Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
betty s

Dairy Causes Acne?

Has anyone heard that some doctors and scientists believe eating dairy products can accerbate acne? Has anyone tried going off dairy and had any success?

Guest james11

Yes dairy can exacerbate Acne. I observe a dairy, yeast, wheat, gluten and processed sugars free diet. I believe that all these things can cause many allergies. With skin being the largest organ, alot of these allergies will be evident precisely there.

Has anyone heard that some doctors and scientists believe eating dairy products can accerbate acne? Has anyone tried going off dairy and had any success?

I am vegan, but i started out just being vegeterian, this improved my weight and really decreased the oilyness of my skin, when I switched over to full vegan. I completly noticed my face changing, for the better.

check out a site called www.milksucks.com I think they have a acne section.

Yes dairy can exacerbate Acne. I observe a dairy, yeast, wheat, gluten and processed sugars free diet. I believe that all these things can cause many allergies. With skin being the largest organ, alot of these allergies will be evident precisely there.

My god! What do you eat? Chicken and veggies? Do you get cranky?

I am vegan, but i started out just being vegeterian, this improved my weight and really decreased the oilyness of my skin, when I switched over to full vegan. I completly noticed my face changing, for the better.

......no ..meat? :shifty: ouch

The regimen should keep you clear no matter what you eat if it worked for you initially.

I avoid dairy (for the most part, I know I've ate things that have had a small amount of milk in it) because I became lactose intolerant in my early teens. I use rick milk instead of milk and don't eat cheese at all.

I don't remember seeing any substantial improvement in my acne when I dropped 99.5% of dairy. I honestly wouldn't have cared then either way.

The regimen should keep you clear no matter what you eat if it worked for you initially.

I have never not been vegeterian my parents are vegeterian, well my mother is vegan and my dad is vegeterian. So its not something my body has ever known and I know for a certain fact after seeing my mother try and eat dairy after about 10 years of not, it did a number on her entire face and body. As well if something gets into my diet that contains milk or a dairy that I was not aware of if I can't tell by the taste and catch it, it shows up in my skin I can tell its oilier and my sweat will even smell different. I refuse to believe that a regimen will keep your skin clean if you arent concious about what you put into your body. Thats like saying you can eat all of the chocolate cake and fried chicken you want if you work out the same amount every day.

you could always go off dairy for three weeks and see. People's bodies respond to different things in different ways.

So its not something my body has ever known and I know for a certain fact after seeing my mother try and eat dairy after about 10 years of not, it did a number on her entire face and body.

She's probably lactose intolerant. I think it's much more common if you haven't had milk for a long time- a vegan would be especially prone.

The research on the milk connection is a bit suspect- they found a high correlation with skimmed and acne in the population, but much less with full fat and half fat.

To me that says that people drink milk more if they have acne because they think it's healthy- especially skimmed, not that skimmed milk causes acne. I mean, there's nothing in skimmed that isn't in full fat. (Unless milk fat reduces acne somehow? Butter=better acne??? Nah!)

There are suspicions that IGF-1 in milk could theoretically cause acne, but whether it actually causes acne is unclear, but lots of people will tell you that it does; but can't tell you how they know.

Still, if you're lactose intollerant or allergic to milk you need to stay clear.

I agree that in theory your skin/body should react to ones diet. That said, I've friends who drink loads, eat fast food daily and have perfect complexions... explain that *shrug*

I have never not been vegeterian my parents are vegeterian, well my mother is vegan and my dad is vegeterian. So its not something my body has ever known and I know for a certain fact after seeing my mother try and eat dairy after about 10 years of not, it did a number on her entire face and body. As well if something gets into my diet that contains milk or a dairy that I was not aware of if I can't tell by the taste and catch it, it shows up in my skin I can tell its oilier and my sweat will even smell different. I refuse to believe that a regimen will keep your skin clean if you arent concious about what you put into your body. Thats like saying you can eat all of the chocolate cake and fried chicken you want if you work out the same amount every day.

