Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KT

Cleansing experts - please help!

Hi there

I was wondering if I could ask you guys for some help?...

I've been meaning for some time to try the cleansing thing but there's so much information on it it's a little overwhelming! And added to that, I have chronic fatigue syndrome and a history of thyroid illness so have to be careful to treat my body very gently. So I was thinking of starting with a gentle colon cleanse and came across this website. Any of you experts out there (and I know there are many on this board!), I'd be so grateful if you could take a look at it if you have a spare minute and tell me whether it looks any good??

The website is:

http://www.coloncleansing.co.uk/index.php

This is the introduction on their homepage:

Bioceutic's Compete Colon Cleansing Kit is based on the Robert Gray Intestinal Cleansing Programme. Robert Gray a leading nutrition counsellor (the Director of the Food for Health Institute, Professor of the American Association of Nutritional Consultants and the American Herb Association) believed that an effective intestinal cleansing Programme should take the minimal amount of time, should also be easy to use, without the need of fasting, enemas or other difficult procedures. He also noted the traditional intestinal cleansing programs did not correct the problem of lactobacteria depletion.

The aim of our programme is to gently clear out the intestine of waste products and to promote an environment for friendly bacteria to thrive and multiply in, faster than the cleansing process would cause them to be excreted. The advantages of this colon cleansing programme is that the whole digestive tract is cleaned and not just the large colon.

And these are the products in the kit:

Pysllium Husk , Acedophilus tablets, Kali colonite (special) tablets and Vitamin E.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be so much appreciated!!

Oh they're pretty erratic! It really varies - it's usually between 2 and 4 times a week, which I presume isn't all that great?...

Oh they're pretty erratic! It really varies - it's usually between 2 and 4 times a week, which I presume isn't all that great?...

You and me both!! As I understand (no expert by the way!!!) Psyllium husk and Vit E are definately 100% fine. Vit E has no toxic effects and is invaluable as an anti oxidant and psyllium husk, I think, is just I nice bulky fibery additive that assists in increasing bowel movements! (See didnt mention Poo once)

Best get some other advice on the other stuff though, or search it on google.com

xx

Thanks for your help! Yeah, I think the products look ok and i have done some searching but there's so much conflicting information, it gets quite confusing...

yeah, that's not good. ideal would be more like 2-3 a DAY, if you're eating 3 big meals daily.

just bulk fiber (like psyllium) alone right now would make things worse. so i wouldn't get that product. you need something that has fiber PLUS laxatives. it'd probably be a good idea for you to start with a bowel cleanser that has no fiber, like Oxy-Powder. then you can do something with fiber plus laxatives, like Colonix, for a month.

have you read about cleansing on www.askshelley.com?

Thanks, kaleidescope. So going straight to a product with psyllium husks will just make things worse? Even if it's taken with the kali colonite tablets?... (They apparently include Acacia Gum, Blessed Thistle, Butternut Bark, Clove, Corn Silk, Red Clover, Yellow Dock Root and Magnesium) ?

I was able to find oxy powder in the uk. So should I take that for a month and then move on to something else? Then only thing is I don't think colonix is sold in the uk - do you have any other suggestions or would the website I've mentioned in my first post be ok for this?

Thanks so much again. I really am a true beginner to all this stuff and it's so nice to have advice!

KT x

Thanks, kaleidescope. So going straight to a product with psyllium husks will just make things worse? Even if it's taken with the kali colonite tablets?... (They apparently include Acacia Gum, Blessed Thistle, Butternut Bark, Clove, Corn Silk, Red Clover, Yellow Dock Root and Magnesium) ?

the only laxative there is magnesium, but i don't think that's enough. it's good for fiber to be combined with laxatives like cascara sagrada, rhubarb, triphala, and herbs like slippery elm, marshmallow root, ginger. this is because when you first take bulk fiber, it strips off old mucous in your intestines, which is good, but the mucous being there makes things easier to pass. so in order to not get constipated when adding bulk fiber, laxatives/herbs are necessary.

I was able to find oxy powder in the uk. So should I take that for a month and then move on to something else? Then only thing is I don't think colonix is sold in the uk - do you have any other suggestions or would the website I've mentioned in my first post be ok for this?

you don't need to take Oxy for a whole month. if you do it while mostly fasting (which is best... that way it will get out OLD fecal matter instead of just what you're eating) then one week should be enough. let me warn you, though: you'll only be able to do Oxy-Powder if you're able to stay home for the entire time you're taking it.

you can actually just make your own fiber drinks (instead of Colonix). that's what i did. follow this recipe: http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=36#a9 but also add some laxatives to it. you can buy them seperately -- cascara sagrada pills, triphala pills, rhubarb tea...

i think there's a product called Agape Perfect 7 Cleanser, which i've heard is good. so if you'd rather save time and not have to make your own, you might want to get that product.

if you can find triphala, start taking it ASAP. it's the only laxative that strengthens your bowels.

