Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
preciosa82

Ayurvedic skincare guaranteed to clear your skin

I bought this book called Absolute Beauty: Radiant skin and inner harmony through the ancient secrets of ayurveda by Pratima Raichur back in August since reading an article about her in a Body & Soul magazine regarding acne. According to this Doctor we all have different skin types and we should eat according to this type to keep our body balanced. We are all either Vatas, Pittas, or Kaphas or a combination of two of these types. The Vata dosha produces dry skin, Pitta produces sensitive skin -"fiery"skin that is prone to redness and inflammation-and Kapha produces oily skin. Listed below are some of the qualities.

VATA

Usually thin body frame with fine skin pores. Sometimes having a tendency toward dryness and early wrinkling. Skin can chap and crack if not moisturized. Hair is curly and voluminous, almost frizzy. Vata types can be more nervous, concerned, or cautious and need water and moisture.

PITTA

Medium build, has medium sized pores and sensitive skin with some tendency toward blotches and pimples. Soft, fine and oily hair with early graying. Recognized for intensity and sharpness of energy as well as intellect and confident personality

KAPHA

Skin tends to be thick, moist and acne prone. Generally has larger pores and doesn't form wrinkles until very old age. Heavy, big boned frame and full, vigorous hair. Tendency toward headaches and congestion. Recognized for relaxed, calm and stable energy.

If you would like to know what skin type you are you can go to www.bindi.com and take a skin type test. Or you can purchase/borrow the book which has a more detailed questionnare and also lists the recipes for remedies for each skin type. I have found this book to be very informative. You can also do a google on Ayurvedic skin type test and other sites will come up. The site listed above is the Doctor Pratima Raichur's website where she sells all the products for the various skin types. She also has another website called www.pratimaskincare.com for her spa in NYC. I made an appointment on this upcoming Saturday for a balancing and detoxifying facial. I have also started the pancha karma which is a complete detoxification to clear the body of any imbalance you may have. I also like it because you do not have to starve yourself. It is a 9 day process in which you do get to eat and must take lots of rest.

If anyone would like me to post the recipes for their skin types or the various foods that you should and should not be eating, please let me know. I would be happy to oblige. :D

I am a Kapha.

Kapha Dietary Suggestions

These dietary suggestions reflect the pure aspect of one dosha only. Each person is a combination of all three doshas, with a predominant tendency toward one or two. Therefore this chart serves only to draw general awareness to diet, in order to encourage a regimen that will promote good health.

Tastes: Biiter, pungent, astringent.

Daily dietary proportions: 30-40% whole grains, 20% proteins, 40-50% fresh vegetables & fruits.

General: YES: Warm light foods. Keep active & vary routine. NO: Dairy, heavy foods, fried foods, iced foods & drinks, sweets.

Vegetables: YES: Artichoke, asparagus, beets, bitter melon, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cilantro, burdock root, corn, daikon radish, dandelion greens, eggplant, fennel, garlic, green beans, green chili, horseradish, Jerusalem artichoke, kale, kohlrabi, leafy greens, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, peas, peppers (hot & sweet), potatoes, prickly pear, radish, rutabaga, spinach, sprouts, squash, tomatoes, turnip greens, turnip, watercress, wheat grass sprouts. NO: Cucumber, olives, parsnips, potatoes (sweet), pumpkin, spaghetti squash, taro root, tomatoes (raw), zucchini.

Fruits: YES: Astringent fruits-Apples, applesauce, apricots, berries, cherries, cranberries, figs, peaches, pears, persimmons, pomegranates, prunes, raisins, strawberries. NO: Avocado, bananas, coconut, dates, figs (fresh), grapefruit, grapes, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangos, melons, oranges, papaya, pineapple, plums, rhubarb, tamarind, watermelon.

Grains: YES: Amaranth, barley, buckwheat, cereal (cold or dry), corn, couscous, crackers, durum flour, granola, millet, muesli, oat bran, oats, polenta, basmati rice, rye, sago, seitan, sprouted wheat bread (essene), tapioca, wheat bran. NO: Bread with yeast, cooked oats, pancakes, pasta, quinoa, brown or white rice, rice cakes, spelt, wheat.

Legumes: Yes: Urad dal, aduki beans, black beans, black-eyes peas, chickpeas, lentils (brown & red), lima beans, miso, navy beans, peas, pinto beans, soy milk, soy sausage, split peas, tempeh, tofu, tur dal, white beans. NO: Kidney beans, mung beans, mung dal, soy beans, soy cheese, soy flour, soy powder, soy sauce, tofu (cold).

Dairy: Yes: Unsalted butter, cottage cheese, ghee, goat's cheese, goat's milk (skim), diluted yogurt. NO: Salted butter, buttermilk, cheese, cow's milk, ice cream, sour cream, plain or frozen yogurt, or yogurt with fruit.

Animal foods: YES: White chicken, fish rabbit, shrimp, turkey, venison, freshwater fish in small quantities. NO: Beef, buffalo, chicken, duck, lamb, pork, salmon, sardines, seafood, tuna fish, turkey (dark).

Condiments: YES: Black pepper, chili peppers, chutney (spicy), coriander leaves, horseradish, mustard, scallions, sprouts. NO: Chocolate, sweet chutney, dulse, gomasio, hijiki, kelp, ketchup, lemon, lime pickle, mango pickle, mayonnaise, pickles, salt, seaweed, soy sauce, tamari, vinegar.

Nuts: YES: Charole. No: Almonds, coconut, black walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, pines, pistachios, walnuts.

Seeds: YES: Chia, flax, popcorn, psyllium, pumpkin, sunflower. NO: Halva, sesame, tahini.

