Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
charlie_farly

Alcohol Vs Acne?

Hard alcohol dilates blood less than beer and wine.

Domestic beer has more preservatives than foreign beers which makes it less likely to make you break out.

Beer makes my skin bad, but wine and spirits don't affect it that much. So this makes me think it's not the alcohol that causes the problem but the sugar in the beer, or the barley and hops, which is basically grain.

Yeah I seem to break out too. And actually when I think about the only times I havent broken out is whe I drink vodka and water. Its so bad that I will only have to drinks and boom the next day ACNE!!!!!!!! I just wonder if maybe I have a liver problem. Actually we all may have one.

i am drunk ad a fmother fucker. havnent drank in a 6 months fUCK. better got get acne FKCK!! fuck youu!!!

Hello there,

When ever i drink beer, i always seem to get a flare up shortly after . Anyone else experience this???

Im not sure whether this is purely coincidental, or if they are linked in anyway.

Obviously this isnt good, because I like drinking! :dance:

it's somewhat true ;however, i had a wedding two weeks ago and i drank like a mad man, and nothing happened my skin was even clearer..lol i guess u cant really determine what really causes acne :(

Moved to nutrition and holistic health as this has nothing to do with International Regimen supplies. This is an old thread....person who reported it, please note the dates. Feel free to add in your comments/opinions, not necessary to report a post to do that.

I'm going to go with the fact that every person handles their ingredients differently, and what you ingest does play a factor, therefore if you can find the right combination for you then you should find your balance.

At the best of times, I stayed clear while consuming mass quantities of Jack Daniel. Who knows if it was the other factors that played a role.....

Ran across this article when searching for the effects of alcohol, maybe someone could find this useful:::

Godspeed

Yeah, alcohol is bad for your skin because it is dehydrating. It consricts blood vessels too. Especially, bear which has yeast which feeds inflammation i'm pretty sure. anyways, if i stick to gin or vodka (clear alcohols) im totally fine. I also must mix them with NO SUGAR drinks. like tonic water, soda water, diet coke, fresca etc. then drink lots of water durng drinking and when you get home drink liek 3 water bottles. i have noticed drinking a ton of beer, skin doesnt look good.but a couple beers has no effect. drinking clear alcohol with no sugar and drinking water as well keep everything fine. remeber to at least wash your face after.

Yeah alcohol seems to have differing affects on me. Sometimes I feel like my skin is better when I wake up, and other times I look in the mirror the morning after and I'm like NOOOOOOOOOO. lol but overall, I don't think it's good.

I am 55 years old and when I go on a binge I get acne/inflammation underneath the skin. This occurs mostly on the face but has occurred on my legs, torso and arms. I have found I get acne scars mysteriously appearing on my face about a week after I drink. This is a problem because I like to drink wine and beer.

I think the reason why this happens to me may have something to do with Irritable Bowel Syndrome I have. I think the alcohol reacts with the bacteria and causes the bad guys to proliferate and poison my body...

I work with a diabetic, he says that drinking beer causes a spike in insulin production. So perhaps it has the same effect as eating a bunch of sugar?

Edited by Alona

about three days after ive been drinking my skin breaks out bad, its horrible. im wondering if cider might be better for my skin but i think thats just clutching at straws

Guest DireStraits
about three days after ive been drinking my skin breaks out bad, its horrible. im wondering if cider might be better for my skin but i think thats just clutching at straws

I know exactly what you mean cause this happens to me as well.

I read somewhere to try Corona cause its 'gluten free' which is bs, I ended up breaking out in cysts. The read marks left over from that breakout are still around which is even more of a pain.

Next up is trying hard liqour ie. vodka, but I aint gonna try that for at least three months just to let my skin heal more.

All the breakouts from alcohol btw are on my forehead! Isn't that related to constipation/lack of bowel movement?? someone?? Yes/No??

So for the sake of my skin im cutting out alcohol, so there goes my social life......

I know exactly what you mean cause this happens to me as well.

I read somewhere to try Corona cause its 'gluten free' which is bs, I ended up breaking out in cysts. The read marks left over from that breakout are still around which is even more of a pain.