Thanks again, kaleidoscope! I really like the look of that perfect 7 - it seems to have everything that you mention as important in it. Typically, I can't get it in the UK though!! so if I do make my own drink, should I take it for a week?

Also, I've found triphala - is that something you take for a short-term detox or do you take it permanently?

I hope you don't mind my bothering you with all these questions!... It really is helpful!

Thanks

Katie

PS I've just found a product available in the uk with these ingredients:

Psyllium husk 220 mg * Betonite clay 80 mg * Lactobacillus acidophilus 80 mg * Alfalfa 20 mg * Cascara sagrada 20 mg * Barberry bark 20 mg * Red raspberry leaf 20 mg * Oregon grape root 20 mg * Fennel seed 20 mg * Rhubarb root 20 mg * Cyenne 20 mg * Ginger root 20 mg * Garlic 20 mg * Burdock root 20 mg * Cloves 20 mg * Citrus pectin 20 mg * Organic wheat grass 20 mg * Buckhorn bark 20 mg * Black walnut husks 20 mg *

What do you think? I was trying to find one that was nearest to what you recommended as possible...

Thanks again, kaleidoscope! I really like the look of that perfect 7 - it seems to have everything that you mention as important in it. Typically, I can't get it in the UK though!! so if I do make my own drink, should I take it for a week?

take it for at least a month. your bowels should get stronger over time, and after a month you can see how you do without the fiber drink.

Also, I've found triphala - is that something you take for a short-term detox or do you take it permanently?

you can take large doses of it for up to a year. (and you need large doses to get a laxative effect; it's very mild.)

PS I've just found a product available in the uk with these ingredients:

Psyllium husk 220 mg * Betonite clay 80 mg * Lactobacillus acidophilus 80 mg * Alfalfa 20 mg * Cascara sagrada 20 mg * Barberry bark 20 mg * Red raspberry leaf 20 mg * Oregon grape root 20 mg * Fennel seed 20 mg * Rhubarb root 20 mg * Cyenne 20 mg * Ginger root 20 mg * Garlic 20 mg * Burdock root 20 mg * Cloves 20 mg * Citrus pectin 20 mg * Organic wheat grass 20 mg * Buckhorn bark 20 mg * Black walnut husks 20 mg *

What do you think? I was trying to find one that was nearest to what you recommended as possible...

a lot of people use bentonite clay for cleansing, but read this: http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=36#a7

i think you might be better off with flax over psyllium. if you want to make it more simple than the fiber drink recipe i showed you, just put a teaspoon to a tablespoon of ground flax seeds in 12 ounces of boiling water. let it sit for at least 20 minutes or so. drink that at night, and take some laxatives with it. it shouldn't be too hard to find a product that just has a combo of laxatives. health food stores should have some.

when you're trying to overcome constipation, you really have to watch what you eat. read these if you haven't already:

http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=36#a163

http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=45#a39

and don't worry about asking questions. i don't mind at all. :)

Thanks again, Kaleidoscope. My triphala has arrived, so I'm going to start with that and then add things in slowly, starting with the laxative type things

I've been reading your posts and I visited the www.askshelley.com website and I'm curious about it. Have either of you used this regimen, does it work or do you have to add other things you were talking about Kaleidoscope? :think:

I've been reading your posts and I visited the www.askshelley.com website and I'm curious about it. Have either of you used this regimen, does it work or do you have to add other things you were talking about Kaleidoscope? :think:

sorry, i'm not exactly sure what you mean. what regimen?

To anyone who really cares about their skin. This thread will save your life.

Cleansing = health and clear skin.

:)

Which thread? This thread? Do you mean that you agree with kaleidoscope's advice?

I'm now taking triphala but maybe not enough cos it hasn't yet had any effect... I'm also considering getting this product, based on kaleidoscope's kind advice :-)

Dr Schulze intestinal cleanse 1 and 2 at:

http://www.nutridirect.co.uk/body-care-detox.html

Any opinions?

Also, ozpower, are you clear?

Which thread? This thread? Do you mean that you agree with kaleidoscope's advice?

I'm now taking triphala but maybe not enough cos it hasn't yet had any effect... I'm also considering getting this product, based on kaleidoscope's kind advice :-)

Dr Schulze intestinal cleanse 1 and 2 at:

http://www.nutridirect.co.uk/body-care-detox.html

Any opinions?

i think that is one that shelley recommends. looks good.

KT - where did you get your triphala from, i'm also in the UK? Are you having good results with it?