Oils: YES: Corn, canola, sunflower, ghee, almond, flax seed. NO: Avocado, apricot, coconut, olive, primrose, safflower, sesame, soy, walnut.

Sweeteners: YES: Fruit juice concentrates, honey (raw). NO: Barley malt, fructose, jaggery, maple syrup, molasses, rice syrup, sucanat, turbinado, white sugar.

Beverages: YES: Aloe vera juice, apple cider & juice, apricot & berry juice, black tea, carob, carrot & cherry juice, grain coffee, grape, mango, mixed vegetable juice, peach nectar, pear juice, pomegranate juice, prune juice, soy milk, vegetable bouillion, wine (occasionally). Herbal teas: All spicy teas including ajawan, alfalfa, basil, blackberry, burdock, cinnamon, clove, cornsilk, dandelion, elder flower, eucalyptus, fenugreek, ginger, hops, lavender, lemon balm, nettle, peppermint, raspberry, red clover, saffron, sage, spearmint, strawberry, wintergreen, yarrow. NO: Alcohol (sweet wine & beer), caffeinated beverages, carbonated drinks, coffee, cold dairy drinks, grapefruit juice, lemonade, orange, papaya, pineapple juice, rice milk, soy milk, miso broth, tomato juice. Herbal teas: Comfrey, red ginger, rose hips.

Spices: YES: All spices are good, except salt.

Food supplements: YES: Aloe vera juice, amino acids, barley green, bee pollen, brewer's yeast, royal jelly, spirulina, blue-green algae, vitamins A, B, B12, C, D, E, minerals-copper, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc. NO: Potassium.

If anyone wants more info I will gladly post it. :)

Hey searchingforthesolution,

I've been doing so much research that I was even thinking of going to school for it too. I think this is really the way to go and be healthy. I have my first facial scheduled today. I will let you know how it goes. I really thought more people would be interested in this post because I see so many posts with can I eat potatoes? Is grapefruit seed extract good for acne? What people don't really know is that something different works for everyone. We are not all made from the same constitutions so we cannot all eat the same food products. Anyway, good luck to you!

I wanted to share two other websites with you involving Ayurveda, in case you would like to have a look.

www.ayurbalance.com; www.ayurvediccure.com

There are many other educational and interesting ones, but those are two I visit a little bit more often (especially the first - you can find the test to determine your constitution, recommendations, natural facial product recipes and lots more).

Take care. :angel:

Hey thanks for the reply! Wow we have something in common. I feel the same way about everyone being a unique individual and how we respond differently to food, facial products, diets, etc... If more people became interested in Ayurveda I think they would fall in love. LOL. Seriously, this book and a lot of the sites that I have found have become sort of like a bible to me. The link you posted www.ayurbalance.com is on of my favorite sites. It has so much information. I have printed out so many recipes from there. I also recommend these sites:

http://members.aol.com/vedicsun/vediccooking.htm

http://www.allayurveda.com/recip.htm

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/dnl_skincare1.html

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/1305

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/amethystbt...lmedicines.html

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/recipe.html

http://www.simplesherbs.com/Chinese.htm

http://www.ayurvedamed.com/methods/61/

Thanks for the other site link. I'm gonna check it out.

Now for my facial. I absolutely loved it. As soon as I stepped off the elevator I could already smell the different herbs and oils at Pratima Skin Care. The spa is a small office made up of 4 rooms and front desk with a waiting room. It has dim lighting and an overall peaceful atmosphere. I had to fill out a form about myself before I had the facial done. Now mind you I had never had one done before so this was new to me. I was then brought into a room by Sonia. She asked me to take off my top and shoes and lay in the bed and cover myself with the sheet. The room was dimly lit and soothing music was on. She started by putting neem oil on my face and neck and shoulders and massaging my shoulders and top chest area. She then put wet cotton pads on my eyes and put a steam machine on my face while she massaged my neck and chest area. It was very relaxing and I was literally falling asleep when a little bell went off. She then turned the steam machine off and started massaging my entire face. She added more neem oil and then told me she was going to start the extraction process. She started at my forehead and then moved on to the left side of my face, then nose, then right side and last my chin. I'm not going to lie it did hurt. She then sprayed a nice smelling mist on my face, cleaned my face with warm water and applied a facial soothing lotion and on top a sandalwood facial mask. She then applied oil to my hands, massaged them and covered each with a napkin and put my hands inside warm gloves. She left me alone in the room for about 5 to 8 minutes. She then came back and removed the mask with warm cotton pads. She massaged my face, neck and chest area again. Then she applied neem oil and the soothing lotion. Then she told me she was finished and to get dressed. Overall, she talked to me a lot and told me what she was going to do before she did it and what she was going to apply to my skin. I loved it and am going back in 3 weeks. It was $85.00 and I think it was worth it.

I am also thinking about making an appointment for a consultation with Dr. Pratima to see if she could guide me as to internal detoxification since I have cystic acne.

hi!.. i have heard of these types of diets before as well :D .. i was just wondering if you could give me some more imformation on the pitta diet?

thanks!... i really appreiciate it :)

What if you don't fit into any dosha more than another? I can't peg myself.

I'm short and small framed like a vata, but I'm pretty muscular for my size like a pitta and I don't have a hard time gaining weight.

My face skin is oily like a kapha, but my body skin is extremely dry and cold like a vata.

My hair is thick and wavy and dark like a kapha, but instead of being oily is dry and coarse like a vata.

My eyes are dark brown like a vata, but medium sized and intense like a pitta.

And so on...I can't even answer the individual questions, let alone find any pattern and figure out my type.