a one time deal. After I finish I could continue but with another gel that doesn't have one of the active ingredients. I don't remember which one now.

Prior to this I was on BP, which didn't do much for me. On the day he told to try Isotrexin, I was actually there to buy some more BP.

I usually apply Isotrexin once a day after I bathe. I let some time go by, then I put a small amout of store bought aloe vera lotion on my face. Lately after a let the Isotrexin sit for a while and right before I apply the lotion, I rinse my forehead with water to take off a small amout of residue the Isotrexin leaves on my face. Anyhow, I'm not even very good with regimens, sometimes I skipped a day or two, cos I'm lazy. Nonetheless it still works despite the skipping. Can't say the same for BP, which just didn't do much for me, maybe it does for others.

My 2c

i am also on Isotrexin and am finding it very useful. The only problem i have with it is that, as Snoxu says, it leaves a residue, so i can't apply make-up over it. I am not sure if Snoxu's idea of washing off this residue is good, it might just wash the lot off?? I'd say this gel is definitely friendly towards red marks, much better than bp, and for those who have a mixture of scars and active acne it's ideal. However it does not give swift results, you may have to wait 6 months for scars. I am currently alternating Isotrexin with copper peptides serum, which is having a good effect. Copper peptides has been proven to have a far stronger effect on collagen production than tretinoin, so if you've no active acne it could be better to try that one. Good luck.

The only problem i have with it is that, as Snoxu says, it leaves a residue, so i can't apply make-up over it.

Or much of anything else for that matter. After I let it sit, if I don't take the residue off first, whatever moisturizer/lotion I use will just smear the residue all over my forehead.

I am not sure if Snoxu's idea of washing off this residue is good, it might just wash the lot off??

I tried scrubbing it off with tissue or a towel, but found that just a light rinse with a small amount of water, and some blotting afterwards was much more effective in getting the residue off.

I can't say if this is ideal or not. I'm just too lazy to be doing something more elaborate to take the residue off. Hey, I'm a guy. Got have a quick fix :)

I'd say this gel is definitely friendly towards red marks, much better than bp, and for those who have a mixture of scars and active acne it's ideal. However it does not give swift results, you may have to wait 6 months for scars.

Is Isotrexin even a scar treatment? I'm using it for active acne. For active acne/bumps I found it to be an effective treatment. I didn't have to wait long for results. Within a month of use, maybe less, I started to notice my face clearing up. I'm must be somewhere on my second month. To be honest this has worked for me too well. I'm very pleased with the results. The only bumps I have now are a few very tiny ones. Isotrexin got rid of the big sore red bumps I use to have.

As far as scars/marks go, I'll wait for them to fade with time. My acne is mild-ish anyhow and I'm really more concerned with keeping active acne at bay.

I am currently alternating Isotrexin with copper peptides serum, which is having a good effect. Copper peptides has been proven to have a far stronger effect on collagen production than tretinoin, so if you've no active acne it could be better to try that one. Good luck.

Yeah, same here, i'm using it mainly for active acne, but it is far better for scars than bp, which prolongues red marks and does nothing for scars. As i say, it is not the strongest treatment for scars, copper peptides is stronger, but it does have some effect on them, and may be the best scar-treating option for those who are still acne-prone. It has taken me years to realise there is a cream to help scars and acne simultaneously, and i'm glad to have found it.