Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i tried clearasil astringent before and it burned my skin, it was really red :wub: like this smiley just take out the hearts and the smiley face ANYWAY back to the topic. Now I'm using Aveeno clear complexion (also SA) but it's not as bad as clearasil.

:D ok guys, I need to get back to my assignments. 9 more pages to go...

i use 0.5% and 1% SA astringents and they dont seem to bother my skin.. im not sure if they are too effective but they do remove dirt and oil from my skin or anything left behind.. but im going to switch to a alcohol free toner because i think thats the way to go.. 2% SA was pretty effective when i used it though so i might try that sometime.

Astringents (in the sense of lotions... they are also a medical/herbalist term) are sort of like aftershave, only a bit more technical. One "folk remedy" for acne is "Witch-Hazel", which is distilled from a shrub and contains various tannins and flavonoids (similar to tea), you can still get it in drug stores

In my experience as a teen with acne, witch hazel did very little. It might be good for a lanced pimple, though, since it does reduce iflammation.

Other "astringents" such as salicylic acid, I have no experience with.

When I first started getting acne in middle school I used various clean and clear astringents. Worst thing you can do to your skin. In fact, I used that line for a couple of years because I didn't know better, and now I won't touch anything by the brand.

When I first started getting acne in middle school I used various clean and clear astringents. Worst thing you can do to your skin. In fact, I used that line for a couple of years because I didn't know better, and now I won't touch anything by the brand.

how do you figure its the worst thing you can do to your skin? i cant believe anyone would say that on this board.. using bp is far worse for your skin than using a BHA.. i dont know where you get your info.

When ever I got my lip pierced they actually gave me clearisil astringent to clean it, it didnt irritate my piercing but it really dried out the rest of my lip/chin area that i put it on. It also made it all red and itcy.

When ever I got my lip pierced they actually gave me clearisil astringent to clean it, it didnt irritate my piercing but it really dried out the rest of my lip/chin area that i put it on. It also made it all red and itcy.

I can imagine it drying that area around your piercing. Not good. The best thing for a piercing is Sea Salt.

I can imagine it drying that area around your piercing. Not good. The best thing for a piercing is Sea Salt.

Yeah I also dipped it in the sea salt, they just gave me that for cleansing it before i used the sea salt.

Before I quit using basically all of my products, I used Biore astringent with SA in it. I believe that it is a good product but only for mild acne. I wouldn't use it for moderate or severe. I didn't find that it helped much for my acne. Of course nothing has so far, even the prescriptions.

how do you figure its the worst thing you can do to your skin? i cant believe anyone would say that on this board.. using bp is far worse for your skin than using a BHA.. i dont know where you get your info.

It wasn't the BHA that was bad for my skin. It was that the particular astringents that I was using were very drying. Immediately after use, they gave my skin a leathery texture, and within a few hours I would just be oily. And, when I was using these my acne was the worst it's been. Maybe that was age but obviously they weren't doing anything good for my skin if my acne just kept getting worse and worse. I got all that info from personal experience. I'm sure there are worse things you can do to your skin than using clean and clear astringents, but they were the worst for my skin. And I'd never use them again because they're so harsh and drying.

A toners main purpose is to return the skin to its optimal pH level for treatments to work most effectivly, but they can also be used to hydrate, clean out your pores and clear and "tone" your complexion.

An astringent will skrink and constrict body tissues, they cause a small coagulation of skin proteins to dry and harden which some see as proctecint the skin. It is anything that will shrink and constict body tissues, even very cold water is considered an astigent.

Im a chemistry major and from what ive learned about astrignets I really wouldnt use one on anything other than a small cut or inscet bite, if anything positive i could see how they could make pore looks smaller because they constrict tissue, or maybe after you pop a pimple because they would cause the surface blood to coagulate and the bleeding would cease.

Also a little known fact if youre having irritation with a product one of the best things you can do is make a small oatmeal paste a little water and some plain oatmeal making a goo, put it on an irritated area and the itching and redness will go away. people use it on anything from sunburns, atheletes foot, inscet bites, poison ivy, chicken pox and yes even your face if youve given it a day of hell and its all itchy and red. If youre scared to use oatmeal on your face try aveeno products, theyre not the best for clearing your skin but they will take away any dryness and irritation that you have because of the oatmeal content in the product.

After my small bout of being irritated red and itchy from using an astigent I used this and the redness went away in a matter of hours and the itching ceased immediatly.

I hate astringents. They just irritate my skin and make it sticky. I will use them to remove the grease from my T-zone in the afternoon so I don't have to completely wash my face and redo my makeup. I will also use them on my chest area before bed if I don't shower. But I don't recommend them as part of your skin cleaning regimen. If there is still dirt or makeup left on your face after you wash it, then you just need to wash it twice.

I was using one several weeks ago but I stopped. Honestly I didn't see no difference. I thought it would help me out when I break out but it didn't. I was using Neutrogena Deep Clean Astringent. Now I don't use anything at all.

i think toners are muchh more gentle than astringents. please do not try astringents. speaking from badd experience. In my early acne days :boohoo: I had horrible breakouts and started using an astringent from a brand called Clear Logix. Think its dicontinued...(hmmm i wonder why!) I had this stupid idea that it was killing the germs but the truth was...it burned my skin like crazy..left me red, dry, flaking and itchy. :wall:

Bottomline...i think astringents are too harsh for sensitive acne-prone skin