Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rogerr

2nd time - gona stick with it

what's up acne.org viewers/readers/users? i'm going to post detailed information on how my regimen log is going in order to help other acne sufferers how my process is going to give them (hopefully) optimistic feedback on this regimen. First of all, some background information; i have VERY sensitive skin (at least i deem it sensitive), and on top of that, my skin is very light so any blemish will be TOTALLY noticable which, in turn, TOTALLY sucks! i'm in my first year at university currently and i've had acne since grade 9. FIVE YEARS!!! my acne SPAWNED on my forehead which was disgusting, currently my forehead is much better however little scars remain and now my acne has moved onto my cheeks but not in great numbers. i'd consider my acne to have been at the point of acne vulgaris at one point (for those who don't know what that is, it's REALLY bad acne with huge cysts) and eventually after using medication after medication (accutane, benzamycin, antibiotics, proactiv, etc.) my acne had whittled down to mild acne (mild acne meaning few comedones which are whiteheads/blackheads, and a bit more than few pustules which are basically the red marks left after you pop a whitehead) So i've tried dan's regimen once before and i must say my face reacted VERY heavily which is a good and bad thing at the same time. a good thing because i know that my face is reacting to it SOMEHOW, a bad thing because it reacted at how much i started with, lol. so in turn, my face turned REALLY red, and VERY crusty. i felt like i was wearing a hard covered mask basically, or that my skin on my face was turned into some alligator skin. however i did see DRAMATIC results in my skin being smoother but by NO means healed. i stuck to the regmien using cetaphil soap bar, PanOxyl 2.5% BP gel (water based gel) as well as Eucrein Original lotion which is nothing like the moisturizer that Dan recommends because it has no AHA which i am disappointed in, however it does get the moisturizing done although it does sting and create redness after applying BP. So i stopped eventually, getting lazy, and now my acne has returned in small numbers but nonetheless irritating and noticable. I look like i still belong in grade 10 because of my acne. However i am starting the regimen again with positive results and will update this journal regularly. So here's an outline of what has happened so far

Currently using : Aloe Vera soap, PanOxyl 2.5% BP waterbased gel, Eucerin Original lotion as well as Tea Tree Oil stick.

I started about 2 days ago with full application of BP because i thought my skin was used to it despite the break i went on, but i was wrong, so now here i am back in the alligator stage but not with such intensity, but extreme redness at some points. I've been using a Tea Tree Oil stick which i recently purchased (for 5$ canadian, not bad) and it does wonders on my skin, at least i think it does. after following dan's regimen but with my cheap products, i apply tea tree oil to my skin as a SPOT TREATMENT, and my blemishes slowly but surely fade away. although my skin is very hard, i feel the regimen is going well, my many blemishes on each of my cheeks are nowhere near to being totally gone, however i expect it to be gone in perhaps 2 weeks time with my use of tea tree oil. I am pretty hesitant about going outside though because my skin is so crusty i think it's noticable even though under some lights (orange based lights) i look perfectly normal. using this eucerin original lotion is a pretty bad idea, but it's the only moisturizer i currently have and i'm pretty strapped for cash (university life, lol) but it does moisturize, i think the only thing i have against it is the fact it containts isopropyl which probably doesn't do anything good for my skin, but i don't know. anyways, it really burns my skin and makes my skin look REALLLY REALLLLY REAaAAALLYY shiny!!!!! :| i look like i JUST dipped my face in vegetable oil after applying this lotion, that's how bad it is. but the shiniess EVENTUALLY subsides into slight shininess. anyways, so far the regimen is looking like it's starting to have positive results but i can't be sure yet. i plan on switching moisturizer to neutrogena's moisturizer, i have heard positive results from it, if anyone has used it in the past can you please reply and tell me if it's good or not? thanks. but besides all that, that's my post for today, i'll keep you all updated..

later days.

Hi Rogerr,

Thanks for the detailed information. From reading your description and others, I'm positive now that I haven nowhere near experienced the "hardening" that everyone keeps mentioning. On my seventh day now, and after experiencing some dryness in the first couple of days, I reduced usage of BP to once a day. Today marks my advent back into twice a day territory - the war zone!

If anything my moisuriser has been too oily, so won't bother recommending it. However, if you can't get hold of Dan's AHA Eucerin moisturiser, you might want to try this Complex-15 stuff. I've read a lot of rave reviews about it on this website from regimen followers. Apparently, it doesn't leave quite the same level of shine behind. Some people specifically prefer it to Neutrogena's moisturiser, which, they say, causes more redness or irritation.