I'm not saying you should eat chocolate or junk food or anything bad for your health, I'm just saying that the regimen should keep you clear no matter what you eat. Before the regimen, I didn't eat chocolate or any of that stuff because I was scared of breaking out. Now, on the regimen, I still dont eat chocolate or junk food, but not because I'm scared of breaking out, but because its unhealthy. When you work out, you have to have a healthy diet which supports it, or else you won't get results. Meat is not bad, its very good for you 'cuz its a good source of protein. How do you get your protein when you're a vegeterian? It's much harder, so many vegeterians end having protein defeciency which isn't good, thats my only concern with being a vegeterian. You need like 0.8 x your bodyweight of protein in grams a day to survive, to be healthy, you need more. Avoiding dairy is perfectly fine if you don't feel good after consuming lactose.

Vegan #2 here: Dairy can make ance prone peolpe have more problems. Not everyone, but it can happen.

When you eat dairy products, you are ingesting hormones associated with pregnancy. If you are someone who has that as a trigger for acne (which I am) then it makes your problem worse. Your skin is redder, more sensitive and easily irritaed. Oil production elevates, just like it did when you were 12 and these hormones started kikcing in to begin with. While this doesent actaully cause the acne, it sure as hell makes it worse.

Now about these hormones. Even if you use the organic dairy products, you are still ingesting hormones from a pregnant cow ( that's the only way you get milk.) You think thier hormones and ours are really all that different?

If you are a girl who breaks out really bad during thier cycle, or have had birth control pills affect them negatively, or a guy who has really irritated sensitive skin ( becuase these hormones affect you too, fellas,) try cutting out diary for a few weeks and see if it dosen't improve.

Final thought: there's plenty to eat that doesn't involve meat or dairy.

No, I am not cranky, anemic, or bald or anything else. Just in case anyone else was worried about us: we're hanging in there.

"When you eat dairy products, you are ingesting hormones associated with pregnancy. If you are someone who has that as a trigger for acne (which I am) then it makes your problem worse. Your skin is redder, more sensitive and easily irritaed. Oil production elevates, just like it did when you were 12 and these hormones started kikcing in to begin with. While this doesent actaully cause the acne, it sure as hell makes it worse"

Hey! I am 12. And guess what?!

I practically LIVE off dairy. The regimen cleared me 100%. I need to gain weight, so I'm getting every fat there is. Dairy has calcium, which makes your bones strong. No one should cut out food groups just to hope your ance gets better.

When you eat dairy products, you are ingesting hormones associated with pregnancy. If you are someone who has that as a trigger for acne (which I am) then it makes your problem worse. Your skin is redder, more sensitive and easily irritaed. Oil production elevates, just like it did when you were 12 and these hormones started kikcing in to begin with. While this doesent actaully cause the acne, it sure as hell makes it worse

although i have read articles related to dairy exacerbating acne (mostly directed through peta and raw foods websites), there are as many opinions refuting this claim, in my opinion. speaking from my own experience, where i at one time was vegan (for approx 1 year), i saw my acne range from staying the same to getting worse over time (and i was eating no refined sugar or refined flour, etc). i mean, obviously everyone's experience will differ, but i do not think that diet is a primary cause of acne, nor do i think that changes in diet will have a tremendous effect on the severity of acne one suffers (with the exception being any allergies you may have).

hkd, There are other places to get calcium etc, and the calcium in milk isn't all that great, milk might in fact contribute to osteoporosis. But there are plenty of milk debates around here with that info.

Seems unlikely. Milk is designed to grow bones in (young) mammals, and we are mammals, just like calves are.

Cheese, maybe.

hkd, There are other places to get calcium etc, and the calcium in milk isn't all that great, milk might in fact contribute to osteoporosis. But there are plenty of milk debates around here with that info.

Seems unlikely. Milk is designed to grow bones in (young) mammals, and we are mammals, just like calves are.

Cheese, maybe.

Did you not read the above quote? :confused: It's a fact.

We may be mammals but, we are also humans. Milk from our mother's breast was designed for us, just as the cow's milk was designed for baby cows.

Ah that's not true all the way mate. Hormones are far different in animals than us human counterparts. Plus you need to look at what the cows are being fed and grazed with. Pesticides and hormonal treatments on grass and foodstuffs all feed through to the milk produced by the female. These of course are in turn excreted in the form of milk and then ingested by ourselves.

