danm

Differin (adapalene) Diary

Was Differin effective for you?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Was Differin effective for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • It made things worse

Hey...I am a Caucasian Male living in lovely England, and this morning my Derm prescribed Differin to me, in the Gel form (she said it would be more suitable for my skin, and who am I to argue?). I have had some sucess up till now with a topical antibiotic called Zineryt that seemed to stop larger inflamitory lesions, and have been using numerous OTC products in recent months that mean that I only break out perhaps once a week (Honey, Vinegar, Drinking loads of water, Taping, B5 etc...) . However, my skin is still oily and there are plenty of comedones to worry about so I am going to give Differin a shot. I won't be a ble to post pictures but I will update this journal as often as possible, starting tonight...I am a little sceptical about what Differin can do for me, as I've heard from this board that it can make the skin more oiy (although how vitamin A which reduces the size of the sebacious glands can do this beats me) and that it sometimes makes you break out worse, but I'm still going to give it my best shot. If anyone has any tips to optimize results or just general advice, please post.

P.s I'm also going to run a little poll, just to see how many people differin has been effective for. Thanx :)

OK. Last night I washed with my usual Salicylic Acid wash (Clean 'n' Clear Cream Wash) and appliead a thin layer of differin gel to my whole face. I could feel a few pimples that were looking to make their way to the surface, and when I woke up this morning, thay had all risen to a head. I guess this is because of the differin...so far it hasn't created any new pimples, but it is accelerating the cycle of the existing ones. I experience no dryness or redness (which I did experience when I used BP in gel form) and so far so good, although it's still too early to tell really. I'll keep you posted with any developments. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck, I had very bad luck with differin. It makes your face feel so itchy and stingy and hot every night and doesn't even do much. But I really hope it works for you.

I have read many bad results from using differin (far outweighing the good #-o ), but I am still going to give it my best shot because I believe taht there is still a possibility of it helping me out. I have a problem with clogged pores, and it should be able to help this out, but I am fearful of the first couple of months...it seems that people generally tend to flare up badly then [-o<

Hi. I use Differin cream in the pm, too, and it does make me feel more oily and have worse breakouts along with rougher skin and larger pores! Maybe someone should explain why this is so routinely prescribed. On the other hand, the Duac I use during the day is AWESOMELY GOOD. If you are in the US, though, you better had insurance because it costs a whopping $95 a tube for 45 g. Now, 45 g is a lot but $95??? Anyway, after all this is over I will go on Dan's Regimen to see what happens. I think that using LOTS of BP in the morning is very good. One of the reasons for my mouth-area and chin breakouts is that I am a receptionist and hold a phone in that area off and on all day every day!

I used Differin for three months, and I had bad results. My pores looked so big, my skin was excessively oily and it was also red and dry looking. I think Differin is one of the first things prescribed when a patient comes in with acne because it is the traditional route of treatment. It's like a retinoid, which has been prescribed since the 50s or something for acne, so I guess derms give Differin a shot first before anything else. If you go to their website, www.differin.com, they have really good before and afters, so it must work for some people. But, it just didn't work for me. My new derm said that Differin was too strong for my kind of acne. I had mild acne.

I have some differin! I have been using dans regime for a week now, but if differin is effective i may try using it. Plz update this when you get the chance.

OK, it's been about one week since I started the treatment...sorry I haven't updated but I have been in France snowboarding. Anyway...were having a bit of a heatwave right now here in Europe, so consequentily I have been getting a lot of sun exposure over the past few days (along with the fact that I have been Snowboarding, so I've been outside lots). Now...I know exactly how my skin reacts to strong sun exposure, so I have been able o discern changes in my skin that were due to the differin, and which were just due to the sun. When I catch the sun, I never break out...I always end up with an even skin tone, and generally don't break out for the period when I am regularly exposed to the sun. During the last week, I saw the same thing happen..except on my forehead, where I continued to breakout. I believe that this is due to the differin as this has never happened before. Not major breakouts, just a couple of pimples. Other that this there have been no other noticeable effects...good or bad...since I started the course (apart from the fact that my skin is a little dry, but thats mostly due to the sun). I do feel that I am pespiring more, but I can probably put that down to the fact that it was over 100 degrees here this weekend. As I have had no really negative results, and the topical antibiotic that I am on as well seems to keep most breakouts at bay, I am going o stick with it and see what happens. C'ya.