Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Icantthinkofaname

Informative article about skin discolorations

I would like to stress the fact that wearing sunscreen is so important. I have been dealing with red marks for a very long time. I think the reason it takes so long for the red marks to go away is because the sun gets to them everyday. If we use a good sunscreen that doesn't break us out every single day on the red marks I strongly believe that it will really speed up the healing process. Everytime the sun messes with your red marks they actually make them darker. Whether you can tell or not this does happen. The healing process is so slow and gradual that you can't even notice the marks fading. Same goes for the reverse effect which is the sun re-darkening them never letting them fade. Keep wearing a sunscreen every single day. Do a little research online about the sun's effect on the skin especially PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). Here's just one of many out there. I found this a little interesting...

http://www.aveeno.com/ca_discoloration.jsp

I have to add this too....this is a very good article from a trusted board certified dermatologist.

"The sun is your enemy. No matter the cause of your discoloration, the sun actively plays a role in deepening the disparity between your natural lovely skin tone and the unwanted dark patches. Maybe you can place the blame squarely on all those hours spent in the sun intentionally sun bathing or perhaps you were merely passing through on your way to less sunny conditions. But sans sunscreen, those UV rays are going to send your pigment-producing skin cells (aka melanocytes) into overdrive."

- http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newslette...44B506560214%7D

Makes sense to me. But currently i am on medication and my derm told me to stop al my creams and stick to the regime for 6 weeks. it is showing improvement but should I still use sunscreen?

I would talk to your derm. I'm sure sunscreen would be ok but I would make sure with him. Sunscreen is the most important thing in helping fade red marks. That's a proven fact. I just wish I knew earlier because my red marks would be long gone. Good luck

I would talk to your derm. I'm sure sunscreen would be ok but I would make sure with him. Sunscreen is the most important thing in helping fade red marks. That's a proven fact. I just wish I knew earlier because my red marks would be long gone. Good luck

do u think sunscreen should be applied even if i'm a stay-at-home mom?(my acne came back after i had the baby....i had it during teens and then i cleared through doc visits;now i'm 25)i have brown and red marks now...though not active acne....

Guest Fearless*Bunny

I avoid the sun like the plague and I still wear sunscreen. It's more cause wrinkes scar the crap out of me but it can't hurt right?

I don't think you need to wear sunscreen in your house but I would be aware of the sun and what angle it comes in through your windows. I am really serious about this. I wouldn't wear sunscreen if you don't need to and I don't think you need to in your house unless the sun is shining on your face through a window. I am just curious about the blood vessel part of it. I am starting to think now that broken blood vessels or dilated blood vessels (maybe capillaries not blood vessels) are involved in this too. It seems that if it was just a pigmentation problem only then it wouldn't change color if you exercise and get hot. When I get hot I can almost sense that my red marks look worst and they do. I wonder what we can do if anything about the broken blood vessels or dilated blood vessels. I think only certain lasers can help with that.