Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soldbz

ACCUTANE FOR OILY ACNE PRONE SKIN

I have acne and oily skin since I was 12 and now im 27 nothing has really changed. I have moderate to severe acne that doesnt go away. I tried everthing and nothing seems to work. For 15 years of my life I have been battling this problem and I dont know what to do. I want to try accutane but I dont know if its going to work. Im not sure if its the oil casuing all this to happen or its the acne itself that is being produced by something else besides the oily skin. Will Accutane work on just minimizing the oil or will it treat the acne directly? Its confusing, I hear terrible things about accutane and Im not sure if its right for me. I have a very oily forehead and nose. My checks are a little oily but are very sensitive. So, I would say I have combination skin. I have lots of marks that dont go away and when they become dry its even worse. I have no even skin tone at all. I dont know if accutane would just dry it out and make it worse or if its ever going to go away

I have acne and oily skin since I was 12 and now im 27 nothing has really changed. I have moderate to severe acne that doesnt go away. I tried everthing and nothing seems to work. For 15 years of my life I have been battling this problem and I dont know what to do. I want to try accutane but I dont know if its going to work. Im not sure if its the oil casuing all this to happen or its the acne itself that is being produced by something else besides the oily skin. Will Accutane work on just minimizing the oil or will it treat the acne directly? Its confusing, I hear terrible things about accutane and Im not sure if its right for me. I have a very oily forehead and nose. My checks are a little oily but are very sensitive. So, I would say I have combination skin. I have lots of marks that dont go away and when they become dry its even worse. I have no even skin tone at all. I dont know if accutane would just dry it out and make it worse or if its ever going to go away

Hi mate,

Don't worry I'm in a similar situation to you pal. I'm 23 and have had acne since the age of 16. It's moderate acne but THANKFULLY I dont get cysts/nodules. I don't think anyway!

I've tried pretty much everything, all antibiotics and topicals with little or no results. I'm on the BP Regimen now and have been for 3 1/2 weeks and have seen some progress, still getting breakouts though.

I start Accutane next Sunday. In a nut shell accutane shrinks your sebacious glands and pores which prevent oily deposits and blockages from forming leading to an acne breeding ground. It will dry your skin and for your type of acne, it is almost always the only real effective drug. There's plenty of side effects in any drug, but I understand your concern with accutane. Why not go the the Accutane log pages and check some peoples journals out to see if it's for you.

It's a 95% guarantee that you will have cleear skin at the end of your 3-6 month course, and supposedly for 60% of users, the acne NEVER comes back. You'll definately get a decent remission period though so go for it I say. Plus, it seeems to work better on people post 20's because of the settling of hormones.

Keep us posted on your decision. We're all here to help mate. Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I have done lots of research on accutane but I havent really found any solid proof that its only for oily acne prone skin or just people with acne in general. I feel my acne gets bad whenever my skin gets oily. But I do get acne even when its not oily. I just cant find any information, im just not sure if it will just target the oil glands and thats it. What if it reduces the oil glands does that mean that my acne will just go away? Any case, I'm glad your starting accutane I hope it goes well for you, let me know what happens and keep us up to date.

As dar as i know, accutane reduces the oil of your skin and thus, minimise the chance of clogged pores (which is one cause of acne). Secondly, by minimising the oil of you skin, accutane therefore helps to reduce bacteria on your skin as well since bacteria that causes acne lives happily in oily skin like ours :razz: Hope this helps...

As dar as i know, accutane reduces the oil of your skin and thus, minimise the chance of clogged pores (which is one cause of acne). Secondly, by minimising the oil of you skin, accutane therefore helps to reduce bacteria on your skin as well since bacteria that causes acne lives happily in oily skin like ours :razz: Hope this helps...

Pretty much yes, but remember, even people with exceptionally dry skin still get acne. Basically Accutane is there to do the following:

1. Reduce Sebum production and thus, minimise the acne environment breeding ground for p-acnes bacteria
  2. Dries the skin and shrinks the pores meaning that acne can rarely form in smaller pores

Go for it mate. It's our right to have cleear skin and I'm so sick of this acne shit effecting my life that I have to get it sorted asap. Good luck.

I have acne and oily skin since I was 12 and now im 27 nothing has really changed. I have moderate to severe acne that doesnt go away. I tried everthing and nothing seems to work.

If you've tried other treatments and they haven't worked and you have moderate/severe acne that's scarring, you should really consider Accutane. Nothing else has it's success rate on acne like yours. Take the scare reports that you've heard with a grain of salt and don't beleive everything you read, especially anecdotal stories where someone blames something that's not a known side effect of Accutane on it. The facts are - almost everyone experiences some side effects and they can be pretty uncomfortable during treatment. There are also some rare serious side effects - but i stress they are rare. The odds are in your favor, but make sure you are aware of what you are getting into.

1Reduce Sebum production and thus, minimise the acne environment breeding ground for p-acnes bacteria

2 Dries the skin and shrinks the pores meaning that acne can rarely form in smaller pores

Accutane regulates the sloughing of cells into the pore - in acne sufferers these cells slough off much, much faster than in normal skin, and that's what clogs the pore and keeps the sebum in the pore to feed bacterial overgrowth. Sebum production is not a problem in and of itself, i'm sure you know some people with extremely oily but clear skin. Accutane's general action on rapidly dividing cells is also what causes some of it's side effects, most notably the birth defects. The oiliness will return to pre-Accutane levels or nearly so shortly after treatment.

If oil levels are reduced and hopefully the acne is also reduced by taking the accutane, what is the probability that the oil returns and thus the acne itself also returns? I hate that thought but its something that must be asked.

If oil levels are reduced and hopefully the acne is also reduced by taking the accutane, what is the probability that the oil returns and thus the acne itself also returns? I hate that thought but its something that must be asked.

The oil will return, but not necessarily the acne. It's not the oil that causes the acne, it's the clogged pores that trap the oil.

I have a derm appointment on Monday after Thanksgiving. I am going to ask him questions about the accutane and hopefully I will be on it soon. Right now Im on Nicomide tablets twice a day(which absolutley does nothing) and using 10% BP at night with a Cetaphil Facial Cleanser morning and evening. But it does nothing for me because I dont have normal skin. My skin is oily in the morning and oily in the evening. Its like no matter what I do it never works. Im always an optimist but lately I dont know anymore. Its like I get excited about using a new product or medication hoping its going to solve my acne problem and then it never works out. Its very disappointing when you lose hope but still I keep going; trying anything hoping it will work for me.