Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Im pretty much all cleared up but i still have alot of clogged pores.I want to start exfoliating so my acne doesnt come back,but im not sure exactly how.how many times a week are you supposed too?I bought the st. ives scrub,are you supposed to use this before or after you wash your face(with cleanser)..Any help would be appreciated...

Im pretty much all cleared up but i still have alot of clogged pores.I want to start exfoliating so my acne doesnt come back,but im not sure exactly how.how many times a week are you supposed too?I bought the st. ives scrub,are you supposed to use this before or after you wash your face(with cleanser)..Any help would be appreciated...

Depending on how sensitive ur skin is, i wouldnt use St. IVes apricot scrub. It's pretty irritating and can make your acne worse in the long run. Have u tried a facial brush to exfoliate? If you really want to use the St. ives then do it about 2-3 times a week in place of your cleanser.

I exfoliate once or twice a week and it's BEFORE using my cleaser. I thought it was the other way around but I was reading a magazine and they said that it was better to exfoliate before using your cleaser. Hope that helps!

I recommend Neutrogena's pore refining cleanser ... it has microbeads ... much better for your skin than the St Ives scrub. And it cleanses and exfoliates at the same time, so no worries there. I find I get the best results from a double application (use it, rinse, use it again).

Also, if you are interested, you might check out Jessica Stuart's posts on synthetic brush exfoliation with a battery powered Oral B toothbrush ... her results were amazing. I've been trying out this technique the last couple weeks and really like it, my pores are much cleaner and skin is smoother overall.

Q

id stay away from the st ives apricot scrubs.. i have been eczema free for over a year but ive used the st ives apricot scrub twice and both times its gave me an eczema flair up.. and usually my skin is quite resiliant.. you might want to try the neutrogena 60 second scrub mask.. i have heard a lot of good things about it.. i plan on picking it up soon to try it.

Salicylic acid a Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) 1-2% is a very good exfoliant.

These are in Stridex pads, which can be used 1-3 times a day.

Or use a low % Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) such as in Eucerin Skin Renewal.

BHA is superior and less irritating than an AHA.

BHA is also as effective if not better than Benzoyl Peroxide (BP) long term as an acne treatment with far less irritation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...287&query_hl=33

thanks for help guys...ill see what happens.

Try a 1 - 2% salicylic acid gel after cleansing, before bed. It will take at least a few weeks of using regularly before you see big results, though. But in the long run, its better than a manual scrub. And St. Ives is too harsh for the face. I use it on my armpits to unclog all the deodorant before I shave them!!!

Okay so not only do I not like st.ives on my skin I dont like that gunk it leaves behind in the shower...it looks like someone gave a dog a bath and didnt wash it out....

well thats what I accused my roommate of doing, but then she told me it was her st.ives appricot scrub.

oops.

That's funny :P

gunk.. I thought that was oil, dirt etc that it cleaned off your skin. Unless we are meaning a different kind of gunk?

hahaha yeah were talking about the same gunk.

Its not oil look at it closer its just.....shit. Its gross.

gunk.. I thought that was oil, dirt etc that it cleaned off your skin. Unless we are meaning a different kind of gunk?

Yeah, St Ives does leave a weird residue in the tub... in fact i often wonder if it will cause a clogged drain. But the gunk isn't oil or dirt... its the little exfoliating bits from the St ives...

Yeah, St Ives does leave a weird residue in the tub... in fact i often wonder if it will cause a clogged drain. But the gunk isn't oil or dirt... its the little exfoliating bits from the St ives...

And if there are any ladies out there suffering from acne who have never tried a low-dose birth control pill... go to Planned Parenthood and get on one already! I got on Ortho Tri Cyclene as a teen, and it cut down my zits by about 70%.

Bump :)

hey gray skyz I was just wondering how the results were going with your exfoliation, and if you had tried brush exfoliation yet? :think: the results are just unreal.