Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
notcool

first time w/regimen.. need guidance!

Hey guys, I found this site about 2 weeks ago and I have received my first shipment of bp gel.

I have been on bp, mostly on the spot, since I can remember. I am 20 years old and have had enough acne to not only be annoying but hurt me and my confidence. I used to wash my face a billon times a day adding all sorts of stuff. BP occasionally, SA occasionally, masks, exfoliators and scrubs. I used to be harsh on my face and scrub scrub scrub hoping to end this junk. I have been on doryx for 2 years, as well as triaz pads(bp). I stuck with the combo for monthes and nothing really changed. I eventually stopped the pads as they were irrating to me and dyed my clothes/sheets. I was recently upped to doryx twice a day but saw no REAL results, as i was probably irrating my skin to hell by all the topical stuff and scrubbing.

I saw the regimen and it caught my eye and i was confused how you could be so gentle on your face and have an effect. So i ordered the gel and got to work.

I figured i would jump right in because i have already applied tons of bp, but never with this strict regimen and being this gentle with my skin.

I do have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

1)moisturizers. I have looked through the recommended stuff and have tried eucerin and cetaphil, but I do not like either, they leave me very greasy. i have been using nivea for men w/spf15. it says oil free and will not clog pores. i like it, the fragrance, and hte feeling it has. any suggestions? good bad ?

2)i am using basis bar soap. i have tried all sorts of cleansers, clean and clear deap cleaning, phisoderm, nivea stuff, but i am willing to try the basis, so far so good, kinda. i do a light wash, like dan suggests, for less then 10 seconds (i used to spend a minute rubbign crap into my face) and even then with the basis i still leave the shower with a dry face. suggestions? i read somewhere that dan said liquid cleansers may be better. i was at the store today and saw basis in gel form? any suggestions?

3)applying bp is fine. i try and be as gentle as possible. really no questions here.

4)ive been doing it for about a week now, i think. been pretty strict, doing it and such. i think it is goin ok. things were normal until yesterday/today. my face wasnt clear to begin with, but it wasnt bad. then i had few big guys pop up. i left in the mornign and they were red bumps, i was like sweeet, lol. got back and they were developed and big and white. i know i am not supposed to pop, but i refused and did so, tryign to be sterile about it. i washed applied regimen as normal and here i am typing.

is that normal, i have read that it gets worse before better... they definatly seemed to come to a head quicker. is that good sign?

5)flax oil - i picked up some flax oil pills, apparently i need to take like 14 a day to have the same effect as the actually liquid? i have not tried that yet. I found the oil at a store, but it said it should be refrigerated after opening, but I really dont feel like putting flax oil in my fridge, would be kinda awkward with the socials. is it necessary to keep cool?

6) gimme faith!

hang in there, sounds like you are off to a good start.

Your moisturizer sounds fine, if you like it, stick with it.

cleanser, anything gentle, oil-free, not scrubby and not medicated should be fine, if you want to try the Basis gel cleanser, give it a try and see.

You may still experience breakouts for the first 3 months, depending on the severity of your acne. Read through the "what to expect" link for more on that.

Flax oil, I don't know. I take one gelcap per day, just for health measures.

Good luck with the Regimen, and continue to keep us posted on your progress.

1) try neutrogena oil free moistureizer

2) try a liquid cleanser. i was using purpose bar and that was leaving me very dry. i switched to purpose liquid and the a lot of the dryness went away for the most part

3)sounds good

4)everyone is differnet, but many have gotten a little worse before better, especially right away and at week 3, also i have read some people experience a breakout around week 5, also. like i said, everyone is differenet, though.

5)no experience, no comments

6)stick with it, no matter if you get red and dry (which you probably will) just stick it out. that is what i am doing, as is mostly everyone else on here. keep us updated on your progress to clearer skin!

thanks for the responses guys.

i may find a more gentle cleanser, htough i do like the price of the basis.

i really feel my big problem was the amount i cleansed my face before, seriously 4-5 times a day.

Parts of my face where i have had faciel hair (go-t) for a few years i rarely cleanse, and go figure, its clear. I honestly cant remember the last breakout there.

thanks though,

ill come back with any questions