Hey, thanks madhubala for the recommendation, i'll look into that moisturizer. anyhow, i'm in my evening of my 3rd day and i feel i MUST MUST MUST MUST enforce something very important that i think Dan forgot to emphasize on. ONLY APPLY BP GEL TO YOUR PROBLEM AREAS! NOT THE ENTIRE FACE! i'm not for CERTAIN for everyone but i'm POSITIVE that on my face, applying BP all over my face is a bad idea and creates intense drying in places that aren't even problematic. for me, my problem area currently is the cheeks and i started off by using BP all over my face and now, around my nose is REALLY flaking and hardened, so please please please be sure to apply BP only to your problem areas. i'm not sure if this advice is sound , i'd like to hear from Dan about this, but for me personally and maybe for some others, it may be a bad idea to apply BP everywhere. anyways, TEA TREE OIL IS AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT TO INVEST IN!!! i had a HUGE (i mean ENORMOUS... like horsefly-bite enormous lol) cyst just 3 days ago and now it's TOTALLY gone thanks to the combination of Dan's regimen and tea tree oil. i'm going to purchase the moisturizer that madhubala recommended and i'll keep you updated on that. so until tomorrow.

later days.

i found mine totally out of luck actually... i was getting a haircut and the salon also happened to have an area for waxing/facials/manicures etc. and the barber offered it to me for 5 bucks. i'm pretty sure you can find tea tree oil at any sort of cosmetics shop or a beauty salon. anyways, onto my progress with my regimen. unfortunately the BP gel did something HORRIBLE to my skin and that's dry it out to MAXIMUM state.... so dry in fact that i couldn't even smile without hurting my face. so i stopped for 2 days and visited the dermotologist who recommended clindamycin/BP 5%. in case you don't know, clindamycin is an antibiotic, so it basically just helps the BP a lot during it's progress. i found it EXTREMELY surprising that this new gel i got didn't even dry my skin as much as BP 2.5% did. :think: weird eh? anyways. i also bought the complex 15 moisturizer, which unfortunately (despite what others have posted) STUNG MY FACE HORRIBLY!!!! however all is not lost in my search for moisturizers. in my despair, i sort of found out a good way to moisturize by fluke. i went back to my Eucerin Original, but i poured it on THICK! so thick in fact that my entire face was white being covered in the moisturizer. i decided to let it sit like that. 10 minutes later i went into the washroom and looked at the mirror, and to my surprise :eh: my skin was left with a healthy glow... a lil bit greasy sure, but i took a towel and sort of patted away the grease and my skin looked totally normal... no redness, no stinging, nothing. anyways, this clindamycin/BP is definitely working, my blemishes are already almost gone :D ... still noticable but almost gone... and my dry skin still comes back after i wash my face, but that also is going away. it's pretty bad though because it's really cold up here in canada so that's definitely not good for my dry skin, but i'll manage. till next time acne.org peoples.

later days.

still using clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide 5%. if you have mild blemishes i recommend St. Ives Exfoliating Apricot scrub. these are the exfoliators that have those small little sand-sized beads that sort of scrub your skin. although some people (including me) think that these beads irritate your skin, to avoid this all you gota do is to remember to scrub this exfoliator VERY GENTLY! that way your skin isn't scrubbed TOO hard, but just enough to remove dead skin cells.

later days.

hey Rogerr, sorry that moisturiser didn't work out for you. Never tried it myself, but i suppose an ingredient reacted with your skin. There's no univesal holy grail I suppose?

i think some of the most common mistakes acne sufferers can do is to look up the internet on how to get rid of acne because those who write in forums such as these have different types of acne, and one treatment for someone who say has mild acne, will only irritate the skin of those who has acne vulgaris. SO! i've decided to write up a diagnosis for those willing to read::

acne vulgaris -- if you have LARGE cysts, including small whiteheads and/or blackheads (particularly cysts though) you have acne vulgaris. a sure sign to know when to see the dermatologist is if your face hurts when you touch your cysts. so i'll say again... IF YOUR CYSTS HURT WHEN YOU TOUCH THEM, SEE A DERMATOLOGIST IMMEDIATELY!!!!! ASK HIM/HER ABOUT DAN'S REGIMEN TO SEE IF IT IS RIGHT FOR YOU!! I think dan's regimen is great, but i also think it's more effective on those with mild acne. so, if you have acne vulgaris go see a dermatologist and he/she will probably recommend accutane... what will accutane do for you? IT WILL DEFINITELY NOT HEAL YOUR ACNE! it will (for some) heal your acne TEMPORARILY, however your acne will come back... (i should know, it happened to me)... although it'll come back, it will come back as mild acne. this may not seem all that great, but it's the greatest thing that could happen to you so far because now you can control your acne without hurting or irritating your face too much.

mild acne -- if you just got outa the stage of acne vulgaris, or if your one of the fortunate ones that never had to go through with acne vulgaris but still have several pimples on your face, you have mild acne and it can be controlled... although a dermatologist isn't ENTIRELY necessary, i suggest you see one anyways. the great thing about living in canada is you can see a dermatologist for free with our health plan :clap: so yay for canada. but if you're in the states, see a dermatologist.. it'll be well worth the money.

I HAVE MILD ACNE!!! SO THOSE WHO HAVE ACNE VULGARIS SHOULD TOTALLY DISREGARD MY POSTS BECAUSE I'M AFRAID THAT IT WILL NOT HELP YOU AND MAY EVEN IRRITATE YOUR ACNE TO AN EVEN WORSE EXTENT.

LATER DAYS!