Notifications
Clear all

Can Salicylic Acid Cause Pimples?

MemberMember
(@betty-s)

Posted : 11/19/2005 10:21 pm

I've been using salicylic acid (1.5%) daily for a couple months now. My blackheads are gone, my pores are smaller, and my skin is smoother... but I've been getting more zits on my lower cheek / chin area than I did before. A few days ago I stopped using the salicylic acid, and the pimples have stopped. What gives???

MemberMember
(@bobbi45)

Posted : 11/21/2005 6:21 pm

when I was using Murad (whick contains SA) it made me break out terribly. Also my forehead has been completely clear for months but I used some Neutrogena stuff w/ SA on my forehead & now I'm covered in bumps. So yeah I think some people should not use it!

MemberMember
(@dragon10)

Posted : 11/21/2005 6:33 pm

Maybe it unclogged your pores, the stuff that was unclogged lead to the breakout? maybe?

MemberMember
(@redseven)

Posted : 11/21/2005 6:44 pm

betty s said:

I've been using salicylic acid (1.5%) daily for a couple months now. My blackheads are gone, my pores are smaller, and my skin is smoother... but I've been getting more zits on my lower cheek / chin area than I did before. A few days ago I stopped using the salicylic acid, and the pimples have stopped. What gives???

I think it might not be so much about the SA its about the other ingredients and what else you are using on face.

Even Dr Nase usually has problems with Salicylic Acid and tells Rosaceans (very sensitive) to avoid em but has found one he likes...

[Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@iceboi)

Posted : 11/21/2005 7:32 pm

I think SA is really good but it really depends on the product since most products contain lots of ingreideients so it may not be the SA thats the irritant. If you like SA. Try this cleanser it's called Dermamed's Herbal Cleanser it has. SA2%, green tea extract, water, vegetable glycerin as its ingredients only.

I've tried the sample of this and its soooo GOOOOOD. All natural besides the SA and non-irritant

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/21/2005 7:38 pm

Could be unclogging pores. Could be drying the skin out and causing congestion.

MemberMember
(@logdog)

Posted : 11/21/2005 11:24 pm

some SA cleansers have done that to me too. try using it only once a day, or maybe switching to a more gentle/ lesser conc. of SA cleanser

MemberMember
(@dingo-jellybean)

Posted : 11/23/2005 10:14 pm

I think it's more of an allergic reaction instead. I know peanuts gives me bumps on my face that are not necessarily pimples, but more like a mild form of hives. So you could be allergic to it.

MemberMember
(@ariventa)

Posted : 11/24/2005 9:50 pm

There was one thread that discussed SA and their effectiveness questioning the ph level of the product. It could be the clogged pres unclogging but it could definately be the product. I wish i could find the thread as it also contained an article concerning the importance of SA ph but, alas, I can't what I do remember is that one of the three SA's recommended was Paula's Choice. I tried one of thier cleansers before. VERY Gentle and non irritating. Most of their products have a lotion like consistency and are very nice. Of course the product offered by Redseven may be very good indeed.

I was surprised to see it was Clearisil that made the product. Interesting. good luck.

[Edited link out]

Just found this in a different thread. Only 3 ingredients. Looks good.

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 11/24/2005 9:51 pm

Can it cause breakouts? I'm sure it can, it can probably cause all sorts of things in certain people.

If you've tried it and you get a breakout, then move on to another product, it may not be the SA, it could be any number of other ingredients in the solution.

Maybe try a different SA product and see how you get on?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/20/2013 7:21 pm

I started using St. Ives exfoliant (contains SA) and my skin went crazy. It's possible though that it is another ingredient...watch out for SLS which is what I think was causing my breakouts.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 02/03/2013 1:40 am

i often wonder this. Doctors will always tell you no. but I always break out bad, soemtimes in a lot of tiny small pimples. I would like to also know.

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 02/05/2013 1:06 am

I have tested a number of products containing and not containing SA. All products that contain SA broke me out. And not the "unglogging your pores" kind of breakout. The "oh my god my skin hates this crap" kind of break out.

I personally stay away from SA and BP all together.

MemberMember
(@tina829)

Posted : 12/17/2020 1:51 am

Anything with something like salicylic acid (and willow bark extract) or glycolic acid, retinoids, etc will cause me to get terrible cystic acne on concentrated areas such as my chin.

it will make the rest of my skin glow and begin to lessen the appearance of scaring but overtime increase cystic acne in more and more areas.

some people press through this stage and are fine. I find that it never fully resolvesand I end up with more scaring because of the acne.

therefore,I must use face washes and lotions, etc that are very mild like aveeno calming.

i think the acids tend to draw out impurities, and if some of us carry a heavy toxic load some forms of detox, in this case through the skin, just stir up the impurities rather than fully removes them (for example, a strong digestive detox could make a heavy toxic load person just feel sick because the toxins are just stirred up rather than fully purged)

mild juicing and plenty of water tend to help better