Kaleidescope - i've bought some flax seeds, but how would i go about grinding them exactly? It wouldn't do to just eat them instead of the drink, i suppose? - Would you say that this drink plus some kinda ordinary laxative will be enough to clear the toxins out? How long would i need to do these for?

Kaleidescope - i've bought some flax seeds, but how would i go about grinding them exactly? It wouldn't do to just eat them instead of the drink, i suppose? - Would you say that this drink plus some kinda ordinary laxative will be enough to clear the toxins out? How long would i need to do these for?

I use a coffee grinder.

The fiber drink and laxatives should be done for about a month...although I wouldn't use senna every day for a month because it's very strong and can cause dependancy. Milder laxatives are okay to use for a month.

I don't know if that alone is enough. I would recommend salt water flushes -- I think you mentioned that you won't do enemas/colonics? All you have to do for salt water flushes is drink a bunch of salty water (recipe on Shelley's site). BUT they can only be done when you have very little or no food in you. So you would have to fast for a day or two, maybe take a laxative to make sure you eliminate everything...then do a SWF. Don't do this on a day you have to go out, though. If you don't want to do SWFs, maybe you should try Oxy-Powder if you can afford it.

Also, drink lemon and/or apple cider vinegar in water. Try to eat more fruit, too. Fruits are cleansing.

Right, I've ordered some Oxy powder now. I'm going to try the whole cleansing thing, then at least if it doesn't work I'll know i explored that option properly. So my plan is:

1) take Oxy powder for about a week

2)after that, eat a high fiber diet: prunes, apricots, apples, flax seeds

3) drink vinegar and lemon to start cleansing liver, also eat apples

4) do a liver flush by drinking olive oil with lemon juice OR drink carrot juice once a day for a week

5) take a little more Oxy powder to ensure the toxins released from my liver get out of my system

6) take a probiotic in case the Oxy powder has got rid of my good bacteria

Is this an adequate plan? Anything i've missed out? I suppose eating flax seeds really should be as good as drinking them ground, as they get ground up by my teeth anyway?

I know there is also kidney cleansing, but there doesn't seem to be any simple method. Also lymph cleansing, but again methods seem obscure.

Right, I've ordered some Oxy powder now. I'm going to try the whole cleansing thing, then at least if it doesn't work I'll know i explored that option properly. So my plan is:

1) take Oxy powder for about a week

2)after that, eat a high fiber diet: prunes, apricots, apples, flax seeds

3) drink vinegar and lemon to start cleansing liver, also eat apples

4) do a liver flush by drinking olive oil with lemon juice OR drink carrot juice once a day for a week

5) take a little more Oxy powder to ensure the toxins released from my liver get out of my system

6) take a probiotic in case the Oxy powder has got rid of my good bacteria

That all sounds good. But for number 4, start with the carrot juice. It cleans your liver AND bowels. In order to do the olive oil/lemon juice liver flush, you should be having very regular bowel movements first, so that when you do the liver flush, the toxins will move out quickly. Also, when you do a liver flush, Oxy-Powder is probably not enough to make sure that everything gets out quickly enough. Salt water flushes would be better. OR just do liver flushing the slow way ("morning oil cocktail") because then you don't have to do as much bowel cleansing with it, as long as your BMs are regular.

Is this an adequate plan? Anything i've missed out? I suppose eating flax seeds really should be as good as drinking them ground, as they get ground up by my teeth anyway?

Actually we can't grind flax seeds with our teeth! If you can't grind them, put them in water whole.

I know there is also kidney cleansing, but there doesn't seem to be any simple method. Also lymph cleansing, but again methods seem obscure.

For the kidneys, just make sure you drink enough water -- you don't need more than about half your body weight in ounces, but no less than 4-5 cups a day. There are a couple of things you can do for the lymphs, but to make it simple, just get some exercise, even if it's just walking.

But if i just swallow flax seeds in water whole won't i choke on them? Or does the hot water kinda dissolve them?

But i thought the Oxy Powder WAS meant to 'move things out quickly'?!

But if i just swallow flax seeds in water whole won't i choke on them? Or does the hot water kinda dissolve them?

They swell up if you put them in hot/boiling water for 20ish minutes.

But i thought the Oxy Powder WAS meant to 'move things out quickly'?!

Well...it does sort of... but it takes at least 12 hours to work, whereas salt water flushes take anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours. See, if you take the olive oil/lemon juice mixture at night, i don't think you can also take Oxy-Powder that night. You would have to wait until the next night, and that's too long. So you should do a SWF in the morning after the flush.

Hmm, have you ever done a salt water flush? It sounds like it might make me throw up!

I looked on the Ask Shelley website, it said to drink a 'quart' of salt water, any idea how many cupfuls that is?

Have you done such a liver flush yourself? Again, drinking all that olive oil sounds like it could just make me be sick.