Next up is trying hard liqour ie. vodka, but I aint gonna try that for at least three months just to let my skin heal more.

All the breakouts from alcohol btw are on my forehead! Isn't that related to constipation/lack of bowel movement?? someone?? Yes/No??

So for the sake of my skin im cutting out alcohol, so there goes my social life......

completely agreed. Here's what I've noticed regarding alcohol;

beer, wine and spirits can all give you zits

but depending on chance you can avoid them by keeping your acid mantle intact for at least two days afterwards

- this seems to be because the actual effects on alcohol on your skin doesn't kick in till the day after.

So scrubbing or cleaning you face thoroghly are a bad idea. I've had the worst breakouts of my life because of doing exactly that.

I've had my least zit prone nights via gin and sake. Beer and wine are iffy. Brown spirits (scotch, whisky) can be really bad or iffy. Vodka is ok for one night, but continued use is iffy.

Matching your drinks with water is good for your health, but doesn't change the acne factor dramatically.

Sad to say it, but drinking all the time isn't good for your skin at all. You seem to end up cycling toxins for days, leaving you pretty vulnerable. I imagine a declining ability of the liver doesn't help either.

Moderation is the suggestion

Heres my theory:

Any alcohol with high sugar or yeast content will break you out.

I stick to vodka and cranberry juice which gives me maybe 2 zits a couple of days after.

Yes to Dire straits, I believe forehead acne is digestion related, cheeks and chin are hormonal. You might want to try cutting out wheat and wheat gluten for a few days if your suffering from constipation as well a getting a good probiotic and prebiotic suppliment. People that can't digest wheat easily usually have no or a very low amount of digestive enzymes and bacteria. Our modern diets are stripped of these naturally, which is why wheat intolerance is so common today. I'm gluten AND YEAST free now and I dont get any spots on my forehead anymore.

Just try it for a few days is my suggestion.

And decrease your sugary carb intake(and dairy), cause if your eating so much artificial sugar in your day, your body is designed to see the excess as toxins, so all that shit will come out of your skin.

But again, these ideas are just based on my own personal experience.

Edited by Whiskers McCoy

Heres my theory:

Any alcohol with high sugar or yeast content will break you out.

I stick to vodka and cranberry juice which gives me maybe 2 zits a couple of days after.

Yes to Dire straits, I believe forehead acne is digestion related, cheeks and chin are hormonal. You might want to try cutting out wheat and wheat gluten for a few days if your suffering from constipation as well a getting a good probiotic and prebiotic suppliment. People that can't digest wheat easily usually have no or a very low amount of digestive enzymes and bacteria. Our modern diets are stripped of these naturally, which is why wheat intolerance is so common today. I'm gluten AND YEAST free now and I dont get any spots on my forehead anymore.

Just try it for a few days is my suggestion.

And decrease your sugary carb intake(and dairy), cause if your eating so much artificial sugar in your day, your body is designed to see the excess as toxins, so all that shit will come out of your skin.

But again, these ideas are just based on my own personal experience.

alcohol, especially beer, is very high in carbs. carbs are converted to glucose and glycogen (sugars) in the body, therefore creating an insulin spike. alcohol would always give me terrible breakouts, which I now realize is because I had a terrible candida overgrowth. im on a candida diet and cleanse, and i'm finally getting clear after a year of fuckin hell.

I think I've noticed a connection b/w alcohol and breakouts for me, but I'm not positive. I also usually drink beer because I love it - but it sounds like that's one of the worst drinks to have :( I'm going to cut out all alcohol for a few weeks and see what happens. I'll report back.

A heavy night of drinking will shut down hormone production effectively. though as the days that follow it will ramp up again.. and them sometimes over produce before it settles back into the rhythm.

Beer can make you break out because of the carb content and active yeasts.

Drinking hard alcohol - whisky, scotch, rye, vodka, gin are going to be your best bet. Gin and tonic tastes pretty good and it's basically water and gin at the end of the day. Doesn't mean you should avoid beer/wine but there are better options. Personally I dont particularly care what I drink when i'm out - as I dont fancy the taste of any alcoholic beverage. I do enjoy the effects mind you.