Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sp05

Quitting BP Sucess Stories?

Well, after about 5 years of using BP im finally fed up, I'm now 19 years and 8 months old and am still suffering from acne and currently broken out pretty bad. I've heard stories about peoples faces going insane after quitting BP. Has anyone successfully come off BP and seen improvements afterwards? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

I did BP for a year and got quite a bit of success until it just didn't do anything else for me. Basically it exfloiated all the swelling of the oilglands and acne i have, but left me with smaller spots and redness aswell as blackheads.

I came off BP after getting no futher results and I stayed at that level from then on, only every 5 months or so would I use one tube of BP to keep things down. Sometimes I would get bad again but after just using that one tube and then stopping for a few months things calmed down extremely quickly and stayed at that level.

i'm weaning myself off BP (benzamycin gel) i'll let you know how things go but so far, i've gone a few days without using it and no problems. Right now i'm just cutting my usage to a few times a week at night time and then it will be every other night etc. or just when i flare up.

I'll keep you posted but the outcome looks good.

mind you i'm on BC and minocycline so maybe that helps.

Ive went on BP when i started proactiv like 2 years ago. It definately worked for awhile. But then it stopped. I started getting red marks all over and i quit. Then i tried other BP like clearasil and that worked for awhile but irritated too much and still left redmarks. After that i went on Benzamycin. It worked but irritated me but still left redmarks. Well BP never really got rid of my acne as i still got pimples while on it so i stopped. I started washing my face just with a cleanser twice a day. Didnt; work. Then i started washing with just water twice a day. Helped alot with acne but it didnt last. Then i started washing once a day with water and it helped a little. Then i tried not washing my face at all. It didnt get rid of my redmarks but i didnt get acne. Now im washing with a cleanser once a day and i dont get acne anymore. All i have is these redmarks that suck really bad.

So IMO, changing your washing habits is the most important part of stopping acne.

good call Ballaballa.

i'm with you on that one. i'm trying not to wash my face 2x a day in the shower and just once..i think its helping! (at least i know that not using the BP everyday is)

I'm 19 as well, and my skin has been better since I quit using BP. When I was 17, my skin suddenly cleared up under a regimen of BP (prescription samples my stepmom, who works at a hospital, got me), toner, and gentle gel cleanser. It stayed that way for a year and a half -- I wouldn't even have labeled myself as someone who had acne, I just got a pimple or two with my period. Eventually I didn't even have to use the BP every night, just every few nights. But when I graduated last spring I moved to a different climate (humid alabama -> dry southern california) and my skin went nuts. I religiously followed the same regimen assuming that if I did, my skin would get used to the environment and go back to normal. But 5 months passed with barely any improvement.

A few weeks ago I stopped using BP cold turkey. I bought the Philosophy Acne Kit ($47 at sephora, about the same price as proactiv since you don't pay shipping if you buy it at the store, but much nicer) and started using that. I've barely broken out since. It has a gentle cleanser, a serum with AHA and BHA, a cream with hydrogen peroxide, and a silicone-based moisturizer/primer for day. I don't know which of the products is doing so much but they've done wonders. I get pimples much less frequently and most of them are gone within a day or two. There wasn't even any sort of purging period -- my skin started getting better immediately. The oiliness has subsided completely as well. I get a little dryness occasionally but I wouldn't even call it a problem -- it's nothing that can't be solved in 30 seconds with some moisturizer.

If you've been using BP 5 years and it's still not working, then I suggest you give yourself a break from it. For one thing, the bacteria in your skin can build up a tolerance to it -- it's the same idea as antibiotic resistance; the bacteria that are somehow able to survive the BP live and reproduce, and when you've been using it for a really long time, you probably have a face full of BP-resistant bacteria. I definitely recommend that kit -- it's actually a great deal, you save a ton of money when you compare it to the prices of individual products. If you don't want to use it, still stop using the bp, and use a toner or serum with AHA and BHA to keep fighting your acne.

Thanks for the advice and comments.

I've been off of BP for 3 days now and things are already looking better. One thing I noticed was the oil production on my face has gone down significantly. My skin has been getting a little dry after my morning shower though. Can anyone recommend a liquid moisturizer that can be applied with a cotton pad? I'm not a big fan of lotion moisturizers.

bp sucks in that its a very short term product. if u completely stop it your gonna have a breakout possibly. what worked for me was spot treating and using lesser dabs a day. once the zit is a redmard there is no need to use it there. so once i notice no huge harsh zits. i just used a cleansor twice a day with the brush technique spoken with great results on this site. i notice my face got very oily in like 2 to 3 hrs so i went to only using cleansor at night and just washing with water in day and my face is in perfect unification. it gets better day by day. and i do mix alot of my foods with organic foods it helps me greatly in my energy and if you have sustained energy you can get alot accomplished.

well thats how i quit bp. and a lil of my 2 cents

so the BP on works while you keep applying it and when u stop your back at square one??

is this the same for Mild Acne?

no..its not the same. Its just that if you've been on a product for so long and then suddenly just STOP you're going to get a reaction because your body is suddenly having to adjust to something you're used to, you have to use less and use your judgement as to when you need it. i think thats the consensus of us going off it....

i'm doing the 3 days on three days off thing right now and its not hurting me at all! in a couple of weeks i'll try stretching it a little longer between dosing.

ok

so when your clear you can slowly start using less bp until your hardly using any?

it would be ok to keep using the bp tho eithen when ure Acne is clear right???

I would think it would be okay, tho i wouldn't use as much. Just use it as a preventative, make it like what i'm doing, every few days or so. Or you could just switch to a good cleanser and spot treat when you flare up.

It really all depends on your acne. Some people have cycles like me, so i'll be clear and then it will flare up a bit then back to clear etc. This is why i think i'll not quit completely and just cut back use, because i know from experience i have to maintain (tho i am hoping the minocycline and diane 35 might stop the flare ups that happen occasionally)

Other people outgrow or just for whatever reason just clear up (eg. accutane) in those cases you probably won't need much maintenance.

Talk to your derm for options.