If you can, stay away from dairy anyway as part of a more healthy regime. Soya milk is fine and you can also get soya butter etc. As for cheese, I don't mind missing out.

edit: Animal Protein and Osteoporosis

"Two factors make animal protein more calcium-costly than plant protein. As mentioned, excessive protein intake leads to greater urinary calcium losses. With excess protein the blood becomes more acidic. To buffer this acid rise the body relies on calcium, which it may leach from the bones. Compounding the problem is the fact that animal protein has more sulfur-containing amino acids which tend to increase calcium losses. Further, animal foods contain higher levels of phosphorus that may interfere with calcium absorption. Phosphorus in an important component to health, but in levels disproportionate to calcium (such as in cow’s milk), it may bind with calcium in the digestive tract and sharply reduce its absorption. Numerous studies confirm that this process of "calcium leaching" is more likely to occur with the consumption of animal protein than with vegetable protein." . . .

Where is this from? It reads like PETA propaganda.

There are 20 amino acids used to produce protein. Cows have the same ones. There are exactly two of those that contain sulfer: methionine and cysteine. Methionine is found in high concentration in many fruits in vegetables, including spinach, oranges, and tofu (among many others). Methionine is essential. We need it, but cannot make it. Cysteine in found in most proteins, in both plants and animals, but in small amounts. We need cysteine for insulin, keratin (ahem: skin), and digestive enzymes, among others. Keratin, by the way, contains large amounts of cysteine, so we need lots to keep our skin healthy.

As far as animal protein being too heavy in sulfur containing amino acids. Nope. Milk is considered fully balanced for human digestion (tied with soy), while beef is right behind (limited, actually, by the amount of cystein and methionine, which are actually the least common in beef).

As for excess protein making your blood acidic? No. That would kill you. Acidic blood is what you get when your kidneys stop working. And it kills you. Yes, excess protein might lead to a condition where the body releases calcium from the bones. But that's entirely normal. Calcium constantly flows to and from the bones. Most (98%) of it is reclaimed by kidneys. And most people in America are getting more protein than the RDA, but not by too much. Something in the neighborhood of 150% of the RDA for protein, which is well within the healthy range, especially for active people.

Milk isn't really that high in phosphorus. A cup of milk contains about 30% of the RDA for calcium, but only about 23% of the RDA for phosphorus.

Milk calcium exhibits high absorbability. Most (but not all) plant sources of calcium exhibit poor absorbability. As for the calcium binding with the phosphorus. Yeah. It does. That's how the body stores it in the bones. Unbound calcium would be deadly. It's highly reactive.

Ah that's not true all the way mate. Hormones are far different in animals than us human counterparts. Plus you need to look at what the cows are being fed and grazed with. Pesticides and hormonal treatments on grass and foodstuffs all feed through to the milk produced by the female. These of course are in turn excreted in the form of milk and then ingested by ourselves.

The same people who argue against milk because of the hormones are the same ones who argue in favor of soy. Much of soy's benefit lies in the fact that some of the compounds act similar to estrogen in the body. A number of health experts recommend to getting too much soy specifically because of that, especially for men. This comes even from a number of sources that still recommend soy.

Pesticides? I'm a lot more worried about pesticides on my apples than I am about pesticides in my milk. I have no doubt that we're ingesting small amounts of pesticides every day, but I have serious doubts that milk is a major contributor.

its got to vary from person to person. i swear, everytime i come on here i hear some hype about what causes acne. dairy, sex, alcohol, etc.

well i can tell you that this past weekend i had a LOT of dairy, a LOT of alcohol, and a LOT of sex.

my face is the same.

lol

I figure maybe 1 out of 100 people at most have something specific they they're ingesting that causes their acne. The rest just lost the genetic lottery.

There's just too many people who abuse their bodies with food, alcohol, tobacco, sex, whatever, and have perfect skin for me to believe there's any real substance to the hype. But people ar desperate for a "cure", so they are willing to swallow random crackpot theories.

The same people who argue against milk because of the hormones are the same ones who argue in favor of soy. Much of soy's benefit lies in the fact that some of the compounds act similar to estrogen in the body. A number of health experts recommend to getting too much soy specifically because of that, especially for men. This comes even from a number of sources that still recommend soy.

Pesticides? I'm a lot more worried about pesticides on my apples than I am about pesticides in my milk. I have no doubt that we're ingesting small amounts of pesticides every day, but I have serious doubts that milk is a major contributor.